Top Shelf Aquatics

The Nautilus [85 shallow]- New family member

lkoechle

Sk8n Reefer

Looks like a fun trip- great shot of the Elk. Just saw your PM - once I start the transfer I will most likely need to make some frags. Maybe we can meet at AA sometime. Heading up to our cabin in Pine today for most of the week- not sure yet if I'll be around this weekend

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a fun trip- great shot of the Elk. Just saw your PM - once I start the transfer I will most likely need to make some frags. Maybe we can meet at AA sometime. Heading up to our cabin in Pine today for most of the week- not sure yet if I'll be around this weekend

Sounds good. Just PM me whenever. We are going to Vail July 24 & 25 (our first and last time for a while with no kids lol). But we'll be here on Sunday. I'm not ready to leave my 16 month old for more than 24 hours yet. lol No rush :) The jug isn't going anywhere.

Congratulations on your big news!

I can't wait to see some tank pics with all the new fishies.

Pictures!

New FTS

18905267464_a57feb8aec_c.jpg

Things look a little barren but I haven't actually gotten rid of anything. We just moved things around and glued them down. If you look near the arch, we've glued a pocillopora on the vertical face, so far it seems pretty happy there. Might be an option for some other corals down the road.

19501687966_9db0791725_c.jpg

My montis have just exploded. The birdsnest has really good growth too, just hard to tell because it's growing into a fairly compact colony. You can see the vertical pocci better here too. The psammacora is starting to encrust and so is the stylo. Behind the psammacora is the cali tort which has just taken off, but I couldn't get a good photo showing its awesome colors, so sorry. On the far left of the photo, you can see the starburst cyphastrea. When I got that guy in May, he only had 3 polyps, was brown and I thought it was dead but just crossed my fingers. Thing's come back like a beast.

19532037891_2996b651e4_c.jpg[/url

I swear the mystic sunset monti went on a massive growth spurt while we were gone. You can also see the green slimer is doing really good, he was more encrusted but we cut his disc to putty him down, you can see the small frag of that in front of the mystic sunset.

19532035261_2dc0476b79_c.jpg

Kittiyagi is slower to encrust but it's awfully interested in growing vertically, no complaints here.

19339843300_4dbb068d42_c.jpg

This was suppose to be a photo of my beautiful Usagi (and it is) but it's also the only photo that came out with the Katropora's true to life colors. You can see it is almost totally over the plug and on to the rock as well as starting to branch out.

19339855660_b49a9f1157_c.jpg

Sandman

19339847170_13892caa1a_c.jpg

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

19341270779_e9fdd85352_c.jpg

Family shot sans Sandman and Luna-P. It's feeding time, can you tell? (excuse dirty glass)

19521453522_398f3030ce_c.jpg

The adorable Luna-P

I wish the video wasn't so blue. I think I'm going to need to make a filming/photography mode on my lights. I really hate how badly LEDs screw around with it... but here is a video I made mainly for my family who've never seen my tank. One up side to the funky lights is my rabbitfish's markings look totally badass. lol

https://youtu.be/ZFO_4ZHGiV0

And a cute/very funny video of my son rocking out to gangam style. The turns and all that is him trying to do the moves on the music video.

https://youtu.be/HFz2iRH99x0

Love the latest FTS and the video. Looks like everything is doing really well right now. I still really love that white background. Makes the tank look so bright and crisp.

Got a new fish! Introducing my Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse, Cinna!

Named because he looks like a fish version of this dude!

cinna-stylist.jpg

He's getting along with everybody. I'm really pleased with him so far. I expected him to hide for a couple of days like my other wrasses have done, but he only hid the rest of the evening and was a little skittish this morning but is now cool with everyone walking around the tank.

I was debating between him and another solar wrasse, but I went with him. I think its because his coloring is very similar to this eel I was a huge fan of (but will never own).

17434154702_3bf0056365_c.jpg

Enough chatter. Photos!

19818254681_04546da610_c.jpg

19625403570_3a4cc769ec_c.jpg

19818262311_5bb836b82b_c.jpg

19625432148_377085260c_c.jpg

19192548393_014477e643_c.jpg

19192551063_9117f2ff88_c.jpg

Beautiful fairy wrasse! I'm impressed you got such clear shots of him. Those guys are always hard to photograph because they're always moving.

Beautiful fairy wrasse! I'm impressed you got such clear shots of him. Those guys are always hard to photograph because they're always moving.

Dont worry, I have 40 shots of blur too. Lol. After aa while, I am pretty sure he was checking out the camera. It definitely looked lile he was curious.

New Coral Beauty:

19812208508_c7c69cdaa6_c.jpg

New baby:

19813661319_ff07f7f442_b.jpg

:wub: I didn't get an ultrasound until 20 weeks with my son, so it was exciting to get a dating ultrasound and see baby before 20 weeks on Wednesday.

Beautiful new fish! I had a coral beauty for a long time and she was such an awesome fish. I hope yours does well for you!

Congrats on the ultrasound! :)

• 3 weeks later...
thecoralbeauty

Beautiful new fish! I had a coral beauty for a long time and she was such an awesome fish. I hope yours does well for you!

Congrats on the ultrasound! :)

New Coral Beauty:

19812208508_c7c69cdaa6_c.jpg

New baby:

19813661319_ff07f7f442_b.jpg

:wub: I didn't get an ultrasound until 20 weeks with my son, so it was exciting to get a dating ultrasound and see baby before 20 weeks on Wednesday.

everything is beautiful! and congratulations!!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone asked me for updates on my local forum, so I figured I should check in here too since I have been MIA. Lol

I have been a bad tank keeper. I don't think I have done anything in a month aside from top offs and frozen food every now and then.

Thankfully, we anticipated this if I got pregnant and thats why we spent so much money on tech :P so things have been going along just fine.

There was a little bleaching on the rainbow monti and the purple stylo but I dont do water changes and dose amino acids manually. So before checking levels, I started dosing again and within two days the corals had started to recover. So I think the water was just stripped too much of nutrients thanks to no water changes and no amono acids dosing (cal and alk are controlled by the DOS, amino acids is all I do myself).

On another note, while feeding mysis today, I saw my mandy grab a piece but spit it out because it was too big. So I think I am going to make another mandarin training box for her and give her some supplemental feedings. She is still skinnier than I want her to be. But since she has shown interest in mysis and pygmy angel cubes (weird right?), maybe I can get her to eat something else like Rods original or micro pellets. She seems to ignore roe and black worms which is what my green mandarins ate, so we will see what she actually finds appealing and get some weight back on her.

The new coral beauty (well, new as if almost a month ago) has been a model citizen and a really good addition. Iddly, it only eats roe. Which I am fine with since its super cheap, but still weird. It will pick pieces of the angel cube out of the water column once its thawed, but doesn't seen to be an eager eater. It hasn't picked at any corals though, so it must be finding enough micro algae to keep itself entertained.

There has been really good growth on the kat and my green slimer, the kitti is still the slowest of those three, I think the cali tort is faster growing than it too.

I would post photos, but my dslr battery is dead and I can't find the charger. So hopefully later, especially because I just cleaned it and its all nice and white again!

• 2 weeks later...

Usagi was looking rabbit-licious today and my African Cleaner Wrasse thought so too. Got some interesting pictures. She usually doesn't tolerate this, but today she let him do a deep cleaning. As she matures, her yellow is getting very vibrant. It was vibrant when she was a juvi (also posted a comparison photo, yes that's the same fish 8 months ago! started at 1". Seriously, I thought Blue Zoo sent me a bag of water. Now pushing 5" o.O) But it went away for awhile and people thought I had a "white fish".... <_<

I will get FTS someday...

21036108399_97a572d14b_c.jpg

"Madame, would you like a cleaning today?"

21222926345_0bc3784f6f_c.jpg

"Why yes that would be lovely!"

"Alright, let me just get in here..."

21035017258_e320bc4473_c.jpg

"Om nom, nom, nom!"

20601808193_b8fda8f6e4_c.jpg

"Oh! I feel like a little juvenile again! Thank you!"

(Note: that is not scratched glass, that is fin blur)

Memory Monday! (Is that a thing? I don't know, I just know its not a Thursday)

10847437_10204696799952514_4746036753193

Some others taken today:

21222917165_f372d3e7d8_c.jpg

Luna-P, you can see she's still thin. But I've started feeding her roe 2x a day and she's slowly fattening up

21196688966_cf9a2c0915_c.jpg

Phantom and Raoul hanging out BENEATH the anemone. Oh well, its better than the corner they were hosting before... Baby steps...

21212541212_856aee154d_c.jpg

But, seriously, who could say "no" to these luxurious accommodations? This baby is pushing 8 inches! Stupid clown fish...

WOW. Incredible cleaning pictures.

Not gonna lie, I find it kind of gross. lol I have a weird thing about holes in body parts (like holes actually leading inside your body, ears, nose, that kind of things) and things going in those holes. Like a fish inside another fish's gills. Gives me the heebie jeebies, does make fore cool pictures though. lol

Archived