ReefCleaners.org

My First Saltwater tank. 29G Biocube.

Difrano

Wow you did an awesome job with that LED retrofit!

Wish I had your DIY skills!

strong retrofit dude

Thank you! It was no easy task. I love the led light but I believe my main objective of reducing temperature didnt work. After a week running the lights the tank is still running hot the leds still produce huge amounts of heat. I many need to add some extra fans to the setup.

I'll keep you posted

• Like 1

Great job! How do you like the lights? I was looking at those too.

They are awesome so bright that have to turn them down to 50%, because even the snails where pissed by them. I don't have any corals to check how the growth and colors is gping to be but so far they are very nice and fully programmable.

• Like 1

I am extremely interested in the leds that you used. How did you attach everything up into the hood? I'm also looking forward to seeing how your corals do with these lights.

I keep some of the screw bases that comes with the hood and screwed there the fans, power supply and wifi controller, the led drivers wwee glued on place, I drilled the hood for the potentiometers and did some work were the original switches were to place the new ones.

I have no corals but the light is really bright so I believe they will be fine. I'll let you know when I put some corals in.

• 2 weeks later...

09/26/2015:

My tank passed the 1 month mark :), I have a lot of algae on the back wall and the Trochus snails are enjoying the meal.

Params:

Temp: 80F

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrates: 0

PH: 8.0

Today added my first ever corals, I asked at the LFS for easy to keep ones and they pointed my to some $5 GSP and Zoa frags, I got home 3 (they have a buy 2 get 1 free policy) One GSP and two Zoas. The GSP opened minutes after being added to the tank. The Zoas are really pissed off.

75af5e60-7f31-4fde-b6bb-0188065ca469_zps

479c16e7-38e9-4d98-ba24-945625f7e2ca_zps

Please help identify the names of the corals.

Thanks

• Like 3
charnelhouse

GSP you have correct. As far as a "name" for the zoas, it's hard to tell from the pic (blurry, under blues, and they are mostly closed) if they are a "named" zoa. Most likely a zoanthid as opposed to a palythoa though. And if you want them to be named give them one. Then frag them and sell them for $150PP. :D

• Like 1

Also, I think your unknown crab hitchhiker is a red mithrax crab. Not 100% sure since I'm looking at it on my phone.

Yes Amphipod helped me with the identification.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

10/16/2015 Update,

The tank is running very well, I have a lot of Algae growing on my back wall, I decided to leave them alone my snails love to pasture there. Had no time to take pictures because I have been traveling a lot, this week i'm in Los Angeles.

On 10/03/15 I added a couple of Clowns tank raised.

On 10/10/15 I added a couple of Red Firefish goby and one Orange spotted goby.

My GSP is growing like crazy but the Zoas are always closed, maybe too much light?

The led retrofit is doing great and this week purchased a Hydor ATO brand new for $30 I will install it next week and also post some updated pictures.

• Like 2

10/22/15

Ok time for photo dump and update!

My tank is about to turn 2 months! I'm really happy to be at this point and this are still running fine! based on the difficulty of the hobby i was expecting to crash and burn with dead fishes disaster water quality etc. Still a lot to go thru but hope to keep it doing Ok!

Tank have been Ok even if in the last month i have been at home only on the weekends, my wife and kids are enjoying the tank so much that it have 2 chairs all the time in front of it to sit and watch.

My params:

Temp 80F

Nitrates: 0

PH 8.1

I'm not testing for phosphates or KH at this time.

New to the tank:

2 Clowns, still no name no agreement at the house, I may need to call for a ballot at home.

2 Red Firefish, Fairy and Dragon.

1 Orange spotted goby: Hard Face, we named it after the latin expression: Cara de Palo.

1 Tiger Shrimp: Steve, named after the mining character of Minecraft.

All of them where added during a 3 week span.

The Tiger shrimp has his story!

Last week i was working at LA and on Sunday morning I was bored at the hotel and decided to do keep with my new hobby of stalking reef stores, I ended visiting different places someof them really ugly stores with dead fishes on the tanks, others so so and a couple good ones, I liked Vivid Aquariums they had a good assortment of fishes and corals, looking at the tanks i saw a cool tiger pistol shrimp, I asked the price and the guy told me that was his last one and gave me a steal for $16... after like 1/2 an hour looking each other the shrimp convince me to take him home..... Now i was in my car with a small bag with water and a shrimp, an hotel room, and a trip scheduled for Tuesday back to Orlando. I had a problem.... i went to the nearest pump stating and bought 2 gallons of water, empty them and went back to a LFS close to the hotel... I bought 1 gallon of saltwater and asked the guy if he can sell me like 1 lb of live sand!! he just gave it for free. Arrived at my hotel set the AC to 76 F and cut the other bottle dumped the sand very slowly added some water and TARA..... Instant aquarium, acclimated the shrimp and put him in there. That night went for Sushi with the coworkers and bring back a small piece of raw snapper :P. Now back to the hotel... I was watching the little bugger eating the snapper when another problem came to my mind.... HOW DO I TRAVEL BACK TO ORLANDO WITH A PET SHRIMP!!! :D. Started research on google about fish pets and airline policy nothing found, didn't want to argue with TSA that he was not a shrimp bomb and the name pistol comes from his claw and no because he has some concealed weapon on him... I know a lot on airplanes and knew that the cargo areas are pressurized and airlines allow you to travel with bottles in the checked baggage... So my new plan use a Snapple bottle fill it with saltwater add the shrimp and pack it inside my hard hat on my checked bag... Spent next 2 days feeding him and making 2 daily water changes on the bottle i wrote with a sharpie: PET SHRIMP GOING HOME. Packed him and started my trip back, I was really worried about him, arrived at Orlando just to noticed that he was just as happy and when he left... Added to my tank and in just 1 minute he paired with the goby and started the sand dust storm! I just love them interact and work in 1 day all the empty snail disappeared and have like 3 tunnels under the rock.

This is the shrimp transport:

2015-10-21%2021.42.03_zpskxqmnuel.jpg

Now some pictures:

Updated FTS:

2015-10-21%2015.29.44_zpszbeci6lr.jpg

GSP and Zoa Frag:

2015-10-21%2015.30.24_zpsrexvg6sl.jpg

2015-10-21%2015.30.30_zpsly1ntrmg.jpg

2015-10-21%2015.31.40_zpsftyswqlf.jpg

2015-10-21%2015.31.32_zpswp0rlrht.jpg

Blanquito and Rojito:

2015-10-21%2015.30.48_zpsst6dskgu.jpg

Fairy and Dragon:

2015-10-21%2015.30.54_zpseqe01kmu.jpg

Cara de Palo:

2015-10-21%2015.31.12_zpsjwtv8zn1.jpg

Feather duster:

2015-10-21%2015.31.25_zpsvcv9wmyq.jpg

Clowns best picture i was able to get, they are just crazy:

2015-10-21%2015.32.10_zpslyixkrsi.jpg

Actinic Zoas:

2015-10-21%2021.41.28_zpsmudtaxcx.jpg

Sorry for the quality were taken with my phone

• Like 2

After 48h my tank is not the same, 1 coral plug disappeared, there is sand everywhere, tunnels and burrows that change shape every 4 hours.

I'm in love with my pistol/goby combo!

• Like 2

After 48h my tank is not the same, 1 coral plug disappeared, there is sand everywhere, tunnels and burrows that change shape every 4 hours.

I'm in love with my pistol/goby combo!

Everything is looking great! And I'm wanting to get a pistol/goby pair in my new tank :wub:

• Like 1

Everything is looking great! And I'm wanting to get a pistol/goby pair in my new tank :wub:

You will love them!, but be prepared for major tank shifts :D, he used one of my coral plugs as a ceiling reinforcement for one of the caves, lucky me he picked the one that didnt have any corals on it Now In the last 2 days the pistol shrimp stopped working on the mining company, I believe he molted, and now i realize how clear the water used to be.

• Like 1

You will love them!, but be prepared for major tank shifts :D, he used one of my coral plugs as a ceiling reinforcement for one of the caves, lucky me he picked the one that didnt have any corals on it Now In the last 2 days the pistol shrimp stopped working on the mining company, I believe he molted, and now i realize how clear the water used to be.

I'm for sure getting a pair :) Not sure if I want a pink bar goby, a yasha or a yellow watchman :)

Page three yet??

Nope, not yet!!! Darn it :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Are the crazy clownfish hosting the powerhead?

So far they tend to hang there but I don't see them hosting anything, they swim like crazy all day eating stuff from the water column.... They also sleep in the weirdest positions one sleeps vertical nose down by the powerheads, the other stay close but floating belly up on the surface.... :wacko:

• Like 1

So far they tend to hang there but I don't see them hosting anything, they swim like crazy all day eating stuff from the water column.... They also sleep in the weirdest positions one sleeps vertical nose down by the powerheads, the other stay close but floating belly up on the surface.... :wacko:

Mine used to do crazy stuff like that. Now that they're hosted by the toadstool, they happily spend most of their day in that :)

• Like 1

Update 11/12/2015

My tank is running fine pistol shrimp is a Doomsday Prepper... He may have miles of tunnels under the rocks, i believe one day ther rockscape is going to fall apart and kill him.... :(

Tank is the ugliest as it can be, im having a issue with patches of cyano here and there, and have a lot of algae grow on the powerheads and return nozzle.

I also have hard time with the Zoas, they are not growing and one frag died, the GSP instead is growing like weed.

I have to do a major maintenance tomorrow and then will post some pics!

• Like 1