Cultivated Reef

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have neither. I found what they are, they are a type of nudi or slug, they feed on the little tube worms you see on liverock and sumps. Apparently they are harmless and will go away after the food supply is gone.

Need to grab some mo corals soon, maybe catch a few fish and change it up. Tired of the yellow tang, he keeps the copper banded hiding at all times, like a total dick. Also, while the brine shrimp experiment went awesome, kinda over it. So I might swap the clowns, tang, and copper for something else. Suggestions?

Yep, exactly I had the same nudi, they did eat those small crusty worms.

Tank is looking good man. Just put it on cruise control. Oh and that birdsnest looks like birds of paradise.

I have both ponapae and Birds of Paradise.

Birds o Paradise:

19D15CA7-35B5-4737-9839-C98E5D66D6FA.jpg

Ponapae:

C792ECB3-0376-4705-BE53-44B4D1BA8F76.jpg

One has thicker stalks and much larger polyps. The other(ponapae) is like a regular birds nest. Maybe I have it backwards? The colors on the ponapae aren't very good in the pic either, it has some pink too.

Do you have a better ID on these if I have them labeled wrong? I'd appreciate it.

Yeah the ponape has thinner and closer growth for the branches. My ponape has less color than birds of abrasive with those nice thick branches and fuzz, lol

Send me some nubs off your acros and I'll send ya some acans. 2 week heal time... go :)

Maybe consider a restart or changing things up a bit, but don't sell off thats dumb!

You're going to have to guide me on shipping, never done it before. What do you want pieces of, I'd be happy to send you some

You're going to have to guide me on shipping, never done it before. What do you want pieces of, I'd be happy to send you some

Its not to bad really. I can send you a box (I just line a cardboard box with 1" styro, simple and effective IME), heat pack and bags even..... Only thing that would be good to have that I can't really send is my impulse sealer. Shipping can be done with out it but I prefer it personally and haven't really done it without.

I don't even know what all you have that can be fragged at all really. Just saw you were wanting some acans figured I'd throw the idea out :) That mystery acro and rainbow tort or whatever were looking pretty cool tho, I'll check it out more later or if you want to just pm me what you could frag we can go from there if you want.

The Birdsnest corals look fantastic!

Thanks.

Decided to hang onto the tank, the thought of breaking it down, trying to sell all the corals was more stressful than keeping it running.

Been experiencing some cyano, zero nitrates and no real PO3 either. I imagine since it's all being the rock-work the dead spots are trapping uneaten food. Might need to add another powerhead....

Getting a lot of cyano? Testing shows the following

Temp-79

Ph-8.1

Salinity-1.027

Calcium-430

Alkalinity-8.0

Magnesium-1370

NO3- Unreadable

P03- Trace amounts, nearly undetectable

I have NO idea what in the world is going on?! Ideas?!

The nitrates and phosphates could be undetectable because the cyano is sucking it up.

I would try more flow and less feeding, and then using chemi-clean if it doesn't go away. Chemiclean is totally reef safe and is very effective- all cyano gone usually within 24 hours.

The nitrates and phosphates could be undetectable because the cyano is sucking it up.

I would try more flow and less feeding, and then using chemi-clean if it doesn't go away. Chemiclean is totally reef safe and is very effective- all cyano gone usually within 24 hours.

It isn't THAT much cyano, only shows up behind the rock work, and now its getting on my Gorgonians. Besides, those were the same levels before it started showing up.... Could it be because my T5's need replaced?

It isn't THAT much cyano, only shows up behind the rock work, and now its getting on my Gorgonians. Besides, those were the same levels before it started showing up.... Could it be because my T5's need replaced?

It is possible, but I would lean more towards flow, especially if it is mostly showing up behind rock work. The reason I think that is you probably don't have that much flow behind your rock work and you probably don't get much light penetration behind your rock work....see where I am going?

You could try adding a small powerhead that is pointed behind your rockwork.....or try cyano clean....I have heard mixed results.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_Cyano_Clean_Saltwater_Aquarium_Additives_Supplements_Algae_Control-Korallen_Zucht-VX40799-FIADAL-vi.html

It is possible, but I would lean more towards flow, especially if it is mostly showing up behind rock work. The reason I think that is you probably don't have that much flow behind your rock work and you probably don't get much light penetration behind your rock work....see where I am going?

You could try adding a small powerhead that is pointed behind your rockwork.....or try cyano clean....I have heard mixed results.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_Cyano_Clean_Saltwater_Aquarium_Additives_Supplements_Algae_Control-Korallen_Zucht-VX40799-FIADAL-vi.html

Maybe I'll snag a Hydor nano or something to hide in the back, plug it into the Apex and run a few hours a day?

I'll avoid adding chemicals , yuck. Turned up flow on my Gyre, we'll see what that does, corals like the flow a lot, lol.

Maybe I'll snag a Hydor nano or something to hide in the back, plug it into the Apex and run a few hours a day?

I'll avoid adding chemicals , yuck. Turned up flow on my Gyre, we'll see what that does, corals like the flow a lot, lol.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the flow. I had the same problem on one side of my rock work in my biocube. Added a small koralia and it took care of it. I ran it for 8 hours a day, off during the night. I'm with you on the chemicals. I'd rather not add something into the tank to kill off the cyano as 1. some cyano is good and 2. what the heck other good bacteria would it kill.

?? Microbacter? Why?

It diversifies the bacteria so other bacterias take up the nutrients the cyano would. You can use this in conjunction with reef biofuel to help the new bacteria to establish, just make sure you're running your skimmer.

It diversifies the bacteria so other bacterias take up the nutrients the cyano would. You can use this in conjunction with reef biofuel to help the new bacteria to establish, just make sure you're running your skimmer.

Will do, Thanks ninja and Stellers!

Gah, now cyano is creeping EVERY-GOD-DAYUMwhere.....angry, Still can figure out WTF. damnit.

T5 Lights are off for a few days to see it that helps, going to order some MB7 and new T5 bulbs.

Gah, now cyano is creeping EVERY-GOD-DAYUMwhere.....angry, Still can figure out WTF. damnit.

T5 Lights are off for a few days to see it that helps, going to order some MB7 and new T5 bulbs.

Make sure you get the biofuel too with it.

Make sure you get the biofuel too with it.

Awe shit

A local petstore sells the biofuel, saw it the other day, I'll grab some. Ordered

2x Giesseman 24" T5 Bulbs

1x Polyp Labs Reed Roids( Im out)

1x MicroBacter 250ml

Archived