Cultivated Reef

What "grinds your gears"

Gooburz

Okay now that I know it's reef related :P

When people post their tank pics and it looks like a bottle of Windex. Ugh. Especially when it's for an ID.

OP: "What is this?"

/post blurry, grainy, tank full of windex and rocks

well duh didn't you know these people's unidentified creature in the tank with the grainyness are actually sasquatch eggs, everyone knows for some unexplained purpose sasquatches can make their surroundings blurry and grainy, maybe so predators can't fully spot them.
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who call clowns "Nemos" ohh GAHWD!!!!

This.

I hate it when people complain about coral prices. Or when people complain that Picasso clowns aren't natural even though they ORIGINATED FROM THE REEFS ON THE SOLOMON ISLANDS! Idiots.

People who say tank raised clownfish don't associate with anemones. They tend to suggest wild caught clowns, to newbies, if they want their clown to live in an anemone.

Also I love the LEDs don't grow coral argument. If you post your nice looking coral as an example, it gets picked apart because you aren't keeping X coral so you aren't a serious keeper.

I hate elitism and this hobby is rampant with it.

+100 I don't like the "elite reefers" group where they will be very rude to the newbie for not knowing something, or will always claim pests to be an infinite evil to be killed immediately (I've always wondered with sadness how many innocent creatures have been destroyed and wasted in the name of reef keeping) some hydroids, vermetids, and some polychaetes are particularly vulnerable to being wrongly accused.

People who say tank raised clownfish don't associate with anemones. They tend to suggest wild caught clowns, to newbies, if they want their clown to live in an anemone.

Also I love the LEDs don't grow coral argument. If you post your nice looking coral as an example, it gets picked apart because you aren't keeping X coral so you aren't a serious keeper.

I hate elitism and this hobby is rampant with it.

+100 I don't like the "elite reefers" group where they will be very rude to the newbie for not knowing something, or will always claim pests to be an infinite evil to be killed immediately (I've always wondered with sadness how many innocent creatures have been destroyed and wasted in the name of reef keeping) some hydroids, vermetids, and some polychaetes are particularly vulnerable to being wrongly accused.

Well after reading this site for about a year and a half, I finally found something I can contribute and write my first post lol. I can say what has been grinding my gears and this goes for just about every hobby forum out there, is the newbie asking simple( possibly stupid) questions and seemingly not using the search function. But wait there's more... The part that gets me the most is it seems that there are ppl that just scroll through these post waiting just to say "use the search function" and then going on not answering the question just to write something along the line of I'm an elitist and how they are tired of typing the answer over and over. To me it is just as redundant to type use the search function as it is an answer. This pisses me off because when I USE the search function these post pop up and I'm still left trying to find an answer. I then spend hrs going through these threads that turn into useless post. Don't get me wrong I really like this site which is full of info ,and it has helped me tremendously and there are so many ppl that do take time to explain and I really appreciate them. And that's why I keep coming back so thank you to the ones that make this hobby a little easier.

have I been helpful?

I believe I have read quite a few threads where you posted. Since you asked, it makes me wish I had paid a little more attention to everyone's names that have posted advice now that I joined up. I will for now on.

I believe I have read quite a few threads where you posted. Since you asked, it makes me wish I had paid a little more attention to everyone's names that have posted advice now that I joined up. I will for now on.

its good to rember some of our names :) have my posts been helpful though, I ask since a man can not be the judge of himself.

Dead fish in LFS tanks. I realise fish die, but if you cant be arsed to get a net and fish it out as soon as you see it then don't expect to see my money.

So I see on the FB page along with here people asking questions and you give them a solid answer with facts to back it up and they have the audacity to call you out and say you are wrong despite they are asking the question or even better their friends come in saying the same dumb crap despite not knowing a thing......Despise ignorant reefers, no matter how hard you try to help them they will just ignore and go for the fail option and then cry about it.

you just described my fu...ing co worker. same crappy conversation about anything. she always insists in bs that dont even know how they look like or sound like.But finally i realized that the reason behind that is that this woman has been ignored and denied by her own mother the whole life giving all the credits to her brother, even if he was wrong. So, at least you my friend can just cancel that group on fb, what do i do? quite the job?... lol. so calm down, its not worth it stressing yourself for a bunch of idiots that are going to pull their hair tomorrow for not actually getting your advice.

I hate dead fish. And "pests" bubble algea mostly. But seeing a sps discolored and the little crab still working away at it..

good thing bubble algae aren't coral killers, or killers of anything when you think of it. Mr crabs is having a necrotic coral buffet, why can't the coral get treatment?

Hype.

If it's RL, it's kids who go to college and believe they should get an "A" even though they don't study crap for it..... Or cheat their way for an 'A'..... Or people who want pick a major but don't want to take certain classes to get there (I met a nursing major and that person did not want to take bio or chem classes even though they really really really really want to be a nurse).

HecticDialectics

The makeshift lounge and all who suggest a thread in general discussion to be in the lounge grinds my gears.

The lounge isn't for the weak-willed who beg for acceptance

What really "Grinds My Gears"

Self proclaimed "Experienced" reefers that are so full of information to new reefers, yet their tanks look like a steaming pile of crap....

People put some rock and water together and think they qualify to give advice

Mould consider myself new and I have been reefing for 4 years. I'm still learning so much

What really "Grinds My Gears"

Self proclaimed "Experienced" reefers that are so full of information to new reefers, yet their tanks look like a steaming pile of crap....

Hah, true! Or they never dare post a photo of their tank because they know...

its good to rember some of our names :) have my posts been helpful though, I ask since a man can not be the judge of himself.

I hear ya, yes you have been helpful.

CosmicCanine

When someone posts "Ferst tank" and it looks better than mine...

In real life, SNOBBY PEOPLE!!!! GAH!

Hah, true! Or they never dare post a photo of their tank because they know...

Hey now... I have a thread going now. ?

Before I admit it was horrible and I didn't have a thread but I do tons of reading so I gave advice when I felt I could.

Archived