ReefCleaners.org

12 Gallon Long - "Suspension" - decommissioned.

Halo_003

skyscraper2290

This is really coming along nicely! Great job with everything, very interested to see how the closed loop systems works for you as I have been eyeing one of these tanks for a while and my current tank is getting pretty full. I would vote to go back to the original scape if possible, it was awesome, not that your new one isn't. Maybe you could do some plating corals up high? But looking great, and can't wait to see the flaming prawn gobies

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really coming along nicely! Great job with everything, very interested to see how the closed loop systems works for you as I have been eyeing one of these tanks for a while and my current tank is getting pretty full. I would vote to go back to the original scape if possible, it was awesome, not that your new one isn't. Maybe you could do some plating corals up high? But looking great, and can't wait to see the flaming prawn gobies

The more I look at it the more tempted I am to do just that. Should be simple enough, just a matter of breaking epoxy and redoing it. Super tempted to change it back now. Thinking about it I could just cover it in Z/P's and then the other rock on the left of it could be where I have SPS/acros. Then the small single rock to the far left would be where I cover it in acans. Hmm.

skyscraper2290

The more I look at it the more tempted I am to do just that. Should be simple enough, just a matter of breaking epoxy and redoing it. Super tempted to change it back now. Thinking about it I could just cover it in Z/P's and then the other rock on the left of it could be where I have SPS/acros. Then the small single rock to the far left would be where I cover it in acans. Hmm.

Definitely a worth while plan haha

skyscraper2290

My only concerns would be acros growing too much on the top, but maybe you could have them a little more on the side of the rocks?

My only concerns would be acros growing too much on the top, but maybe you could have them a little more on the side of the rocks?

Yeah that was my concern too and why I changed it originally, but I think you're right if I attached them to the sides of it they would have room to grow still.

I would think that would definitely give you a little more leeway

Will sleep on it and decide in the morning, but if you watch House of Cards put me in the Leaning Yes list.

This is a super cool concept tank. Loving the filter setup idea.

Also, first scape is way cooler than the new one, I can see where your coming from wanting growth room, but being a shallow tank SPS will be ok on the sandbed so go with scape one.

Couldn't take it, I changed the rocks back today. Once it was mentioned it just irked me and I couldn't let t go lol. Pic incoming later. Made a sandstorm and the filtration sucked it all up and is 100% cleared in under 5 minutes, not bad at all.

We'll see how the Biopellets work inline. If they don't have enough flow I'll pick up another set of pipes, another pump and get 2 more reactors to tumble BP and Chaeto. :)

Protip from years of liquid cooling computers... If doing this, plumb your loop. Leave it dry a few days, then take it apart for a day and rebuild it. When I redid the loop yesterday it came outso much smoother than the first time.

Scape is back to like before. Picked up 2 of my 5(!!!) flaming prawn gobies. The store has 3 more coming in today so I told them if they come in healthy I'll take those 3 as well. :)

This tank is going to look so good. Following!

Thanks!! Really appreciate it. Nitrite is at 2.0ish right now so hopefully next week it will be done and I can finally move things over.

Scape looks more impressive this way. It may be hard to put a lot of things up there besides zoas, acans, and other various encrusting corals but the shape is worth the sacrifice. Other branching corals can be mounted lower or shoot out the sides.

Scape looks more impressive this way. It may be hard to put a lot of things up there besides zoas, acans, and other various encrusting corals but the shape is worth the sacrifice. Other branching corals can be mounted lower or shoot out the sides.

Thank you! Really means a lot coming from you since your scape led to this one. :)

What do you all think I should do about a skimmer? I'm considering either a PicO Skim 2.0 or a CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite, but whatever I get I want zero microbubbles, near silent, looks reasonably slick since it's in the display. I like Chris but if the PLS50 is really better then I'll go with that, I want the best possible since I'll be running BP.

Just tonight started the show Revenge on Netflix. I saw it was watched by Frank Underwood so I had to. Edit: Just finished episode 4, this is a perfect show. I love the brutal execution, and the girl is stunning too. Just awesome what she does to people. I think I might be in love. :wub:

Why do you need a skimmer? If everything is inline plumbed the skimmer will be harder to add.

I've been skimmerless for 3 years and doing just fine.

Why do you need a skimmer? If everything is inline plumbed the skimmer will be harder to add.

I've been skimmerless for 3 years and doing just fine.

Planning to run Biopellets in one of my canisters, so the skimmer would be in the display. Just would like to run ULNS with BP and a skimmer. Can't help the urge to tinker and play. :)

Tossed in 30mL of Vertex Biopellets today in the last reactor (leftmost). They do tumble but it's a very light tumble and they do stay on the bottom of the canister quite a bit. I'm thinking about a second loop using a Mag 7 and I will just adjust with a gate valve.

Then Loop 1 would be primary filtration:

Aqua medic DC 1.2 return pump (approx 300 gph.)

Canister 1 - floss

Canister 2 - carbon/GFO

Canister 3 - Red Titan macroalgae or Chaeto

Hydor 200W heater

Loop 2 would be:

Mag 7 or equivalent sicce with a quality gate valve following to give nice flow control.

Canister 1 - Vertex Biopellets

Canister 2 - Chaeto

Skimmer wise I'm leaning towards the PLS-50 Elite, but im not sure how it would look in the display or micro bubble or noise production. Any input would be appreciated.

skyscraper2290

I originally had a pls-50 and it never worked out, gave it multiple chances to get groing and break in but couldn't get it to produce skim and would usually end up pulling a bunch of water in the cup no matter what I did so I couldn't trust it. Always the customer service I got with them really isn't good. Got the PicO skim and it works great even though it's being pushed on my tank, but it's really nice not to have the collection cup and being able to use any container you want. If it's going to be in your display it will look much better than the pls-50.

Archived