Cultivated Reef

Joe M's IM 10G Nuvo Build!

joem1cha3l

Did a little moving around and decided to remove a rock completely. I've added some frags recently also. I just placed an order for an MP10 from BRS. I should have it in a week or so. After that, its time to stop spending money for a bit and let the thing mature! :P

The blue zoos in the right lower side were a rare find for me. Cost me $60, but the LFS said they can't find them anywhere anymore, so I pulled the trigger. In 7 years, they've never had the blue zoos that I've noticed!

I also ordered a mini corner frag rack off of eBay. Holds 3 frags, which will be plenty for me at any given time. That will be here on Wednesday.

Current FTS:

XFJxoHQ.png

• Like 1

Looking good Joe! You will have to do a close up on the Blue Zoas, I wonder if they are Tubbs Blue? I am looking forward to seeing how the MP10 works for you, teenyreef almost has me convinced to install one in my tank.

Looking good Joe! You will have to do a close up on the Blue Zoas, I wonder if they are Tubbs Blue? I am looking forward to seeing how the MP10 works for you, teenyreef almost has me convinced to install one in my tank.

Thanks Joe. I will get a close up shot soon for sure.

As far as the MP10 goes, I think I might end up shipping it back to BRS on my own dime before I even open it. With the new Vortech Quietdrives being shipped to dealers already and being available at the end of the month, it makes me want one of those instead! Crap!

• Like 1

Finally, my new frag rack came in today. its perfect for a nano, cost me around $12 on eBay. Being a nano, I'll never be putting in more than 3 frags at a time. I don't want this to fill up too fast!

Naturally, I had to go pick up a frag so that it wasn't empty! Its a digi. I tried to get the best shot I could

hdPBHJe.png

T9nbMVO.png

Wow, it looks great! I'm going to have to get one of those frag racks. I've never seen one that size before. I always end up just leaving everything on the sand :(

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. I will get a close up shot soon for sure.

As far as the MP10 goes, I think I might end up shipping it back to BRS on my own dime before I even open it. With the new Vortech Quietdrives being shipped to dealers already and being available at the end of the month, it makes me want one of those instead! Crap!

I think you might be very happy with your decision, I had two mp10's in my 34g Solana and I always felt they were a bit big and a little noisy. I hope the new pumps are smaller and quieter. Do not get me wrong, the MP10 is awesome, but if something new is coming...

PS, the tank is looking awesome!

From what I can tell, the new MP10's will have the exact same dry and wet side, but the controller has changed. It's now black and has new controlling circuitry/firmware that they claim reduces the noise level by 90%. Personally, if I had an unopened one in a box now, I'd return it. Then you could buy the old model on sale or even used, or go with the new model depending on whether the new features or the savings are more important.

• Like 1

From what I can tell, the new MP10's will have the exact same dry and wet side, but the controller has changed. It's now black and has new controlling circuitry/firmware that they claim reduces the noise level by 90%. Personally, if I had an unopened one in a box now, I'd return it. Then you could buy the old model on sale or even used, or go with the new model depending on whether the new features or the savings are more important.

How much more quiet can a MP10 get? they all ready seem quiet to me.

How are you liking the Reef Keeper? After splurging on NanoBox and MP10 in the near future... do I REALLY need Apex over RK?

Personally, i LOVE my RKL. However, I don't live in an area with DSL/Cable internet, so the online feature wasn't important to me.....

Looks like you decided to stay with the original MP10 vice the new ones coming out. Reading the specs on the new ones, I don't think you are missing too much. Enjoy all the settings, my old MP10s had the blue controllers, lots of fun dialing in. Don't over do it and create a wave so big... :D

Looking Good!!! Is that the MP10 shaping your sand?

Thanks Wicked. Yeah, it is. I heard that guys were running it around 3-4 notches in these tanks so I threw it in at 4. I wish I hadn't. It ended up stirring up sand, giving me a slight ammonia spike and a noticeable nitrite and nitrate spike. I ended up changing about 50% of my water on Saturday and will be re-testing tonight to see if another change is needed. If I could turn back time, I would have went up 1 notch every 3-4 days until I was where I wanted it to be. At least at that point maybe the tank itself could have found off those spikes....

So far I haven't lost anything though ::Fingers Crossed::

You live and you learn...

So the fact I paid full price ($235) for the MP10ES has really bothered me since the release was announced the day after I bought mine. I just contacted BRS and they give me a $60 refund on the difference of what I paid, to their new sale price ($175)! Top Notch vendor and thats why I love them! Just figured i'd share!

• Like 3

So the fact I paid full price ($235) for the MP10ES has really bothered me since the release was announced the day after I bought mine. I just contacted BRS and they give me a $60 refund on the difference of what I paid, to their new sale price ($175)! Top Notch vendor and thats why I love them! Just figured i'd share!

I have been watching their site like a Hawk, waiting for that to happen. I am glad you were able to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

Thanks Wicked. Yeah, it is. I heard that guys were running it around 3-4 notches in these tanks so I threw it in at 4. I wish I hadn't. It ended up stirring up sand, giving me a slight ammonia spike and a noticeable nitrite and nitrate spike. I ended up changing about 50% of my water on Saturday and will be re-testing tonight to see if another change is needed. If I could turn back time, I would have went up 1 notch every 3-4 days until I was where I wanted it to be. At least at that point maybe the tank itself could have found off those spikes....

So far I haven't lost anything though ::Fingers Crossed::

You live and you learn...

I run mine on 3 or 4 usually, and it doesn't bother the sand. It all depends on how fine your sand is and where you locate the pump.

But you definitely should stir up your sand frequently so that it doesn't cause a spike in any case :D Is it doing OK now?

Looks like you decided to stay with the original MP10 vice the new ones coming out. Reading the specs on the new ones, I don't think you are missing too much. Enjoy all the settings, my old MP10s had the blue controllers, lots of fun dialing in. Don't over do it and create a wave so big... :D

Just so folks know, you can upgrade to the quiet drive - http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/vortech/pump-upgrades

I run mine on 3 or 4 usually, and it doesn't bother the sand. It all depends on how fine your sand is and where you locate the pump.

But you definitely should stir up your sand frequently so that it doesn't cause a spike in any case :D Is it doing OK now?

Yes, thankfully everything survived and all is thriving!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...