inTank Media Baskets

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

We'll just got up and guess what? The hammer was stinging the RFA :(. That's thing is seriously pissed. I wonder if it will walk somewhere new?

fishfreak0114

The fish got outta QT today! They seem to be adjusting nicely, the coral beauty has begun grazing on the pods all over my glass (I'm sure they'll be gone in no time) and swimming lots, and the blenny has been alternating between perching and hovering in the flow :) I have a couple pics, but first a few of my leo, Tobias...

image_zps8xlmg9wq.jpeg

image_zpse5rqevvr.jpeg

image_zpsnnfmdqmd.jpeg

So fast! Hard to get a decent pic

image_zpsfrgvrpfo.jpeg

This guys pretty chill

image_zpsjvpaurfs.jpeg

The dendro continues to be awesome...

image_zpssleefwoj.jpeg

I spent halloween chewing down on this lovely marshmallow covered popcorn :wub:

image_zpskl9kg4cu.jpeg

Well it's less than two months until christmas, so naturally I needed to put up my little tree I got at dollarama! Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to decorate the whole house yet :(

image_zpstwmz3cms.jpeg

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

I have a pretty incredible story to tell. Not fishy, but about Tobias. I honestly can't believe my eyes. Or his...

So back in July/august (forget which) I noticed that my leo had lost an eye! I believe the crickets mobbed him, leaving him with just a healed socket on the right side. His hunting skills went way down, he lost some weight and I switched him over to meal worms to fatten him up recently.

image_zpskc4ngqic.jpeg

Tonight I was watching him eat, and all of a sudden I was like WTF is in his socket!!! I thought it was some sort of parasite. Lots of googling yeilded no results...

image_zpsfo3hay7q.jpeg

I went back for a better look and it popped right off before my very eyes! Silly gecko tried to eat it :lol:

image_zps6fhqywcq.jpeg

And what lay underneath?...

A new eye!!!

image_zpskhpfzuuv.jpeg.

It's a bit smaller than his other one and not terribly visible in that pic, but it's there! Maybe I'll try and get a better pic. Honestly I'm kind of in shock because all my reading has said that they don't do that. They can regrow tails not EYES! He's a damn miracle gecko :wub:

• Like 4

Geckos are pretty bad ass... I had a white line gecko a while back that was pretty awesome. Amazing creatures.

Nice tank - admittedly I didn't read through the entire thread but even skipping around here and there I got a good sense of how the tank has matured. It does seem like you've had a lot of problems - I've been trying to think of some ideas to help stabilize things but I haven't really thought of anything yet...

Anyways - I like the diversity of corals you have - and the way you've comingled them. Obviously it doesn't work out in every case (hopefully you can put enough distance between some of your aggressive corals/nems) but sometimes we learn new things by thoughtfully taking some of those types of risks.

Finally good luck with the QT procedure. I don't think I came across how you're going through the QT process? I'll share that earlier this year I had some awesome QT results by using macro in my QT. I have a refugium with chaeto and caulerpa prolifera. Well one day I harvested a bunch and randomly stuck some in my QT tank (I keep it set up). The fish responded to the macro quite well. Besides giving them some diverse hiding spots it also provides oxygenation and to a degree some biological filtration capabilities as well. Not saying anyone must or even should use macros in their QT - but I thought it was cool and fish acted much more natural for the 3 weeks or so they were chilling in QT. Obviously there may be conflicts with medications so only for the observation stage of QT.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Yay, someone that shares the same love for Christmas as me!! I love decorating the house. My boyfriend prefers that I wait until after Thanksgiving. I told him I wanted a little tree for each room and he didn't like that idea lol.

• Like 2

Yay, someone that shares the same love for Christmas as me!! I love decorating the house. My boyfriend prefers that I wait until after Thanksgiving. I told him I wanted a little tree for each room and he didn't like that idea lol.

We wait until after Thanksgiving, but my wife is a firm believer in a Christmas tree in every room. :D

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Geckos are pretty bad ass... I had a white line gecko a while back that was pretty awesome. Amazing creatures.

Nice tank - admittedly I didn't read through the entire thread but even skipping around here and there I got a good sense of how the tank has matured. It does seem like you've had a lot of problems - I've been trying to think of some ideas to help stabilize things but I haven't really thought of anything yet...

Anyways - I like the diversity of corals you have - and the way you've comingled them. Obviously it doesn't work out in every case (hopefully you can put enough distance between some of your aggressive corals/nems) but sometimes we learn new things by thoughtfully taking some of those types of risks.

Finally good luck with the QT procedure. I don't think I came across how you're going through the QT process? I'll share that earlier this year I had some awesome QT results by using macro in my QT. I have a refugium with chaeto and caulerpa prolifera. Well one day I harvested a bunch and randomly stuck some in my QT tank (I keep it set up). The fish responded to the macro quite well. Besides giving them some diverse hiding spots it also provides oxygenation and to a degree some biological filtration capabilities as well. Not saying anyone must or even should use macros in their QT - but I thought it was cool and fish acted much more natural for the 3 weeks or so they were chilling in QT. Obviously there may be conflicts with medications so only for the observation stage of QT.

Good luck.

The tank has definitely had its fair share of ups and downs, but I feel like things are finally under control. The Dino's still haven't returned, which gives me hope that they won't.

When I set up the tank, I knew what types of corals I wanted, but I didn't really think about how I would put them all together. I pretty much just stuck things wherever I thought they'd be happy in the beginning, and then crammed other stuff between them, and now I have to be choosy about what I buy and if there's even a spot it can live. It's too bad the RFA was stung, but it seems like it will be ok. The favia (which has stung many corals) will be moved soon.

I'm so stoked that the fish made it through QT and are doing good. Time to start thinking of names! :) I have had macro in the QT tank before, and I agree the fish like it. I just didn't need to prune this time around. The fish also seem to enjoy the pods that come in on it.

Hooray for the fish getting out of QT and an even bigger hooray for Tobias's eye!

I honestly can't believe that he grew an eye :). It looks pretty weird because it's sunk further into his head than his other (not fully developed yet) so it still looks kind of like a pit in dim light

Everyone thinks I'm nuts because in art I've been listening to christmas music! And humming along out of tune :lol: Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday in the whole wide world!!! A little tree in each room would be awesome :)

We wait until after Thanksgiving, but my wife is a firm believer in a Christmas tree in every room. :D

I've seriously never thought to put a tree in every room. I see a trip to dollarama in my future...they sell mini trees, ornaments and lights :D
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Here's a quick phone FTS that I didn't even bother closing the curtains for. Things are looking really happy.

image_zpssaepodke.jpeg

I finally got a decent pic of the coral beauty! Still no name for either of the new additions.

image_zpsg02kjbtq.jpeg

Not a fantastic pic, but it shows the iridescent blue on the fins really well.

image_zpsf5v2wt7k.jpeg

This guy is way more active than I thought he'd be. He doesn't venture very far from this area

image_zps2nabk7d0.jpeg

image_zps6wynpslv.jpeg

image_zpsfkxa9pe4.jpeg

I'm considering moving the acan into the shade to see if it's color would change back to how it was when I bought it

image_zpsbvjbeujc.jpeg

:wub:

image_zpsbhq332s7.jpeg

The green Duncan has grown two more heads! (That I can see)

image_zpsotx8mibh.jpeg

The hammers seemed extra puffy today

image_zpsulhqvuxh.jpeg

Undortunately, the pest jar crashed quite a while back. Something caused an ammonia spike, and it wiped the entire thing out. However, I got it cleaned up and going again. It just snails, a little bit of macro, and some mushrooms that were in the way. Instead of adding aiptasia, I think I may just chuck more mushrooms in whenever I have ones that need to be removed. They seem to have done ok with only sunlight, no heat or circulation and no waterchanges for a month or more now

image_zpsq1jsxtbd.jpeg

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

So in preparation for my vacation, I've been typing up instructions for the tank sitter (I'll post a copy here in case she loses the printed copy), cleaned a couple fw tanks, begun laying out supplies for her, and I moved a lot of corals today. I finally moved the watermelon favia and attempted to frag it (they may or may not live, it was just where it had begun to grow underneath) and moved a leather to make room for it. The Duncan went where the favia was, I moved a couple zoas, cut back some shrooms, plucked some of the sponge that has been bugging my zoas and unfortunately the trachy was finally so far gone that I tossed it. The baby plates have been pissed for the last two days, no clue why as nothing has changed and everything else are happy as clams. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow to show where I've put things. I hope the Duncan likes its location, it's pretty close to where it was pre-nem.

And speaking of vacation, I've been so stressed! I'm missing a week of school (lot's of homework), I have two tests and a presentation this week, and I'm missing Wednesday because I signed up for a peer to peer training workshop (which I didn't realize would be on my second to last day before vacation). It'll all be worth it in the end though when I'm cruising around in the happiest place on earth and drinking butterbeer at universal studios :) It's gpoing to take extreme self control to not buy every harry potter souvenir I lay eyes on :lol: Guess we'll see if I come home with wizarding robes...

And in some sad freshwater news, my mom finally figured out where all her fish have been disappearing to (like 10-15). There was a small hole in the overflow and they have been ending up in the canister :( We covered the hole today with plastic grid for needle point attached with coral glue. There are two survivors, a seemingly unscathed yoyo loach named YOLO, and a giant danio with an eye infection and a bad scrape. I think he may pull through though, both are in QT being treated with kanaplex and metroplex. Fingers crossed...

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

The plates have seemed seriously pissed the last couple days, and now I see that a few are missing flesh :(. Right now, being as nothing has changed in the tank, I can only assume the angel has been nipping them. I plan to cover them and see if they open. If it is (I haven't seen it nip anything else) I'll give the plate to someone else.

Everything seems happy in their new locations, the duncan perhaps isn't quite as puffy as usual but it is still adjusting to the increase in light. The tank is getting so full! I've decided to ask for a 20 long for Christmas after seeing some peoples' on here, hoping I get it so I can get more coral!

• Like 3

The prep for vacations can be stressful but once you have done all you can do, just relax and enjoy your vacation. I have that with my seahorse tank too but I told myself that I was never going to be a slave to my fish tank. We have them for our enjoyment but if they hinder us from enjoying other aspects of life then maybe they are not a healthy part of our life?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Have fun!

Thanks!

The prep for vacations can be stressful but once you have done all you can do, just relax and enjoy your vacation. I have that with my seahorse tank too but I told myself that I was never going to be a slave to my fish tank. We have them for our enjoyment but if they hinder us from enjoying other aspects of life then maybe they are not a healthy part of our life?

Now that I have everything in line I'm not really stressing anymore :) Usually when I'm away I don't think about the tank too much. I prefer to just assume all is running smoothly.

• Like 2

I'm going next week, and am most worried about heater failure, ato pump sticking, power outtage, etc. It's hard to fit redundancy in a small sump less system.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The heater is what worries me most. And if there's a power outage, sometimes my return won't turn on without me cleaning it.

Naturally, things go wrong right before you leave. My fan has started making an unusual noise. I plan to clean it tonight, but if it craps out while I'm gone will it be ok? Would the lights do ok without a fan for 2 weeks or so?

fishfreak0114

Forgot to email Dave...oh well. Just moved the Duncan back to the sandbed-the RFA walked an inch right and began stinging it :(. Im praying that it doesn't decide to go and run a marathon while I'm gone. On that note, I'm off! Flight leaves 7am tomorrow :)

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

The tank is doing good!!! The only fishy troubles so far is that between my convict cichlids, Bonnie has been eating all the food and Clyde has had nothing. Told the sitter to plop more food in :)

I've been having a very fun vaction! I only have occasional fleeting thoughts of the tank, I haven't thought about anything else from back home, except my bestie who has had me sending daily updates.

I went to Harry Potter land at universal studios today! It was a dream come true, JK Rowling's wizarding world is by far my favorite made up world ever! I even splurged for hufflepuff robes (my house) and an ash wand (which, funny enough, the cashier told me I perfect for a hufflepuff-each type of wood had a personality trait description). I got to cast spells, and buy wizard sweets! Two more days in Disney, and that's back home :( it will be nice to sleep in a room without ants however (don't stay at the super 8 near Disney if you don't like ants lol). I'll put up a couple pics eventually.

• Like 2