Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
35 minutes ago, streamline.by.design said:

Check your Mag. It is the key to keeping your CAL and ALK balanced. 

Unfortunately, I don't own a test kit for Mag, nor do I have an LFS who can test it for me.  The only things I can test for are temp, Sg, alk, and calcium.  My phosphate kit just expired, and I doubt I'll be replacing it (only used it a couple times). Next time I'm at an LFS, I'll look at their kits for Mag :) Funny enough, I was just thinking as I tested, "I wonder what my mag's at"

I re-tested, and post-water change, calcium is 440, and alk is 7.3. I will definitely be doing another water change.  It raised about the same amount before/after this water change as two weeks ago, but overall, alk was lower this time.  I am going to do some reading into dosing, because doing twice as many water changes to keep alk up isn't practical for me, and clearly the corals are consuming it faster than my bi-weekly water changes are correcting it.  And RSCP costs me $100 a pail at the nearest LFS, so I'm guessing dosing would be cheaper.

fishfreak0114

Thought it was time to post a new FTS :)  I forgot to clean the glass -_-

P6141639_zpsoemjr4pr.jpg

P6141643_zpskhqebm1s.jpg

P6141648_zpsghlgwncv.jpg

P6141650_zpsbkhb4jca.jpg

Here is the damage to the lobo.  I dipped it on Sunday, and in the couple days since it doesn't appear to have worsened.  I'll do another dip soon.  Not giving up hope!

P6141651_zpsodklqdqp.jpg

The five plates I have removed so far.  All seem healthy :)

P6141652_zpsxblij30i.jpg

The orange acan has looked bad for the last week.  I think it's time for a dip

P6141653_zpsimofv5kt.jpg

P6141655_zpsqagjg4dc.jpg

• Like 5
fishfreak0114

Today we got out class schedules for next year, and like usual they need to be changed.   I'm torn.  One option will give me a hard socials teacher, new math teacher who may or may not be good, and physics 12 with a hot teacher who people either love or hate because of how he teaches.  Option two gives me an easier socials teacher, a math teacher who's awesome, but art in the place of physics.  Do I choose the hard course or the easy course?  I really want to get the most out of my free education, so I feel like I'll take the hard course...the struggle! 

I've been eyeing up some blastos on Canada Corals, and I just got paid today, so I'm very tempted...

Would you rather study art or physics for that last class?  Frankly I would choose a good math teacher and a good socials teacher, whether s/he is "easy" or not--what's easy for one may not be easy for another!

And I'd always pick art, but that's me, art was my favorite subject. :lol:

Oh, and I shouldn't say blastos are always a good idea, but I will! :D

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

I always recommend a good math teacher. I'm a community college professor and lots of my students come in weak in math. It really slows down their progress and affects them even in classes you wouldn't expect. 

Besides a lot of reef keeping requires basic math skills - if you want to raise your alkalinity by 2 how much baking soda do you need to add? :lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

I always recommend a good math teacher. I'm a community college professor and lots of my students come in weak in math. It really slows down their progress and affects them even in classes you wouldn't expect. 

Besides a lot of reef keeping requires basic math skills - if you want to raise your alkalinity by 2 how much baking soda do you need to add? :lol:

The best math instructor I ever had was at a community college--I'd hated math all the way through school and enrolled in her calculus I class right after graduating high school.  She made calc seem simple and even easy and I REALLY enjoyed it!  I would've taken calc II and III with her too had I not moved away lol.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Would you rather study art or physics for that last class?  Frankly I would choose a good math teacher and a good socials teacher, whether s/he is "easy" or not--what's easy for one may not be easy for another!

And I'd always pick art, but that's me, art was my favorite subject. :lol:

Oh, and I shouldn't say blastos are always a good idea, but I will! :D

That's where I'm torn. I really enjoyed physics this semester, but I did struggle with it occasionally.  The social studies class with a teacher that gives A LOT of homework would be in the same semester as physics.  I think I'm going to go speak to the physics teacher to see how much of a leap in difficulty 11-12 is, and how much homework he gives.  Because I only have so much time in the day.  I really enjoy art.  It's relaxing, and there isn't homework.  Perhaps I'll push physics 12 to grade 12...

I think blastos might be my favorite coral.  I want to collect as many varieties as I can!

2 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

I really like the teacher I had this year because of the way he teaches (it makes sense), and the homework he assigns is optional.  I could keep my math grade up no matter who the teacher is, but I would probably enjoy math with my teacher from this year more.

:lol:

15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That's where I'm torn. I really enjoyed physics this semester, but I did struggle with it occasionally.  The social studies class with a teacher that gives A LOT of homework would be in the same semester as physics.  I think I'm going to go speak to the physics teacher to see how much of a leap in difficulty 11-12 is, and how much homework he gives.  Because I only have so much time in the day.  I really enjoy art.  It's relaxing, and there isn't homework.  Perhaps I'll push physics 12 to grade 12...

I think blastos might be my favorite coral.  I want to collect as many varieties as I can!

I really like the teacher I had this year because of the way he teaches (it makes sense), and the homework he assigns is optional.  I could keep my math grade up no matter who the teacher is, but I would probably enjoy math with my teacher from this year more.

:lol:

Did you see my new blastos?  I looooooooove them!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
45 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Did you see my new blastos?  I looooooooove them!

They're gorgeous! If I ever see some like those, I'll be sure to snatch them up!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Why oh why do I torture myself?  I just browsed Canada Corals and they have FOUR blastos that I want.  I may need to make an order...

They also had a blue porcelain carb, a small St.Thomas mushroom, and a blue discoma carlgrenii!  Might have to ask the mom about a "congratulations you passed grad 10" present :P

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I'm about to do that extra water change I mentioned earlier this week.  I decided to test alk and calcium before.  Calcium was at 425, and alk was down to 5.2 again.  The corals seem to be consuming alk like crazy, but calcium not so much.  The baby plates are probably sucking up a decent amount, as well as Frank the hammer, who has been sprouting little heads that will probably not grow past nubs (that has been my experience so far) but they do make a lump of skeleton.  I haven't had time to read up on dosing or order anything yet because there's only a week and a half left of school, so I'm spending a lot of time on my final assignments of the year.  As long as everything continues to look healthy, I don't think this is something that needs immediate attention.  Extra water changes will be fine for now.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Happy Father's Day!

This year, because my dad is a big Batman fan, I decided to pick an image and paint it onto a poster paper.  I think it turned out pretty good :)

batman_zpsuihdclfw.jpg

• Like 5
fishfreak0114

The blasto addict in me won! <_<  Four blastos ordered, and a St. Thomas! :haha:

Frosty berry blasto

frosty%20berry%20blasto_zpsdlcvmmdd.jpg

Neutrino blasto

neutrino%20blasto_zpsqfaqngzw.jpg

Purple sun blasto

34926720014_cac66a3f9c.jpgpurple sun blasto_zpsjhwb4mq2 by orb1915, on Flickr

Radiant red blasto

34926719954_cbd8786b34.jpgradiant red blasto_zpsbomvp58l by orb1915, on Flickr

Teeny St. Thomas mushroom

35379766460_342f7ff335.jpgst. thomas mushroom_zps66dxmpfx by orb1915, on Flickr

I have no idea where I'm going to put all this, but I'll find a spot!  My wallet is hurting...the neutrino and radiant red were nearly $50 a piece :blink: Naturally, I'm worried those two are going to die, because whenever I buy something expensive it dies :rolleyes:  The St. Thomas is pretty small, but it's also way cheaper than all the full size ones.  I'm hoping it grows as quick as most mushies, the tonga frilly mushroom I bought a couple months back is already getting big.

In other news, I fixed my class schedule.   I kept the hard social studies teacher, but I got into an art class, and thankfully the only way math and art could both fit in my schedule was to have math with the best math teacher.  They're only moving people into that class if it's the only way to make their schedule work, because everyone wants the same math teacher :)

Today I broke off a few more plates. One accidentally broke in half :( I glued each piece to its own plug though, because the one that was damaged last time still puffs up, and I think it'll be alright.

I have a few crappy pics to post up, just to I can point out a few things.  I think I might get them up tonight :) 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The blasto addict in me won! <_<  Four blastos ordered, and a St. Thomas! :haha:

Frosty berry blasto

frosty%20berry%20blasto_zpsdlcvmmdd.jpg

Neutrino blasto

neutrino%20blasto_zpsqfaqngzw.jpg

Purple sun blasto

purple%20sun%20blasto_zpsjhwb4mq2.jpg

Radiant red blasto

radiant%20red%20blasto_zpsbomvp58l.jpg

Teeny St. Thomas mushroom

st.%20thomas%20mushroom_zps66dxmpfx.jpg

I have no idea where I'm going to put all this, but I'll find a spot!  My wallet is hurting...the neutrino and radiant red were nearly $50 a piece :blink: Naturally, I'm worried those two are going to die, because whenever I buy something expensive it dies :rolleyes:  The St. Thomas is pretty small, but it's also way cheaper than all the full size ones.  I'm hoping it grows as quick as most mushies, the tonga frilly mushroom I bought a couple months back is already getting big.

In other news, I fixed my class schedule.   I kept the hard social studies teacher, but I got into an art class, and thankfully the only way math and art could both fit in my schedule was to have math with the best math teacher.  They're only moving people into that class if it's the only way to make their schedule work, because everyone wants the same math teacher :)

Today I broke off a few more plates. One accidentally broke in half :( I glued each piece to its own plug though, because the one that was damaged last time still puffs up, and I think it'll be alright.

I have a few crappy pics to post up, just to I can point out a few things.  I think I might get them up tonight :) 

Those blastos! :o  :wub:  I think St. Thomas mushies are a bit slower to grow than others but they do eventually grow and yours is a nice one!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

There's a lot!

All these frags plugs have plates on them.  Usually when I vacuum my sand bed I move every coral so I can get as much of it clean as possible, but I don't think I'm going to be doing that for a while :unsure:

35379771350_f578f4f081_b.jpgP6201707_zpsxxlv42x0 by orb1915, on Flickr

Jim was very photogenic today

34926720244_6ef003ac42_b.jpgP6201705_zps0k2cyypk by orb1915, on Flickr

P6201697_zps9rdmuhsy.jpg

P6201695_zpstr0lmmu4.jpg

P6201693_zpsmtw15h44.jpg

This candy cane has finally grown a second mouth.

35379771450_87c0bbd585_b.jpgP6201703_zpsfxer3dsd by orb1915, on Flickr

The tonga frilly mushroom has grown quite a bit I think

34957632373_eaee0402c7_b.jpgP6201700_zpskhksi9ei by orb1915, on Flickr

Today the toadstool flopped all funny.  I think it's shedding

P6201692_zpstjskymvb.jpg

I'm going to move this blasto a bit so that it is out of the shadows

P6201691_zpssvrth35f.jpg

A couple shots of how large the watermelon favia has grown.  The first one is blurry because it's at a weird angle.  It extends further back than shown in the pick

P6201689_zpst4ebdfwj.jpg

P6201688_zpszngkf3o2.jpg

34957625273_d11c02d052_b.jpgP6241856_zpsmjebl1zp by orb1915, on Flickr

A year and a half ago

P2010006_zpsprepnpsc.jpg

I think I've finally found a place where this toadstool is happy.  I realized it was the flow, not the abrupt change to high light, that upset it the last two times I tried to place it

P6201687_zpsle6ipzwa.jpg

The blasto has nearly recovered!  It's made great progress in the last few days.  The little ones off the sides are growing pretty well, I feed my blastos a lot!  I think the nuclear green polyp is growing to close, I may have to relocate it.

P6201683_zpsc0wzeydy.jpg

This is the biggest of the baby plates at just over an inch across.  I think I'll keep that one

P6201681_zpsebuadcwl.jpg

I might be wrong, but I almost think that the lobo is getting better.  It looked like it regained some color.  I will continue dipping and feeding

P6201678_zpscaked134.jpg

The dendro has been looking so good lately.  I still feed it regularly.  I love how vibrant the green has become (the picture washes it out)

P6201675_zpsvhwmvbov.jpg

The trumpet has nearly healed.  I hope it likes where I put it, slightly in the shadows

P6201673_zps9unh6ena.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are pink leopards.  While coral browsing, I found some that looked very similar

P6181672_zpsld2udwkx.jpg

This was a quick pic I took a few days ago

P6181669_zpshpijimjr.jpg

The Japanese leather has grown a fair amount since I got it almost 6 months ago

P6171666_zpsxfwzguy3.jpg

P6171668_zps3aj6gitj.jpg

6 months ago

P1070915_zpspcq5sxsy.jpg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
27 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Everything is looking great!  So glad your corals are recovering!

Thanks!  I'm really happy that the blasto is healing, I was a little worried about it in the beginning.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Apparently it's going to be 6-8 days before I even hear from Canada Corals because they're very busy :(  When I do get an email, I'll try to pick the soonest shipping date possible because I want my blastos!!!

I've been looking into 2-part, and I think I might get b-ionic.  Once alk was up to normal levels, I could use both parts.  Would it be possible to dose every couple of days?  Or would that mess it all up?  This whole low alk thing is really stressing me out, because I know I have to do something about it.  If I do start dosing, I'm definitely going to have to ask some questions.

12 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Apparently it's going to be 6-8 days before I even hear from Canada Corals because they're very busy :(  When I do get an email, I'll try to pick the soonest shipping date possible because I want my blastos!!!

I've been looking into 2-part, and I think I might get b-ionic.  Once alk was up to normal levels, I could use both parts.  Would it be possible to dose every couple of days?  Or would that mess it all up?  This whole low alk thing is really stressing me out, because I know I have to do something about it.  If I do start dosing, I'm definitely going to have to ask some questions.

It's pretty impressive to me that your tank looks so healthy with Alk being low like that. 

It's been a few years since I used B-Ionic (getting ready to start using again soon), but I suspect you could use it every other day. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
45 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's pretty impressive to me that your tank looks so healthy with Alk being low like that. 

It's been a few years since I used B-Ionic (getting ready to start using again soon), but I suspect you could use it every other day. 

I find it weird that everything looks healthy still, and I'm worrying because I don't know how long that will last.  Do you think I could dose it twice a week?  With my schedule, I couldn't do every other day.  Maybe my mom could pitch in. 

10 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I find it weird that everything looks healthy still, and I'm worrying because I don't know how long that will last.  Do you think I could dose it twice a week?  With my schedule, I couldn't do every other day.  Maybe my mom could pitch in. 

Well, your tank obviously looks healthy and with that being the case I say try twice a week and see how it goes. 

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It's funny because I had the mini st-tomas mushroom and that radiant red encrusting Blasto in my Canada Corals cart. xD

• Like 1