Coral Vue Hydros

What "grinds your gears"

Gooburz

People who think engineers are the world's smartest people, people who wave degrees in your face saying "well, I have my masters/phD" etc. grinds my gears. I'm married to an engineer, and do I think he's smart? Hell yes. BUT that's saying math is be all and end all. Being good at math is not a measure of intelligence. I suck at math, totally suck at it (like took a basic computer science math to meet my math requirement sucks and having the lowest passable math score on the SAT while a near perfect score in English. I really suck at math) and yet I speak 5 languages fluently and work in a Paleontology lab for shits and giggles. (LOVE DINOSAURS!!! RAWR!!!!) Because I'm bad at math and not a scientist/engineer/doctor/other mathematically based professional, does that make me less capable or intelligent? No, because we all have our different strengths,

I may not be able to do the work my husband does, but he can't do the work I do either. As someone who struggles with math, I hate that our society seems to value that kind of intelligence more then other types. It really grinds my gears. (and yes, people have suggested I may have dyscalculia but I'm afraid to be tested and not have it and end up with the "you're just math retarded" verdict)

MATH GRINDS MY GEARS!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

People who think engineers are the world's smartest people, people who wave degrees in your face saying "well, I have my masters/phD" etc. grinds my gears. I'm married to an engineer, and do I think he's smart? Hell yes. BUT that's saying math is be all and end all. Being good at math is not a measure of intelligence. I suck at math, totally suck at it (like took a basic computer science math to meet my math requirement sucks and having the lowest passable math score on the SAT while a near perfect score in English. I really suck at math) and yet I speak 5 languages fluently and work in a Paleontology lab for shits and giggles. (LOVE DINOSAURS!!! RAWR!!!!) Because I'm bad at math and not a scientist/engineer/doctor/other mathematically based professional, does that make me less capable or intelligent? No, because we all have our different strengths,

I may not be able to do the work my husband does, but he can't do the work I do either. As someone who struggles with math, I hate that our society seems to value that kind of intelligence more then other types. It really grinds my gears. (and yes, people have suggested I may have dyscalculia but I'm afraid to be tested and not have it and end up with the "you're just math retarded" verdict)

MATH GRINDS MY GEARS!

Yeah I suck at math but my IQ is on the genius level.
porkchop-rob

The fact that there is no real pico sized wave maker grinds my gears.....c'mon people I wanna keep sps in a tiny little tank! Help me out!

LOL

MATH GRINDS MY GEARS!

Math is just a tool. Engineers earn their keep using an understanding of physical properties/phenomena and exploiting that to make things possible that otherwise wouldn't be. Math is then used to model, predict, design, etc. Math is definitely not the end all, be all...but it helps.

Have you considered that the people you're messaging aren't actually your friends?

You work at target, quit being a dick.

I'd use two different words to describe getting a degree and working as an engineer.

Getting an engineering degree is definitely hard. My circuits class's syllabus, for example, said that 60% of those who attempt the final have to retake the class. I looked around and thought, "those odds aren't too bad." By the time the end of the semester came around and we get ready to take the final, less than half the class is left. So in reality, <20% of those that were there on day one successfully passed the class (C- or better). Electronics class was like that as well. It's not like Newtonian physics where you can at least check your answer with what you witnessed all your life; does the answer make sense? I've never seen an electron move, so it wasn't intuitive at first. After a while you get there, but it is hard getting there.

I wouldn't describe working as an engineer as hard, but more like "challenging". . .in a rewarding kind of way. You work difficult problems (most that haven't been worked before . . .ever) with the world's smartest people. You are working there because you belong (no one is trying to weed you out, like in college). It is a subtle difference in words, but the connotation is definitely different.

Definitely I agree with what you say about it being more challenging. It definitely is. I guess when I look back at my EE101, probably 7-8 years ago, I'm like how the hell did this ever seem hard. Most engineers don't even understand what an engineer does until after sophomore/junior year. It's a more confusing time and I think, it's hard to force yourself to learn, and it's basically the first time anyone has done it in their life.

MATH GRINDS MY GEARS!

You'd be surprised then that engineering has nothing to do with the math problems on your SAT. And that the math that is required for engineering is much more like your expertise in language. There is an actual real reason why you may have heard "math is the language of science". The problems in high school, on your SAT, or even GRE, do not explain why this is. It's really the convenience that math offers that engineers exploit.

edit: just to clarify I also hate people who flaunt their degrees, with nothing else to show, and then criticize others. I'm not trying to criticize you :)
righttirefire

Engineers who will argue that their dimensions are correct. And it prove it by showing you a piece of paper that say it's fits. But won't leave there office to accept they ####ed up. Just because it does fit doesn't mean it can be installed... and torqued as per their spec.

Have you considered that the people you're messaging aren't actually your friends?

the ones not communicating back are not friends, the rest are.

Archived