Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Kurupt 10G Build

KuruptPixel

What mode do you use with the mp10? Also, I was thinking about the possibility of putting the aquaclear 70 on one end of the tank and the mp10 on the opposite to get opposing flow. Not sure if you tried that and how it worked out.

I started using Lagoon mode but have switched to a Gyre and find it has better movement. I have the MP10 just under the AC70 flow so it hits it's and churns the surface nicely. I think having it at opposite ends you'll get the same action only it may hit head on and push water down and blow your sand out... ? But it's a good idea to try!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought gyre mode needed more than one pump. Have you tried reef crest?

Not totally. Most of the settings work better with another pump on the other side but the Gyre just rotates around. Reef Crest was too drastic for me. A little too violent haha.

Not totally. Most of the settings work better with another pump on the other side but the Gyre just rotates around. Reef Crest was too drastic for me. A little too violent haha.

Ah good to know. I'm sure I'll be playing with all the modes next week when it comes in.

Ah good to know. I'm sure I'll be playing with all the modes next week when it comes in.

I like the short pulse mode as well, it makes a good wave, even in the small tank. But I find the Gyre is a good mix between Lagoon and Short Pulse.

Awesome Tank !!

With the NeoTherm 75 watt heater in the first chamber of the InTank media basket, does the AC 70 lid sit flush?

Thanks!

Unfortunately it doesn't sit flush. I pop it into place at the front and it rises a bit towards the back. You don't really notice it and it doesn't bug me at all. I thought I was gonna hate it but it's better than it being in the tank. I guess you could snip a little nub out of the back of the lid. I also found once it was running for a bit the lids on both ACs start to shimmy a bit and make a tiny bit of noise anyways, this way it kinda cushions it.

Got my mp10 today. It's awesome. So far, I'm into the nutrient transport mode. I have it on my small cube for now until I get the new tank in a few weeks. It's at 20%. I'm thinking 30-40% in the new tank.

Got my mp10 today. It's awesome. So far, I'm into the nutrient transport mode. I have it on my small cube for now until I get the new tank in a few weeks. It's at 20%. I'm thinking 30-40% in the new tank.

Nice!! Enjoy!

Picked up a couple frags last week. 2 small zoa colonies and a sweet Duncan. Couldn't get a good shot of the bright green ones just yet. They are tiny.

Kurupt10G_Polyps003.jpg

Kurupt10G_Polyps001.jpg

Kurupt10G_Finger_Jan16.jpg

Kurupt10G_Duncan2_Jan16.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few new year pics! Twitch (cleaner shrimp) and JR (emerald crab) have been eating out of our hands these days which is hilarious because they both run to the top of the rocks when it's feeding time. Been battling a few outbreaks but only on the sand so I am trying to figure that out.

FTS JAN2016

Kurupt10G_FTS_JAN_2016.jpg

Kurupt10G_Zoas_Jan16.jpg

Kurupt10G_Finger_Jan16.jpg

Kurupt10G_GreenTorch_Jan16.jpg

Kurupt10G_Rics_Jan16.jpg

I LOVE this Duncan!

Kurupt10G_Duncan_Jan16.jpg

Kurupt10G_Duncan2_Jan16.jpg

Looking good! I was thinking about a Duncan. Anything I should know?

I honestly don't do anything different for it. I blast the tank with Reefroids a few times a week. It has HUGE mouths though! Haha

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to switch out the ChemiBlue and Purigen combo I have been running so I ordered some BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon and GFO. Got it last Friday and I am pretty sure our Canadian customs opened it all up and made sure it was actually weird aquarium stuff haha. Over the course of last week I cycled out 2 gallons every second day just to freshen it all up. I added the Carbon and GFO in a filter bag Friday night. Everything is looking so clear. I'll be checking parameters tonight.

I also got a Porcelain Crab, some Bumble Bee snails and a few Left Handed Hermits to help clean the joint up a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

I needed to up my water change game because I was getting tired of seeing orange buckets in the kitchen for two days every week. Salt, cords hanging all over for a 24hr mix cycle. It was annoying.

For the last few weeks I was drawing up plans for a water mixing station out on my patio. It took a bit to get everything delivered and planned out but this past weekend I knuckled down and got it done.

I started with a SpectraPure RO/DI and added on the flush kit, in line TDS meter, and auto shut off.

Kurupt10G_RODI.jpg

I got 2 - 15G Rubbermaid Roughneck bins. I wanted to do the Brute thing but even the smaller 20G's were too large for what I wanted. I just couldn't make the design fit.

I picked up a Mag Drive 500 and plumbed out some PVC so it distributes the flow. It's on the high side for sure but I wanted it to churn.

Kurupt10G_MagDrive500.jpg

Top clean water bucket with installed float switch.

Kurupt10G_FloatChamber001.jpg

Bottom salt water bucket. In and out pipes, Mag Drive 500 and a heater.

Kurupt10G_SaltMixer001.jpg

And a full shot.

Kurupt10G_FullShot002.jpg

Kurupt10G_FullShotTilt001.jpg

I loaded it all up yesterday and it's all working great. It makes this SO much easier and now I have spare water on hand in case I need it. Most importantly, I can make water/mix salt out back with no kitchen interference.

And the stupid thing is now I have a 30G water mixing station... and a 10G display.

Now I can upgrade right?

I needed to up my water change game because I was getting tired of seeing orange buckets in the kitchen for two days every week. Salt, cords hanging all over for a 24hr mix cycle. It was annoying.

For the last few weeks I was drawing up plans for a water mixing station out on my patio. It took a bit to get everything delivered and planned out but this past weekend I knuckled down and got it done.

I started with a SpectraPure RO/DI and added on the flush kit, in line TDS meter, and auto shut off.

Kurupt10G_RODI.jpg

I got 2 - 15G Rubbermaid Roughneck bins. I wanted to do the Brute thing but even the smaller 20G's were too large for what I wanted. I just couldn't make the design fit.

I picked up a Mag Drive 500 and plumbed out some PVC so it distributes the flow. It's on the high side for sure but I wanted it to churn.

Kurupt10G_MagDrive500.jpg

Top clean water bucket with installed float switch.

Kurupt10G_FloatChamber001.jpg

Bottom salt water bucket. In and out pipes, Mag Drive 500 and a heater.

Kurupt10G_SaltMixer001.jpg

And a full shot.

Kurupt10G_FullShot002.jpg

Kurupt10G_FullShotTilt001.jpg

I loaded it all up yesterday and it's all working great. It makes this SO much easier and now I have spare water on hand in case I need it. Most importantly, I can make water/mix salt out back with no kitchen interference.

And the stupid thing is now I have a 30G water mixing station... and a 10G display.

Now I can upgrade right?

This is a very slick setup, I love it!

Thanks!

I threw in the first salt batch last night and let it all run. The Mag Drive is churning nicely. The temp caught up. I put a Hydor Coralia 240 I had sitting around in the RO bucket just to keep things moving as well. I have another one and may throw it in just because I can.

I am doing my weekly water change tonight so I am very excited to see how much faster it is! Already just filling up my top off is 10x faster. I love it. And tonight the wife will understand why I have built this beast out back when there's no buckets and mess in the kitchen every Wed night.

One of the Left Handed Hermits. Looks like a Muppet wearing Nike running gear.

Kurupt10G_LeftHandHermit.jpg

Kurupt10G_PorCrab002.jpg

Kurupt10G_HungrySnail.jpg

Kurupt10G_TorchMits003.jpg

Kurupt10G_Dunk002.jpg

Kurupt10G_TheBrain002.jpg

This guy is poppin' out heads on a daily basis it seems.

Kurupt10G_HammerWhole.jpg

Kurupt10G_BlueZoas.jpg

Archived