Innovative Marine Aquariums

12 Gallon Long - "Suspension" - decommissioned.

Halo_003

Mr. Microscope

I know!!! One of the LFS near me ordered them for me, I was amazed they were so cheap.

Where are you located?
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacksonville, FL.

What do you guys think about drilling and getting a custom ghost overflow to go on the back with a return on each end instead of another set of Lily pipes? This would then feed the closed loop, it would not go to a sump. Seems like it may be a good idea because obviously it's flood proof like the lily pipes, but it gives me the option to have a sump in the future. Also figure it would do surface skimming which the pipes don't, not really a problem there so far though with a powerhead pointed at the surface.

Very cool, very innovative. Good work.

Thanks!!!

You had me at ghost overflow..

Yes, surface skimming is really nice too.

Only slight issue is I didn't paint my glass. If I get the ghost overflow I'll frost the back of the tank, I think it would work well with the closed loop idea. It would have to be custom though because I don't want teeth on it.

Smart moove. teeth kill the skimming abilities of overflows. that's why I don't like the ghost. the vertical surface area of teeth don't really count towards skimming because the top half are out of the water. straight horizontal lines are best for skimming.

Smart moove. teeth kill the skimming abilities of overflows. that's why I don't like the ghost. the vertical surface area of teeth don't really count towards skimming because the top half are out of the water. straight horizontal lines are best for skimming.

That's what I was thinking too, plus would probably allow more flow.

Correct. when I build overflows for people I always urge them to go 'grandpa' style. most still go with teeth because that's what they're used to having.

Correct. when I build overflows for people I always urge them to go 'grandpa' style. most still go with teeth because that's what they're used to having.

LMAO grandpa style.. I like that.

Not sold on a Ghost overflow yet, just a thought as it would cost me about the same as another set of glass pipes would, but would get better flow and have more flexibility (for a sump) if I ever went that way. Hmm.

Mr. Microscope

Granted, I've only owned the tank I have now and never had an overflow without teeth, but I never see any scum on top of my water. I also like the added security that teeth offer as far as blocking some crap from getting into my sump.

There are other things on the surface that you can't always see like lipids and such. that junk also needs to be skimmed.

Speaker73

There are other things on the surface that you can't always see like lipids and such. that junk also needs to be skimmed.

I'm honestly am trying to understand why teeth would cancel any surface skimming ability of an overflow. I can see if the particles are larger than the width of the teeth but if we are talking microscopic sized particles it should go right thru the spaces in the overflow. Unless you are talking about the attraction between the plastic and any hydrophobic particles which could cause a "log jam" on the surface between the teeth.

My head hurts now.....need some aspirin....

Honestly I was thinking toothless just for A) coolness factor, B) seems like the teeth would block 50% of your area, thereby decreasing flow and skimming capability marginally. (Note the marginally part).

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about drilling it yet though, more than slightly afraid.

I'm honestly am trying to understand why teeth would cancel any surface skimming ability of an overflow. I can see if the particles are larger than the width of the teeth but if we are talking microscopic sized particles it should go right thru the spaces in the overflow. Unless you are talking about the attraction between the plastic and any hydrophobic particles which could cause a "log jam" on the surface between the teeth.

My head hurts now.....need some aspirin....

Teeth create water tension and they don't allow the surface of the water to be skimmed, rather they suck water into the overflow box underneath the water surface. Teeth cut down skimming efficiency by more than 50%. yes, 50%!

Being afraid is what keeps you on point. people break tanks when they get careless. it's not that hard but there are some rules to follow if you want to be successful. I can tell you how I've don't it for 15 years if you want to give it a shot.

Mr. Microscope

Being afraid is what keeps you on point. people break tanks when they get careless. it's not that hard but there are some rules to follow if you want to be successful. I can tell you how I've don't it for 15 years if you want to give it a shot.

+1, it's a little scary at first, but just watch a bunch of videos on it and go slowly. Make sure you have all the proper equipment (putty, etc.). I'd recommend a drill that plugs in as opposed to a cordless/battery operated one. You don't want to run out of power in the middle of drilling. I didn't use a drill guide, but if you really want some added assurance I'm sure it would help.

I sent Chris @ PicO an email asking what it would cost me to get a clone of my tank built pre drilled and with a pro overflow, figure I'd see what it would cost to get done by a pro. Parents are extremely uncomfortable with the drilling idea and won't go for it. If not may go with more Lily Pipes, IDK.

Weasel Baron

looks great man, cant wait to see it fully stocked

I'd have to agree that drilling isnt too hard to do, but if Its a no go then its a no go.

looks great man, cant wait to see it fully stocked

I'd have to agree that drilling isnt too hard to do, but if Its a no go then its a no go.

Parents have the final say, even at 21 lol. Sold my first coral tonight! Hoping to get rid of all my corals by the end of the month so I can start collecting some nice BTA's next month. :)

Figured if Chris can get me a reasonable estimate on it then I can just sell this one locally and then I just pay the difference.

Yay....

Oh yeah, so another thing about drilling glass tanks is that they have to be empty. sounds like yours is up and running?

post-87635-0-28301000-1430711871_thumb.jpg

Yay....

Oh yeah, so another thing about drilling glass tanks is that they have to be empty. sounds like yours is up and running?

Beautiful picture!

Yes, mine is running, I would have to empty into a temporary tank and then drill the current tank, then rebuild, if Chris can give me a reasonable estimate I can just transfer things into the PicO tank from the Mr. Aqua. Depends what he quotes me though.

Got my quote back from Chris. :blink:

Think I will just add another set of Lily pipes and call it a day. I emailed Green Leaf Aquariums to find out when and if they will have the CAL Aqua Influx X3s (17mm), and Efflux F1 back in stock. I figure with a larger inflow pipe it would help me boost my total GPH though my loop. I think I said before that that the end goal is to be able to remove the powerhead entirely, if the X3s works well I will pick up another to replace my (13mm) X1s. My thought is with two 17mm drains and two 13mm returns I should be able to get quite a bit more flow through the tank since the pump will do 1000GPH.

Love this tank!!

Thank you! I have to agree, I absolutely love the 3 foot length combined with the shallow height, makes it super easy to work in yet so nice to look at. :)

Still waiting to hear back from GLA on if/when they will have more pipes in stock. :(

You know in all the discussion on pipes and overflows and such I totally forgot I had never posted an updated FTS with everything in it. It will be a bit more barren soon, as I'm selling off all my frags but here's a recent FTS, these are from a couple weeks ago. Sorry no white balance, just off my iPhone 6, which I must say does pretty well.

802502DD-CB5D-46A6-AA38-926BC3A66563_zps

90D541ED-0C6A-49D2-AE44-5CFF1ACE43CC_zps

8AF6F0E2-B70F-4415-965F-03AAF267D411_zps

This one is from yesterday.

F435D84C-B5CB-4A7D-AA2F-637373D9B4BB_zps

Talked with BRS just a moment ago. They agree with me in thinking that if I put a second set of Lily pipes on, along with using 3/4" PVC inside the stand that should be enough to get my flow to where I want it. I'm open to thoughts on that, right now I'm using exclusively 1/2" ID soft tubing.

Archived