Innovative Marine Aquariums

••Jr's PicoAquariums 15g Bommie Reef••

JR!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice build!

However, are you considering to build a cover to prevent the salt spray from the overflow?

i have one but there isnt spray at all. going to have a few mangroves in the overflow box.

​thanks for stopping in :)

Great looking setup. Not sure if you've already sent it off to Dave but my Duo doesn't have any moonlights. It's easy to set up the blues with the Bluefish Mini.

And sidenote: I want Pico to build a cover for the back chambers in my AIO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I wanna get the ball rolling but I don't have the nano box done yet. Can I start the cycle without a light? Tank gets light from a skylight most of the day BTW.

Nitrifying battery mostly feed off of your ammonia and nitrites. Unless you're using live rock and want to keep any light dependent hitchhikers alive, a light during cycling isn't necessary.

Soooo, what Travis said! Start it up for us :)

So I wanna get the ball rolling but I don't have the nano box done yet. Can I start the cycle without a light? Tank gets light from a skylight most of the day BTW.

I cycled my tank without light and the rock stayed nice and clean. As the cycling introduces nitrates, that can fuel algae and less light will help to avoid that. Then at then end of the cycle when you do your water change to bring nitrates down you can light her up. Like antsy said, though, if you have live rock you will want to have some light and may need to soft cycle.

I usually cycle my rock in buckets or a larger Rubbermaid container. Any dry rock I've used cycles without a light, my recent 68gln I used live rock so I used a light for 5-6 hours a day. I like cyclingbout of the tank to avoid having to try 100% WC's on larger tanks especially. Your new sand will get colonized with bacteria quickly.

I can't wait to see the skimmate on the aquamaxx. Nice choice on skimmers.

I usually cycle my rock in buckets or a larger Rubbermaid container. Any dry rock I've used cycles without a light, my recent 68gln I used live rock so I used a light for 5-6 hours a day. I like cyclingbout of the tank to avoid having to try 100% WC's on larger tanks especially. Your new sand will get colonized with bacteria quickly.

I can't wait to see the skimmate on the aquamaxx. Nice choice on skimmers.

Here's a bit about the skimmer. Also cchsoracle has one and has documented it well.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342305-gtis-cad-lights-34g-mini-ii/page-11

Archived