Coral Vue Hydros

The Nautilus [85 shallow]- New family member

lkoechle

Qinglong passed away. He had visible signs of ich when ai moved him to QT and was also incredibly stressed by the move. I think the combination killed him, I never saw him without serious sliming in QT. Zhuque still isn't eating prepared foods, but I bought some pods yesterday so hopefully she will eat those. Everyone else is still looking good and no visible signs of ich. I am going to continue dosing paragaurd for the next two weeks per seachems instructions and then let them rest for two weeks and hopefully the display will be ready then. Husband caught Sandman last night, so display is officially fallow.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about that beautiful fish. :(

Yeah :( and i waited so long for them too. Zhuque isn't looking so great this afternoon either... not very hopeful. I hope my bigger fish are still around at the end of this... :(

So no more fish deaths, yay! The only fish who showed signs ich was phantom and that seems to have cleared up. We are officially on week 2 of medication. This should be the last week of meds and then its just waiting for the display.

I have two new fish in a medicated qt(from here on out this will be our new fish protocol. I do not want to go through this again). A new kole tang and a new clownfish. Once qt is over, I am getting rid of my female clown since I don't think these guys are going to pair at all. Everyone will go in the display at the same time.

I bought some brine shrimp for my fenale mandy, she has perked up since I added them to the tank, but I haven't caught her eating yet. She is looking healthy and is still quite round, so if I can get her eating, I think she will come through the month just fine and I will start looking for the perfect mate for her in July. I have family visiting in June, so I don't want to worry about training a new mandy while they are here.

The mayhen here just never stops. Yesterday was my birthday and for my birthday I got a leaking QT HOB filter leak with the water not running down the stand and drip loops but running upside down on the underside of the stand and then dropping onto the power strip. Thankfully, everything in the house was grounded, so the only casualty was the power strip. I promis there will be coral photos some day, i actually have them on the DSLR, I just haven't pulled them off yet... maybe I will do that now since my son is asleep.

PHOTOS!

NEW FTS

11128369_10205388545005708_8936992917613

KATROPORA AND KITTIYAGI!

10409682_10205388543605673_1583583698981

11143128_10205388543685675_5855225185922

PST, KAT, I do have the psammacora, I just forgot to take a picture of it. lol but it is green and purdy.

KAT'S BIRTHDAY GIFT TO ME:

10646902_10205388544405693_2539771056938

SOME FRAG SWAP GAINS (some are pale and need TLC, but thats okay):

BLUE MILLE

10494538_10205388543645674_4821643997088

PURPLE STYLO

11244902_10205388543565672_1552494731826

RAINBOW POCILLOPORA

11219142_10205388544165687_2853625124288

CALI TORT

11146535_10205388544285690_3341783397524

PONAPE BIRDSNEST

11010296_10205388545045709_5896304190200

AND I DID SOME AQUASCAPING AND MOVED ALMOST ALL MY ZOAS TO ISLE DE ZOA TO FREE UP ROCK WORK FOR SPS

ISLE DE ZOA

11233526_10205388544525696_4946752142405

Yay! Foamhead finally collapsed on the skimmer! <-- yes thats a good thing. Hopefully now I can dial it in and have it working normally again. I think what may have happened is a combination of events: when first tang started looking bad, I added stressgaurd after shutting skimmer off (stressgaurd makes skimmer go crazy), and started mixing metroplex in to food for everyone after tang died from undetermined causes, when i turned the skimmer on 48 hours later there was a grinding noise (something settled in the pump), so I shut it off again and cleaned the pump and it started overflowing, i shut it off again and wasn't able to get around to pulling it apart and throughly clean it until 4 days later. I went through the break in process and it was still overflowing so i uncapped the overflow outlet on the skimmer and have been running it like that for about a week. There is some dry skim in the cup with the wet stuff just being put back out. Not the most efficient process but i didn't want to put in a drainage bucket and risk forgetting it and flooding my floor. Anyways, the foamhead collapsed so i think its done freaking out and i can start dialing it in over the next couple of days.

Your getting some really nice pieces! Purple Stylo , rainbow poci , Cali tort

You could've gotten some too. Next swap is in 6 months :P

Sk8n Reefer

You could've gotten some too. Next swap is in 6 months :P

Really- got them at a local swap- nice! I am full anyway- still got 3 frags on the rack with no where for them to go ?. My upgrade is waiting though- I picked up a 50cube and planning out everything. Pretty excited to grow out some large sps ? . Are you going to ReefEd next weekend? I have to travel for work so I can't make it- pretty bummed- Gonzo's always has some nice pieces

Really- got them at a local swap- nice! I am full anyway- still got 3 frags on the rack with no where for them to go . My upgrade is waiting though- I picked up a 50cube and planning out everything. Pretty excited to grow out some large sps . Are you going to ReefEd next weekend? I have to travel for work so I can't make it- pretty bummed- Gonzo's always has some nice pieces

Probably not. With quarantining my fish and all the money that has gone into that, I think husband is pretty sick of spending money on the tank. Lol. Plus I have a party on that Saturday.

Ya, you've had a lot of action with your tank lately!

That would qualify as an understatement. Lol

Zhuque died yesterday. :( It was extremely disstressing to watch her go through starving herself. One of LFS was even giving me free food to try and get her to eat. I spent around $100 on different foods and after seeing me in like the 3rd time and knowing what was going on, the LFS owner just started giving me different foods to try. (Aquamart for my Denver peeps, a very unexpected and much appreciated kindness) I wish I could've reported to him that she was okay. -sigh-

Everyone else looks good/not stressed. At this point, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone died. Well, maybe not if the tang died since, well, he's a tang. But this one is eating really well and is loving the grazing discs. So I would be a little surprised.

I put in an order for fish today (with Aquamart, they won my fish business although Aquatic Art will still have my coral business):

3 McCosker Flasher Wrasses (1 male, 2 female)

1 Flame Angel

1 ORA target mandarin (replacement)

1 neon goby (replacing the SOB that brought the ich in)

1 yellow clown goby (replacement)

I'll be paying the LFS to do a 3 to 4 week medicated QT with cupramine, metroplex, Dr. G's anti-parasitic and Garlic Guard. This will replace the fish I've lost (minus one mandarin) and finish our fish stocking list for the tank. The LFS owner wasn't in today, but the guy that took my list is going to drop it off at his house on the way home and said usually the owner will call either later tonight or tomorrow when he orders.

My current residents are on their last week of meds this week (yay!) and then its another 3 weeks until the display should be ready for them (6 week fallow period) which will be right before my mom arrives to visit. Literally, like the day before. She flies in the morning of June 13th and the tank will finish on June 12th. So it will be a busy time.

Got some good Top Down shots of the display

Katropora and Candy Apple Red Zoas

11146574_10205426558516022_1481342902724

Katropora

11220945_10205426558356018_8483957161582

Kittiyagi

11258377_10205426558276016_4902831148574

Kittiyagi, Mint Pavona, Candy Apple Red Zoas and Wobbegong Zoas

11209604_10205426556955983_9189570226382

Katropora, Kittiyagi, Mint Pavona, Candy Apple Red zoas, and Wobbegong zoas

11255501_10205426557155988_7016020929762

Zoa Island: Blue Hornets, Gold Palys, Red Hornets, Candy Apple Orange, Miami Vice, more Gold Palys, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Utter Chaos, Dragon Eyes

11150939_10205426556075961_3345536941633

Rainbow BTA

11255225_10205426556275966_7438877345626

Rainbow BTA eating

11118266_10205426555235940_6548423501561

Rainbow Montipora colony

11255412_10205426555995959_6469121056395

Ponape Birdsnest

11260392_10205426555155938_1581605615844

Cali Tort, starting to see some PE and coloring up again

11210391_10205426554475921_7661793139351

Starburst Monti cap and Pastel Favia

18587_10205426554515922_5334454368092642

Red Monti Cap

11204877_10205426554435920_1702799829918

Did they quarantine for you? I am planning out my fish now for the 50 cube- my wife really wants the shrimp/Goby pair. I went to visit my large Birdsnest at AA a few weeks ago but someone bought it- hope it lives on and thrives

Just wanted to let you know, Aquamart does medicated qt for however long you want at $25 a week per tank. They put your order in however many tanks is needed and you tell them how long. Pretty cheap. Or it is if you have a big or medium sized order. And no other fish is in that tank. Just yours.

Just wanted to let you know, Aquamart does medicated qt for however long you want at $25 a week per tank. They put your order in however many tanks is needed and you tell them how long. Pretty cheap. Or it is if you have a big or medium sized order. And no other fish is in that tank. Just yours.

That is a great service, wow.

That is a great service, wow.

Yep. And I don't have to worry about a tank sitter messing up my qt tank while my mom's here. Their qt room is a walk through so customers can see what fish are coming up for sale and the date they will be available so I can go check on my fishies everyday if I wanted. But I will probably only go in twice a week. Dont want to make a nuisance out of myself. Lol

Mamo-chan II is doing really well. He comes out of hiding within seconds of me moving away from the tank instead of minutes. His wound looks also to have totally healed. I didn't notice at the LFS, but it looked like he had a tang spike wound when I got him home. It wasn't fresh and was healing well so I kept him. He was in a tank with a slightly larger Naso so I am assuming they got into it. But anyways, he is doing really well, so is my replacement clown, Raoul, and with no one beating him up anymore, Phantom's fins are healing well. By the time I separated the clowns when I moved them into QT, Phantom was missing a chunk in every fin. The fighting got really bad the couple days before moving to qt. And he was submissive. But she kept going after him and even while he was doing the shaky dance. Raoul and Phantom seem to get along really well. I made sure there was a dramatic size difference between them.

Sandman was really stressed because I didn't have a good hidey hole for him in QT, but after Zhuque died, I disinfected the triceratops skulon that tank and put it in the 55. Sandman moves right in and seems much happier with a space that can cover his entire body. He would try to live in the castle with Mamo-chan and Usagi, but they would kick him out.

And since I have given updates on everyone else, I should update about Usagi. I think she has gotten fatter and thats about all there is to report on her. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

The saga of my frustration and pain continues:

The QT tank had an undetected nitrite spike last week. I say undetected, because my primary test kit was faulty. The tang was showing terrible signs, everyone else looked good, tang died, body was quickly removed, an hour later my clowns were gasping at the surface and Usagi was incredibly stressed. I tested with one kit, says everything was fine, I tested with my back up, and nitrites were through the roof.

I moved everyone to a 10 gallon and figured the shock of being moved to a clean environment was worth the risk then spending another hour acclimating from a toxic one. It was a gamble that paid off. Colors immproved with in minutes, normal behavior was resumed within minutes.

Honestly, the tang was my canary. If he hadn't died, I would have probably lost everyone. It happened so fast. No one was showing signs of stress and then BOOM everyone was knocking on death's door.

Since emergency water changes would be easier on a smaller tank, I moved them to my 20 long and started dosing cupramine. This whole ordeal is incredibly stressful. I'm not saying we're out of the woods until everyone is in my display and has been there for at least a month. Appareantly I jinx myself when I get optimistic. I wish these next few weeks would sail by.

Other news on the Display, my vortech I complained about a few weeks ago did die, and I have a replacement that should be arriving today. So thats two failed wetsides. Hopefully, it was just a bad batch since both pumps were manufactured within 3 weeks of each other.

We also ordered the DOS last night. So I'm pretty excited about that and nervous too. I've been doing such a good job with my SPS, I'm afraid programming it wrong might ruin the progress. lol But it will be here for 3 weeks before I leave on vacation and the tank is with a sitter so I have plenty of time to get it reliably working.

Supposedly, my new fish at the LFS should be there. I haven't gotten a call (dont know if I will, I forgot to ask), but orders are placed Monday and arrive Tuesday. The tang died before the order was placed, and I told my husband I didn't know if I wanted another one. Appareantly I'm a tang killer, and I've taken this fact really hard. Losing Mamo-chan II was a traumatic event because I really love these fish and I think they're beautiful. Seeing his wife in a puddle of tears, my husband took it upon himself to get a Kole Tang added to our order. At least I won't have to watch this one die and the LFS just eats the price of the fish if it dies in their care.

But I pray everything goes well from here on out. My rabbitfish has been acting funny, and so had the diamond goby. The copper levels were at .5 like they should be but nitrites were the next lowest reading to 0. So I did a 25% water change and the rabbitfish looks happier. I'm not sure if its the nitrite or the copper bothering her, but I think I will just get up to .5 over the next 2 to 4 days. I'm not dosing cupramine until tonight, so I have no idea what the water change dropped copper levels to since I haven't tested since changing the water.

Opinions on this matter? two or four days to get levels back up? or is Seachem's reccommended .5 too severe to begin with?

Sorry for the long text update, i've been too depressed about how this is all going to make smaller "as it happens" posts. But my display looks good, so thats something to be happy about. I just want everything to calm the **** down.

Sorry t hear of all the troubles, but it looks like you may have turned the corner. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully. I wouldn't be surprised if I get my first grey hairs from all of this. I worry so much I dream about the fish. Lol. I can't get away from them.

Sorry to hear about all this! I feel like a fish killer at time too. I think we all have a phase like this. Fish are just so delicate and touchy and when things go wrong they seem to really go wrong. Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged!

thecoralbeauty

About time I followed someone else local. I didn't know aqua mart did that. hm. I got my flasher wrasse from them. very pleased!

About time I followed someone else local. I didn't know aqua mart did that. hm. I got my flasher wrasse from them. very pleased!

So far, Jeff is the man. I was really partial to Aquatic Arts but Jeff has been great going through all this like giving me free food to try and save my mandy. Plus he has stuff he can get that I guess Aqustic Arts cant. I dont know why aquatic arts couldnt get them... But Aquatic Arts still beats them when it comes to corals.

When did you get him? I saw one a few weeks ago, but we want a trio. So that little guy stayed lol

Not going to lie, its kind of weird thinking that we might never meet, but we cery seriously could see each other's fish! Next time you're in if you see a NFS with flashers, a flame angel, a kole tang and some gobies, those are probably mine! Lol

Archived