Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I received an email from photobucket saying that they disabled my 3rd party hosting and that I need to upgrade ($) if I want to continue. I generally don't trust emails like that, so before I get an account somewhere else (no way I'm paying) I thought I should test it.  If this works, new coral pics coming later. 

P6241863_zpsmghwvrax.jpg

Yep, they've done this to other people in the last day too.  I suspect the backlash is going to be strong and ugly. 

I'm using Flickr right now, seems to be alright.

• Like 1
graftobny142
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yep, they've done this to other people in the last day too.  I suspect the backlash is going to be strong and ugly. 

Wow, this is going to hit thousands and thousands of forums hard. Especially older posts where the author is not updating.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Geez that sucks.  They've lost me.  Off to Flickr!

3 hours ago, themummra said:

Wow, this is going to hit thousands and thousands of forums hard. Especially older posts where the author is not updating.

Do you think it will delete my old photos?  Because the new one I tried didn't show up, but I just checked and everything posted before the 3rd party disable is still there.  

20 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Do you think it will delete my old photos?  Because the new one I tried didn't show up, but I just checked and everything posted before the 3rd party disable is still there.  

This was a terrible decision on their part. I get that they may want to make more money, but find another way. I bailed on photobucket a while ago, and have had no problems with Flickr. I would just save everything off photobucket, rehost on flickr, and try to edit your posts with the new photo links for now. 

That sucks :(

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I don't think it will delete them but you may find the pics stop showing up.  Nano sapiens started a whole new tank thread on his 9 year old tank over this debacle.

6 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

This was a terrible decision on their part. I get that they may want to make more money, but find another way. I bailed on photobucket a while ago, and have had no problems with Flickr. I would just save everything off photobucket, rehost on flickr, and try to edit your posts with the new photo links for now. 

I agree.  I think this is a poorly thought-out business decision that is going to hurt them far more than they realize.  I stopped using their site because it was so full of buggy ads, but this definitely would have turned me off to them... guess I better rescue the pics I've got on there lol.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
15 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

I agree that it was a poor choice. I'm actually tempted to upgrade, at least temporarily, because if I rehost my photos, it's going to take a long long time. There's probably a few hundred throughout the thread :( 

15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I don't think it will delete them but you may find the pics stop showing up.  Nano sapiens started a whole new tank thread on his 9 year old tank over this debacle.

I agree.  I think this is a poorly thought-out business decision that is going to hurt them far more than they realize.  I stopped using their site because it was so full of buggy ads, but this definitely would have turned me off to them... guess I better rescue the pics I've got on there lol.

The ads drive me crazy!  That would suck if my pics stopped showing up :(. This whole thing is pissing me off so much. 

I just got caught up! Congrats on finishing another year of school, and on the new corals! Btw, I use Seachem Reef Builder. I like that it's easy to use and I know exactly what's in it. I've never used anything else but I've never seen any reason to switch.

The Photobucket thing is awful. I never liked them because of the ads, and it seemed like they were always having outages anyway. I've always used Flickr and never had a problem. Plus the user interface works a lot better. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I agree that it was a poor choice. I'm actually tempted to upgrade, at least temporarily, because if I rehoat my photos, it's going to take a long long time. There's probably a few hundred throughout the thread :( 

The ads drive me crazy!  That would suck if my pics stopped showing up :(. This whole thing is pissing me off so much. 

Yeah there's a lot of unhappy people on their Photobucket page.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I agree that it was a poor choice. I'm actually tempted to upgrade, at least temporarily, because if I rehoat my photos, it's going to take a long long time. There's probably a few hundred throughout the thread :( 

I'm in the same boat, except that I have threads with pics hosted on PoopBucket going back to 2006

I tried to start saving pics elsewhere yesterday, but they saved all "wonky" looking. 

Corrupted? Some weird PB thing?

Ugh.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I just got caught up! Congrats on finishing another year of school, and on the new corals! Btw, I use Seachem Reef Builder. I like that it's easy to use and I know exactly what's in it. I've never used anything else but I've never seen any reason to switch.

The Photobucket thing is awful. I never liked them because of the ads, and it seemed like they were always having outages anyway. I've always used Flickr and never had a problem. Plus the user interface works a lot better. 

Thanks teeny!  I'm planning on ordering Reef Builder this weekend.  I'm definitely going to switch to Flickr. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm in the same boat, except that I have threads with pics hosted on PoopBucket going back to 2006

I tried to start saving pics elsewhere yesterday, but they saved all "wonky" looking. 

Corrupted? Some weird PB thing?

Ugh.

OMG that sucks!  I think I still have copies of all the originals on my computer, but it would be easier to just save them all off photobucket. I hope you can get all yours saved. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Just to be absolutely sure that I have to move all my pics to Flickr and redo the links in my post, I've asked photobucket. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but better make sure before I spend many many hours on that.  I won't be spending much time on image stuff today, because it's Canada day, and I have festivities to enjoy (honestly, the festivities in my town are kind of sad, but there's supposed to be great fireworks!). 

Yesterday I placed all the coral, but sorry, no pics :furious: I moved all 10 blastos onto the same rock. The Favias are next to each other also, let's hope they don't kill each other.   The st.Thomas is in a somewhat a shady location, I'll see how it likes it. 

edit:  Holy #### I just checked photobucket and to allow 3rd party hosting, they want you to buy a membership that costs $400 a year.  WTF....

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

It's going to be, well, probably months before my thread is fixed.  In the meantime, I've made a flickr account, and I'm trying to figure it out.

Budgie favia

35614951336_05e9b3072c_k.jpgimage1.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Freebie, a cranberry favia I believe

35614951796_fdc416c81d_k.jpgimage2.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

St. Thomas

35654677895_4eddfd698c_k.jpgimage3.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

This Duncan is ever so slightly different than my pink one

35524305761_053fd9f576_k.jpgimage4.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Blastos!  so many blastos!

35654677915_c255c86c46_k.jpgimage5.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Favia and Duncan placement

35524305481_b95eb37eac_k.jpgimage6.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

St. Thomas placement, and I moved the frilly shroom

35654677745_e836898e90_k.jpgimage7.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Blasto garden!  Apparently one fell off, I'll fix it later

35524305101_5d24d8454a_k.jpgimage8.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm already liking flickr 10x better.  That took way less time to upload, and no pop ups ads!

In not great news, it sounds like the dendro is going downhill again.  I'll take a look at it.  That coral confuses me so much.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Geez it has not been a good couple days aquarium wise for me. I lost my old neon tetra yesterday, who lived for years despite having a REALLY crooked spine, the dendro is nearly fleshless, my acans are declining, and Sir Lancelot, my knight goby, passed today after owning him for nearly 6 years :tears: I had a love hate relationship with him.  I had been intending to rehome him for the last couple years, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with him.  Farewell Lance, eater of neon tetras (ask me how I found that one out!). 

Does low alk piss acans off? That's the only thing coming to mind that might be leading to their demise.  I gave the dendro an iodine dip.  Blasto garden is looking pretty fabulous.  Pics probably tomorrow.  Unless I'm working on PB to flicker transfers.  My goal is to have my thread fully restored by the end of summer.

fishfreak0114

I've spent most of my day transferring images from photobucket to Flickr, and Flickr to NR.  I think I have almost 2/5 of my thread restored. If I work like this for a day or two more, perhaps it will be back to its former glory.

Seeing all my photos has been interesting.  I feel sad for the many things I've lost, amazed at the growth of some of the coral, and it's insane how much the tank changes, even in a span of a few months, what with me constantly moving things around. One thing I've noticed, both from seeing old pictures and reading old posts, is how I've grown since starting this tank.  I was 14 when it started, and it shows.  I worded some things different than I would now, I was absolutely horrified by sea spiders, and I put in SO.MANY.SHELLS.  Ones that couldn't even be used for the hermits!  Why?!  Oh that's right, because I "just like shells :D". :lol:

So anyways, I finally ordered some supplies.  They had a sale at reefsupplies for Canada Day that saved me a whole $3 on my $60 order.  But saving are savings, right?  I bought glue, epoxy, frag plugs, and seachem reef builder.  I'm super excited to start dosing alk (not because I want to be manually dosing, but because I hope to see happier corals and maybe even more growth).  The plates won't be on the sand for much longer because I finally bought a frag rack!!!!!!!  I've wanted one for a long time, but I never really had the need.  My mom is splitting the cost with me.

My mom texted me a pic of the blasto garden today

34842955184_280f544401_k.jpg20170702_113317_resized by orb1915, on Flickr

Know what's crazy?  I had a pink/purple pastel Yuma.  It walked to the back of my rocks.  It decided it wanted to try living in a cave.  I knew cave=darkness=death.  I cut it off (gently), and tried to get it to attach elsewhere.  It blew away, never to be seen again.  Today, a month later, it came back!  Very happy :)

• Like 3

I really enjoy going back through old pictures and seeing how much everything has grown, including myself as a reefer. I think taking pictures is one of those things we don't really think about as beginning reefers, but it really is very important!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yay!  Glad the yuma came back!  It is interesting to see how things change, isn't it?

Now I just have to get it to stay put!  It's funny to see how many things I've moved in the last month. No wonder I needed more epoxy and glue already!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I really enjoy going back through old pictures and seeing how much everything has grown, including myself as a reefer. I think taking pictures is one of those things we don't really think about as beginning reefers, but it really is very important!

I definitely take way more pictures now then I did in the beginning. Mind you, there's also a lot more to take pictures of. I have a photo from my first waterchange. I did it with very small airline tubing, and it took about an hour to drain 16L :lol: I had totally forgotten about that!  

My photography in the beginning was all blurry phone pics too. Now I use my camera almost exclusively, because I still have an iPhone 4, and the camera isn't awesome. Not bad, but not great either. 

• Like 2

I have a pic of my very first Tetra Water Wonders setup with a hunk of gracilaria in the back that filled up half the tank! :lol: I have pics somewhere my my DSLR that's in storage of my first 5.5 and some of them are gorgeous.  I hope I can find and share them at some point.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have a pic of my very first Tetra Water Wonders setup with a hunk of gracilaria in the back that filled up half the tank! :lol: I have pics somewhere my my DSLR that's in storage of my first 5.5 and some of them are gorgeous.  I hope I can find and share them at some point.

It would be great to see those pics.  It's really fun looking back.  I mean, why take pictures if we never look at them?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It would be great to see those pics.  It's really fun looking back.  I mean, why take pictures if we never look at them?

I know, right!?  If I ever find them again I will be posting them lol.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just found out that I'm going to Vancouver this weekend, so that means this is my yearly chance to buy cool stuff from different stores.  I think we'll be going to at least 3.  I want to add one (maybe 2?) fish.  The problem is, I can't decide!  Some input would be greatly appreciated.  I'm almost thinking yellow line goby and shrimp goby?  I might not be able to find these fish, but it's worth a shot.  So my options are below, with any feeling I have about each.

1. Yellow clown goby; small enough to probably add a 6th fish, Bright color, not sure about compatibility with GCG

2. Yellow watchman goby/pink bar shrimp goby/randall's shrimp goby/wheeler's goby/flagtail goby/hi-fin goby + randall's pistol shrimp: very cool relationship, not sure which goby is best (maybe smaller so as to add a 6th fish-suggestions?), not sure if burrowing would be bad/annoying because I have sand bed corals, my mom is in love with the pink bar

3. Neon goby; adorable, small

4.yellow line goby; adorable, small, love the yellow!  That's one color I love but don't have enough of (maybe preferred over neon then?)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So I just tested my alk post-water change.  Unfortunately I didn't test before, but now my alk is up to 8.3?!  That's quite a leap from where it was after the last water change.  I don't really know what's up.  I'll keep monitoring changes in alk, and when the reef builder gets here I guess I'll just do my best to figure out how much to dose. 

• Like 2

Don't make big decisions based on one alk test, either up or down. Test at least two or three days in a row, or even test every other day for a week. It's a lot easier to see trends and throw away "bad" measurements that way. In my tanks, I've noted that the alk level spikes a bit right after a water change, but then goes back down a day or two later. Also, make sure you test at the same time of day each time because alk goes up and down on a daily cycle.

As far as fish go, I love yelow clown gobies, but many people (including me) have had trouble getting them to eat and survive. Also, they can nip at sps.

A yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp would be a great option and not too big, but they will definitely move some sand. In my 40, once I learned where they like to burrow, I was able to place corals on the sand in the spots they leave alone. Options 3 and 4 are both good choices too!

• Like 1