Pod Your Reef

Ad's Tackle Box

Admonition

Thank you guys, yeah, like I said I've always had great service before. I was surprised and disappointed in how it arrived but I have faith that MD will make it right.

We will definitely take care of you. Please accept our apologies this even occurred. If you haven't already been in touch with our customer support department, you are welcome to email me your order # and I'll have a member of our team contact you to resolve this swiftly.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Speaking of which, thank you so much for the help! I actually have not had the chance to call into customer support because I wasn't able to fully inspect the stand and tank until tonight. Sadly the stand was damaged and missing screws (the bag of screws ripped open in transport and were all over). I went ahead and emailed you my order number and phone number, please let me know when you receive it.

I look forward to the call and getting this squared away. Thank you again for the quick help!

I received your email and have forwarded it to a support supervisor. We will be in touch shortly! In the meantime, we would like to offer our sincere apology once again and also wish you a very happy Thanksgiving holiday! We look forward to fixing this and making you a happy hobbyist once again!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Wow thank you so much! You did that so quick I didn't even get a chance to respond through here before you did lol.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Thank you guys, yeah, like I said I've always had great service before. I was surprised and disappointed in how it arrived but I have faith that MD will make it right.

Speaking of which, thank you so much for the help! I actually have not had the chance to call into customer support because I wasn't able to fully inspect the stand and tank until tonight. Sadly the stand was damaged and missing screws (the bag of screws ripped open in transport and were all over). I went ahead and emailed you my order number and phone number, please let me know when you receive it.

I look forward to the call and getting this squared away. Thank you again for the quick help!

Wow thank you so much! You did that so quick I didn't even get a chance to respond through here before you did lol.

THE-FLASH_612x380_1.jpg?itok=2Tj1YAYT

Looks like we've already got a replacement order lined up. A support manager will be emailing you to let you know the finer details. Thank you for shopping and for giving us the opportunity to make things right!

Happy T-Day,

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 2

THE-FLASH_612x380_1.jpg?itok=2Tj1YAYT

Looks like we've already got a replacement order lined up. A support manager will be emailing you to let you know the finer details. Thank you for shopping and for giving us the opportunity to make things right!

Happy T-Day,

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Lol, that image is definitely an understatement! Thank you so much for the fast help.

The awesome guys at Marine Depot definitely helped me resolve my issue quickly and I should be receiving everything within the next week or so. I can't wait to get this tank up and running. I've also been on the fence about what skimmer to use with this tank, primarily between the Aquamaxx HOB1, Ghost Midsize, and Tunze 9004. I pretty much eliminated the Tunze just because I didn't want to lose the return chamber and my ability to catch stuff in the filter floss before it goes through my back chamber. And just like that Marine Depot swoops in and has a 50% off sale on the Aquamaxx HOB1 and makes my decision that much easier. So I ordered that skimmer and I can't wait to install it!

With that being said my current tank has decided to force me to buy yet another thing, a heater. I was woken up last night to my Apex yelling at me that my tank temperature was at 77.5 degrees which is outside of my normal range. Turns out my Jager finally gave up on me and the internal thermometer broke. I ended up turning the dial up on it (because my apex will keep it in check) but I need a new heater. I did some measurements on the new tank and it looks like I should be able to fit a 100 watt Jager in the center compartment between the two returns without hitting the pump at the bottom.

• Like 1

Gotta love when you come home to boxes stacked on boxes by the front door. Yay UPS!

I came home today to a few boxes from Marine Depot, which included the MP10 covers and Coral Rx Pro dip that had gone missing. I also got another small probe/tube rack and my Aquamaxx HOB-1 that I got at a great price from Marine Depot's black friday sale! This thing is huge to say the least lol, and I'm excited to set it up on the tank. Looks like my stand should be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully it comes early and I can get the tank all set up in the livingroom. Just waiting on the replacement pump and then this baby is getting some much needed water.

Oh and I also picked up a Neptune leak detection module and probe as a christmas gift from my folks. More boxes!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So after five weeks of waiting, the replacement pump finally came!!!!!!! Needless to say I spent the day making water (about 35 gallons total with displacement). I then added my sand, rocks, and plugged that wonderful pump in. And the tank is officially wet!

I'll put a picture up tomorrow to show the scape. I ended up doing it in the shape of an 'A' tilted back. It gives me decent surface area for corals and doesn't take up all the space (but it's far from my minimalist 30L design). Also, the 100watt heater doesn't fit in the center chamber with the Tunze ATO :( I ended up putting a spare 75watt heater in chamber 3 for now. I'll have to figure out a different organization later on, but for now I have what I need to start the cycle. Bring on another few weeks of waiting =P

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 9:20 AM, NanoSteve said:

Any update Admonition?!

Actually yes! It took forever and a day but the tank is officially cycled as of today! I officially moved over the fish. As for the coral, I ended up selling it all off to a few local reefers as I wanted to start fresh. Pictures to come tomorrow when I finish transferring the Apex unit over. 

Here she is, and I'm back to a fresh start lol. I've been thinking about what to stock the tank with and I think I'm going to stick with LPS and the such. Depending on how long I can hold out against the SPS bug, I may ultimately end up with one or two easy pieces. But the goal is LPS, some softies, and a few RFAs.

32992625911_3bf9564843_k.jpg

The tank is all set up and running minus the skimmer, which I'll probably setup during my next water change to account for the extra water needed. I also replaced the old probes (which were starting to drift farther away from true), minus the ORP probe as it wasn't worth the cost to me. My clown and gramma seem to be doing well with the move. Sadly my bangaii didn't make it for the move :( 

So now the journey for coral begins ! 

• Like 1

Oh and in my brilliant planning I forgot to calculate the size of the cabinet (not accounting for the door thickness), and my 5 gal ATO container will not fit. So I also need to find a new container. While I love the look of the many aftermarket ATO containers out there, I really just want something made of one piece instead of worrying about more broken seams in yet another 'box of water'. 

I went to a local fish store I haven't been to in awhile in the hopes of finding a few pieces coral and they completely changed around the store. Luckily for me they now have a ton of great looking corals and even a bunch of fish. Needless to say I wanted everything but started with just a few basic pieces. I ended up purchasing a head of frogspawn, a three headed drag of blastos, and a single candy cane head. I also picked up a lawnmower blenny, sixline, and because my wife fell in love, an African Pygmy Angelfish. 

As as of today everyone is getting along just fine. The gramma has strangly become the dominate fish in the tank (even though he was the scaredy cat before). He subsequently gave the angel a hard time at first, but that's mainly because the angel just wanted to cuddle up next to him regardless of the gramma's demeanor lol. 

I also ended up installing the Aquamax HOB-1. This thing is definitely big and seems impressive when it's working. I had some big issues with noise when first installed, and I mean big. This thing sounded like I was blowing bubbles in my chocolate milk through a straw and could be heard across the house. With some help from other reefers here I managed to bring the noise down to something more reasonable (although still kinda noisey). I'm going to give it some time for now and see how it goes for now. 

So sad news, the sixline died. I think it was bullying from the gramma and clown, who were giving the new guys a hard time at first but I thought it had subsided. So far the angel is going strong so hopefully the other two will stop being jerks.

So the tank has been doing well. I've started to get some dinos and algae on the glass so I plan to go pick up some more snails and such today. I'm also extremely pleased with the HOB-1 skimmer. This thing has been pulling dark tea colored crap from the tank since day three, so I'm glad I was able to fix the noise issue with everyone's help. 

I also had an interesting experience this morning. I have a RODI unit which I hook up to my outside garden hose (haven't setup a station in the garage yet). So I hooked up the hose, turned on the water, and let it go for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden the pressure drops to zero. We didn't loose water in the house so I unhooked the hose end from the house and its spitting out water just fine. So I go and unhook the hose end from my RODI unit and guess what I find? 

32666085934_b192563780.jpg

<_<

I couldn't believe it. Needless to say I pulled him out and cleaned the unit but good god lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/18/2017 at 10:20 AM, Admonition said:

So the tank has been doing well. I've started to get some dinos and algae on the glass so I plan to go pick up some more snails and such today. I'm also extremely pleased with the HOB-1 skimmer. This thing has been pulling dark tea colored crap from the tank since day three, so I'm glad I was able to fix the noise issue with everyone's help. 

I also had an interesting experience this morning. I have a RODI unit which I hook up to my outside garden hose (haven't setup a station in the garage yet). So I hooked up the hose, turned on the water, and let it go for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden the pressure drops to zero. We didn't loose water in the house so I unhooked the hose end from the house and its spitting out water just fine. So I go and unhook the hose end from my RODI unit and guess what I find? 

32666085934_b192563780.jpg

<_<

I couldn't believe it. Needless to say I pulled him out and cleaned the unit but good god lol. 

That's the craziest thing I've seen yet! 

• Like 1

Yeah I was definitely glad that it wasn't my plumbing or my RODI unit that went bad lol

I finally got around to setting up the auto top off too. Sadly the 5 gallon tall container I had didn't fit inside the stand like I though it would (silly me forgot to take the door width into account). I took a look at some of those custom ATO containers but I really didn't want to spend $100+ on it, not to mention I didn't want yet another container of water with seams that could potentially bust. I ended up finding a 3.5 gallon container at The Container Store (big surprise I found something there) for $10. I went ahead and drilled two holes into the top of the container just big enough to allow my ATO's wires through, and settled that sucker into its new home. Just a tip to anyone who plans on drilling out their own holes in a plastic container, start with a small drill bit and work your way up. I actually taped both sides of the container's top where I drilled the hole, then clamped it to a piece of 2x4 i had laying around, and drilled the holes through it starting with a small bit and worked my way up to a larger one. This definitely helped not to 'catch the plastic' on the bit and potentially crack it as I've seen from others. 

33359716812_82dbc7a2e0.jpg

32672683024_23f30f5178.jpg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Admonition said:

Yeah I was definitely glad that it wasn't my plumbing or my RODI unit that went bad lol

I finally got around to setting up the auto top off too. Sadly the 5 gallon tall container I had didn't fit inside the stand like I though it would (silly me forgot to take the door width into account). I took a look at some of those custom ATO containers but I really didn't want to spend $100+ on it, not to mention I didn't want yet another container of water with seams that could potentially bust. I ended up finding a 3.5 gallon container at The Container Store (big surprise I found something there) for $10. I went ahead and drilled two holes into the top of the container just big enough to allow my ATO's wires through, and settled that sucker into its new home. Just a tip to anyone who plans on drilling out their own holes in a plastic container, start with a small drill bit and work your way up. I actually taped both sides of the container's top where I drilled the hole, then clamped it to a piece of 2x4 i had laying around, and drilled the holes through it starting with a small bit and worked my way up to a larger one. This definitely helped not to 'catch the plastic' on the bit and potentially crack it as I've seen from others. 

33359716812_82dbc7a2e0.jpg

32672683024_23f30f5178.jpg

Looks like it fits perfect in that spot.  I do love a tidy stand.  

You can never underestimate the container store.......I was briefly addicted. :)

• Admonition changed the title to Ad's Tackle Box