ReefCleaners.org

Joe M's IM 10G Nuvo Build!

joem1cha3l

@Teeny - the skimmer is working incredibly well! I'm pulling a half a cups worth of nasty waste out on a daily basis. I can't imagine that staying in the tank. I'm still getting micro bubbles but part of me thinks that might be from the nano stream. I'll let it break in for another week or so and then adjust accordingly

• Like 1

I can't seem to get the temperature nailed down in my tank, its been running warm. Oh well, gave me a reason to finally order the RKL that I've wanted for years :-P. At some point i'll be adding the SL2 for the PH and Salinity probes, but for now I just went with the basic kit (PC4, Temp Probe, Interface). My plans are to cut out the door on the stand and mount it so its visible from the outside.

• Like 1

@Teeny - the skimmer is working incredibly well! I'm pulling a half a cups worth of nasty waste out on a daily basis. I can't imagine that staying in the tank. I'm still getting micro bubbles but part of me thinks that might be from the nano stream. I'll let it break in for another week or so and then adjust accordingly

That's great - you inspired me to play with mine some more and it's finally started to work :)

Nice new camera too. I really want a macro lens for my Nikon but for now I'm making do with extension tubes.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! This is a current tank shot as it sits. Had the urge to take a picture while I'm watching football. I believe I'm beginning to see a diatom bloom. I'll test things shortly. This week I plan to try and see if I can figure out what the heck is going on with all the micro bubbles. I was hoping the skimmer would be broken in by time I start adding things...

http://s165.photobucket.com/user/HID_Positive/media/DSC_0055_zps2d81c3a1.jpg.html'>DSC_0055_zps2d81c3a1.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up a stand, HOB Filter, thermometer, some PVC pieces and a 10G Tank today for QT. My last tank (about 4 years ago) was a disaster from day one and I think a big reason was because I never QT'd. Hell, I've never QT'd with any of my tanks and I think I was lucky on the one successful tank I had.

Im going to play this one safe and QT for 2-3 weeks while I wait for the IM Tank to finish cycling. The wife is letting me set up the QT tank in the living room next to the DT. She's been all too open to all of this (scares me!) ha. We will be going to pick up the clowns on Saturday and get them health!y! I've very excited to stare at something other than rocks! LOL.

On another note, the ReefKeeper Lite and probe rack shows that it will be delivered tomorrow. So tomorrow evening will be spent mounting it into the door and messing around with all that good stuff. Cant wait.

Well guys, Friday I came home to this waiting for me :) and a probe rack. So today was spent modifying the door, mounting the controller in the door and trimming it out. Also installed the PC4 and did some brief programming of the Temp probe and lights. I've had two tanks in the past and I've always wanted to mount a controller in my door. Came out great! Pictures don't do it justice!

http://s165.photobucket.com/user/HID_Positive/media/427C0218-D6DC-4811-892C-D1C07B3F1626_zps576yiagn.jpg.html'>427C0218-D6DC-4811-892C-D1C07B3F1626_zpshttp://s165.photobucket.com/user/HID_Positive/media/20150103_172755_zps47d79d81.jpg.html'>20150103_172755_zps47d79d81.jpg

http://s165.photobucket.com/user/HID_Positive/media/20150103_172814_zps78d8d6c4.jpg.html'>20150103_172814_zps78d8d6c4.jpg

Somehow I was able to move the ATO sensor and heater around to fit the probe rack in the back *shew*. The space back there is pretty maxed out.

http://s165.photobucket.com/user/HID_Positive/media/3A4563BF-D548-4F1F-ABC3-0960A445893D_zpsxjmtlffl.jpg.html'>3A4563BF-D548-4F1F-ABC3-0960A445893D_zps

I ordered an MJ900 return pump on Thursday to upgrade the flow in the tank. Looks like my ammonia is pretty much gone and I'm on the last part of my cycle. I plan to add my CUC in the next week or so!

Well, ammonia is at zero and nitrites are slowly dropping. Im also starting to see the beginnings of an algae bloom. Ive never been so happy to see algae! :D

Im hoping I can order my clean up crew from Reefcleaners by Friday, to arrive to me next week. Once I see zero ammonia and zero nitrites, i'll do a 50% water change and introduce the CUC. After that I haven't decided if I want to test out some zoo's or add my fish. I have my eye on a $170 pair of clowns at the LFS. I want to make sure everything is going good in my tank before I drop $170 in fish in there to test it ha.

• Like 1

Well the cycle is over and I added my CUC today. Im going to add a couple more things from reef cleaners next week. I picked up some stuff at my LFS to support them. I also decided to add a small zoo. Im gauge the health of that and growth before I think about adding expensive fish....

Pf9DELa.jpg

It opened up as I was acclimating it and then almost immediately once it went in the tank. I have my whites all the way off for now and ill slowly adjust that. I've read they can be very powerful and its going to be about find a happy medium....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been slacking on progress updates! I've since replaced the stock pump with an MJ900. It seems like its the perfect amount of flow for the stock return, but I will definitely be adding an MP10 when the budget allows.

I added my first and only fish, a clown. I've also added 3 zoo frags and a hammer coral. This has taken place over the last few weeks. The zoo frags have looked very good and are already flourishing. My levels have been steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and <5 PPM nitrates so thats why I decided to add my fish.

Yesterday my salinity probe came in for my RKL. I need to pick up the SL2 when I get some extra money before I can make this work.

Pictures will be coming in the near future!

• Like 1

Here's a quick cell phone shot. I can't seem to get good pictures with my DSLR of the tank. I'm going to need to pick up a macro lens but don't have the money for that at the moment. I ordered the SL2 last night so the final piece of equipment I still need to grab is the MP10.

bM3apYN.png