Pod Your Reef

12 Gallon Long - "Suspension" - decommissioned.

Halo_003

That's why I'm interested in the PicO, but im not sure how strong it is so far as able to keep up with Biopellets goes. They're tumbling better now. Some of them are stuck to the front of the canister but most are movingn nicely at this point.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOOP!

Just tested, amomoniq, nitrite both zero, nitrite about 10. Think I will do a roughly 2G WC and then move things over tomorrow and this weekend.

sexy build. love these 12 gallon longs.

Yeah this might be my next tank. So much real estate to work with for such a small volume.

Thank you both! I love the 36" length. That was my biggest reason for getting it, have not been disappointed so far.

Current status:

IMG_0582_zpsesc5y1ht.jpg

IMG_0583_zpsvdcem5zt.jpg

Possible home for some sun corals?

IMG_0585_zpsegcjmmy0.jpg

Thinking my Hawkins would be sweet at the apex here:

IMG_0586_zpsvzwkqfru.jpg

Just a random cool picture from the return pipe:

IMG_0590_zpscvzai4af.jpg

Think I will go with the PicO skimmer instead of the CAD. :)

New to this forum, I recently purchase a pico 2.0 and absolutely love it, I had the CAD lights and found it hard to adjust it.

Well sad news. Everything tested zero's Saturday night(and had for a week straight), so I figured I'd move the last few things over. I think there was not enough oxygen dissolved in the water when I did. Last few things included Cleaner Shrimp, Cherub Angel, Gladiator Clown, ORA Hawkins frag, and a tiny RBTA. All dripped for about half an hour to an hour each. Lost all but the clown. :(

Parents came and got me at 7:45AM Sunday morning saying something is wrong, clownfish is sick. I got downstairs, the clown was at the surface hardly moving gasping and breathing super fast, cherub angel was already dead, shrimp was dead, and RBTA was half melted. Caught the clown in about 10 seconds and drip acclimated it back to the tub it had been in with all my old live rock, thank god I left a heater in and left it running. Clown is okay now, still in the secondary tub which I've left running. I was almost in tears when I was dripping the clown back into the old tub, praying it would be okay. If I had lost it too I honestly might have seriously considered quitting the hobby entirely.

Still the only possible issue I think was the surface was almost totally still. Nitrate, Ammonia, Phosphate, Nitrite all tested zero. Corals are all happy and fully extended so I doubt it was a toxin in the water. The fish and shrimp were in the water about 10 hours total, so in my opinion the only thing that could wipe them out like that is a lack of oxygen. The RBTA has since totally died, I pulled it from the tank before it was totally gone though.

I've been just running a single set of bulbs on the light, just a Coral+ and a Blue+, which seems to work quite well. It's about a foot over the water surface.

Will add pictures shortly. None of the corals are in their final place or anything, they're just kind of tossed in.

In other news, I'll be ordering the Aquamedic DC runner 3.0 (792GPH!!) soon, as I don't think the 1.2 has enough power to run my loop and tumble Biopellets well enough. I'll just be selling the 1.2 locally once I order the 3.0. I'm also still working on the top with Chris, though that should be pretty well taken care of at this point so hopefully he'll start cutting it soon.

More to come.

Sorry to hear about all the deaths.

The scape is brilliant though and it seems like a well thought out, clean set up. Look forward to following it.

skyscraper2290

Such a bummer to hear about everything, hope you can fix the problem and get everything back on track. This tank will be awesome still

Thanks guys, I have no idea what it was for certain, my only surefire guess is oxygen content.

Currently in QT I have 4 Flaming Prawn Gobies, they are so cool. I got a really amazing video the day I added them all at the same time when they were establishing their hierarchy, it is super cool and I need to put it on YouTube. Really a display I have never seen before. :)

I'm treating them with NLS Ick Shield Powder, which is a chloroquin phosphate based product which should rid them of anything in theory. Got a 50g bottle of it for $20 shipped off Amazon, figured I'd try it out after the positive feedback on RC, and I really didn't feel like doing TTM or copper on them lol. I've found that they seem to like cyclops, I've been feeding it to them and they've been feasting on it. Surprisingly they aren't all shy, I see them quite often throughout the day. In the QT tank I have about 6 PVC fittings for them to hide in and around etc.

Edit:

Also, Any ideas on some cool sticks or zoas to stock? Also probably need some monti ideas, I know what I have zoa wise but I find it hard to actually find names on acros that I want to stock. Some possibilities on my coral shopping list include:

Cali Tort

Oregon Tort

ORA Red Planet

Aqua Delight

Tyree Bali Tricolor

Blue Dragon

Hawkins Echinata - To replace my lost one

Pink Freeze

Reef Gardener Silver Lining

Oh yes. The time of buying water at fish stores will soon come to a close. :)

post-83928-0-54016400-1427519068_thumb.jpg

For the slight price difference figured it worthwhile over the refurbished 90GPD unit. Got the faucet adapter for ease of use. Just ordered so hopefully will arrive this week.

gulfsurfer101

12 hrs wouldn't kill the fish and nem from oxygen depletion. Remember, they are shipped longer than that and nems can live weeks in tide pools with very little oxygen. Maybe you increased your bioload by like 300% way too fast and your biological filtration wasn't up to par. Also the drip acclimation may have done it. I always just float the bag then with my hand scoop and drop into the tank. The only time I'll drip acclimate anything is very sensitive inverts like blue starfish or possibly very young clams. I find the drip method unnecessary and more stressful in most cases.

What do you guys make of this as my replacement for the DC pump(which is too slow). The DC 3.0 looks like it'll be a pain to use due to the native tube sizes. Additionally, the 9.5 could run 2 loops of I wanted to use some Y fittings and another valve so it kills two birds.

post-83928-0-86629500-1427640517_thumb.jpg

I was tempted to go with a Mag 12, but I think that's just blatant overkill.

I'm leaning towards the Mag 9.5, a couple of bushings/adapters and a gate valve. My thought is should I decide to order another set of Lily Pipes and canisters which would be a relatively easy upgrade, the 9.5 would be able to run the whole setup and I would be able to just T off before and after the pump so that the two drains drain into the pump, then split to run through Canister Loop 1 or Canister Loop 2, and then go back to their respective returns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update, lid has arrived from PicO, it is amazing, zero complaints. HEP ballasts for the T5's also arrived. I went with a Sicce Pro 1000, no regrets. Dead silent and excellent flow. I would guess around 400GPH through the loop right now, which isn't ideal, I think the single 1/2" intake is limiting the pump greatly, so I'm trying to work out a good way to boost it. If all else fails I can always just get a custom ghost overflow, use 3/4" lines and drill the tank for returns, not a big deal. If I did that I would just move everything out for a week and clean the tank and drill it.

Considering what to do right now, end goal is to not have a pump in the display.

Also: I have decided on my stocking plans... I'm going to FOWLR. I think especially next year when I'm at college in Orlando a full blown SPS tank will have a lot of maintenance. However... I am going to be 100% BTA's. Easily my favorite marine animal, and I think a tank full of them would be awesome. I still have all my corals right now but will be selling probably 90% of them soon, will keep some high $ zoas like my rasta's and afterburners and gatorades etc.

Fish stocking wise right now I just have 3 Flaming Prawn Gobies that I see every now and then, and my gladiator clown. While I would LOVE to get 4 more clowns and do a small harem of clowns in the shallow BTA tank, I just don't think it's a good idea, especially with my female.

I will not be going to a sump, period. Just can't do it in an apartment on the off chance it fails, closed loop like this is much easier IMO. (At least for my uses). Maybe my next tank after college, but for now I want to stick to the loop.

All kinds of things to work out, only this summer to do it. What do you guys think on the plumbing situation? Should I just bite the bullet and get a ghost overflow setup for it? Or should I just add another set of Lily Pipes to get a second drain and return. In which case the pump would have 2 1/2" supply lines to it. Decisions, decisions. The ghost overflow idea I like as it's the same price (actually a bit less) as the Lily Pipes would be for another set, but I do like how invisible the Lily Pipes are.

Any input would be appreciated, really stuck on this one.

michaelrzachmann

cool idea with the nems, ive thought of doing the same with my tank. What if you just got a harem of small skunk clowns? i thought i may have heard they are easier to keep in more than a pair and a really cool fish that it doesnt seem as many hobbyist have. I wish i had some

cool idea with the nems, ive thought of doing the same with my tank. What if you just got a harem of small skunk clowns? i thought i may have heard they are easier to keep in more than a pair and a really cool fish that it doesnt seem as many hobbyist have. I wish i had some

Love my gladiator female too much to get rid of her, she cuddles my fingers! Doesn't bite, she acts like they're nem tentacles and she lets me pet her, just way too cool of a fish to give away, so it would have to be ocellaris in the (99% unlikely) case I did try a small harem.

Mr. Microscope

023218EF-49F5-4746-8670-23EFC911955B_zps

Holy cow! How much did those guys set you back? I've never seen FPG's up close before. Where did you find them?

Holy cow! How much did those guys set you back? I've never seen FPG's up close before. Where did you find them?

$35 each, got 4 of them, 1 vanished in QT. No body from jumping or anything, absolutely no idea what happened to it, but the three are now happy in the display. :) I see them every so often, I have some semi decent pictures I will add in a bit.

Speaker73

$35 each, got 4 of them, 1 vanished in QT. No body from jumping or anything, absolutely no idea what happened to it, but the three are now happy in the display. :) I see them every so often, I have some semi decent pictures I will add in a bit.

Holy smokes! Where did you get them for that price?!?!? I am looking for those as well and the best price I've seen is $75 a piece!

Holy smokes! Where did you get them for that price?!?!? I am looking for those as well and the best price I've seen is $75 a piece!

I know!!! One of the LFS near me ordered them for me, I was amazed they were so cheap.

Archived