SaltCritters.com

The Nautilus [85 shallow]- New family member

lkoechle

Does this mean we have to behave? :huh:

I was thinking more that now I have other people who can help me spam him when I want stuff :P

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some comparison shots for one month growth on my SPS and LPS I got at ReefStock at the end of February. I don't know if this is great growth, but keeping SPS and LPS is new to me, and I think it looks like decent growth! (Any IDs on the acros would be great! I think the green is a slimer, but I'm not sure. ID pls?)

Acan lord rescue project

11141771_10205196724610318_6205177811069

Blue acro

11149481_10205196724450314_7882677055212

It was originally one stick, now there are three branches and it's encrusting the plug. This is one that popped off during acclimation and had to be reglued to the plug.

green acro

11055254_10205196724410313_6309520716532

This dude is as different as night and day. It also had to be re-glued and had some die off on the bottom half. It's almost finished encrusting the dead bottom half and has reached its way to the base. The colors are really coming in now! :-D

orange leptasrea

10354684_10205196724810323_3542741117871

I think the growth is self explanatory :P

Mystic Sunset Montipora (encrusting)

11148633_10205196725010328_8661887006979

BAM! Look at that plug! Oh wait! Where is the plug? :D

ORA Mint Pavona

11062754_10205196724890325_2174766637802

In the process of encrusting. Slower growing, but I think its because its in slightly lower flow then it would like.

Starburst Monti Cap

11133722_10205196725130331_7389624392656

Hard to see, but it is growing up as well as out. You can definitely tell from the front of the plug to the base of the base of the monti.

So what do you think, Oh SPS/LPS Gods and Godesses of Nano-reef? Am I doing good? Or am I just too excited for something that's not a big deal?

Great job on the growth and just as important the color get excited- get very excited

I've had two TOTM tell me its good. I feel like a little kid meeting santa clause who told me I've been good all year... Or in this case, all month.

Picked up a Kole Tang on Friday. His name is Mamo-chan! (props if you can figure out where mamo-chan and usagi come from without googling it)

Usagi doesn't seem 100% sure of him yet, but she's been happier since having him and is more like her old self. I also put in an order for a flame angel and a McCosker Flasher wrasse male and 2 lady McCoskers. The LFS owner said he'll try to get the McCosker, but he's hada difficult time getting them lately.

Anyways, here are some photos of Mamo-chan. I'll try to get better pictures, but he's very zoomie.

post-69028-0-73624100-1428809823_thumb.jpg

post-69028-0-18041200-1428809843_thumb.jpg

post-69028-0-68875400-1428809862_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

I want to get a kole tang to go with my truncatus bristletooth. I also wanted a whitetail bristletooth (so I would have the three species in that complex, they all look almost identical when juveniles and very similar as adults) but price on those have skyrocketed thanks to PEA.

I want to get a kole tang to go with my truncatus bristletooth. I also wanted a whitetail bristletooth (so I would have the three species in that complex, they all look almost identical when juveniles and very similar as adults) but price on those have skyrocketed thanks to PEA.

PEA? I never looked around for the whitetail. My husband doesn't like that the whitetails stay burgundy instead of turning blue like koles. but I only paid $35 for the kole. Then again, I've noticed my LFS is incredibly underpriced then a lot of places.

Gotta love those Kole tangs. Really cool personalities. Looks like he's buddied up with the rabbit. B)

Yep slept in the same whole for the first time last night. Now its time for my mandarins to make some kissy face without the rabbit butting in. :P

Quick update, will do a proper one with new photos later: So the Kole Tang has passed away. I have no idea why. He had no signs of ich (see photos above taken only a day or two before he died). He was leaning against a rock before I went to bed one night and in the morning he was laying on his side. He couldn't right himself, possibly a swim bladder issue and died about 5 hours later.

The next day my cleaner goby shows up with Ich. Now I am in the process of filling a 50 galon tank to move everyone over. Here is my plan:

Let DT go fallow for a month

Medicate food with metroplex, focus, and SECLON in the morning and a Seachem vitamin additive (can't remember name) in the evening

Treat water with Stressguard and Paraguard

Hopefully, I can avoid using copper. I view copper the same way I view chemo, you're trying to poison the disease before you yourself die of the poison. But I have a bottle of cupramine and copper test kit on hand as a last resort.

Other news, CORALCORALCORAL

I am officially the owner of both the katropora and the kittiyagi. :) Husband surprised me with them as well as a psamocorra and Kat surprised me with a pastel favia for my birthday. I will get photos up after the fishies are caught and moved to QT.

There was also a frag swap on Saturday so there are 9 new coral additions including a Ponape Birdsnest (I love them), a Cali Tort, and a Tubs Blue Milli ( rather washed out ATM, hopefully will color up soon).

My skimmer went on the fritz and the only way I was able to fix it was to take everything apart, clean it and essentially do a factory reset. So far seems to have worked although it needs to break in again.

Thats it! Oh and a photo for your troubles. My empty QT on top of an Ikea dresser we purchased that matches the DT stand PERFECTLY. Might figure out another QT option in the distant future because this tank has Sea Pony potential written all over it!

11037257_10205332268238824_1760056140564

jedimasterben

Cupramine (an aminated copper) is not the 'poison' that copper is made out to be. In very elevated levels, it is absolutely detrimental to fish, but at treatment levels, it is fine. Public aquariums use it (along with copper sulfate, which is a bit less safe), and they would not if it were poisoning and reducing the life expectancy of the fish they're trying to treat.

Sorry about your Koke and ick! Sucks to lose a fish

Yeah... once this all clears up and residents are back in the main tank, i will probably buy another kole when we get our mccosker trio and flame angel in qt... now that i have a big enough tank to qt everyone. We were to see if we could pay AA to qt for us. So i guess ich has its upside... or at least there is a silver lining in the situation. Lol

Sk8n Reefer

Yeah... once this all clears up and residents are back in the main tank, i will probably buy another kole when we get our mccosker trio and flame angel in qt... now that i have a big enough tank to qt everyone. We were to see if we could pay AA to qt for us. So i guess ich has its upside... or at least there is a silver lining in the situation. Lol

Did they quarantine for you? I am planning out my fish now for the 50 cube- my wife really wants the shrimp/Goby pair. I went to visit my large Birdsnest at AA a few weeks ago but someone bought it- hope it lives on and thrives ?

No. We were going to ask though. For shrimp and goby pair you could by a little 5 gallon and heater and HOB filter. Thats what my mandarins are in for qt right now.

Shoot. SOME DAYS I HATE THIS HOBBY! LKJFGLJDFSOIGFJRENRG.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, everything has been crazy the last three days with driving across town to pick up a tank, mixing water, pulling water, catching fish (my sleeper goby is still in the display, he is being a little B****), worrying about said fish. My rabbitfish literally went after my had when catching her. Totally ignored spoon/net/box/whatever was coming towards her and would try and spine my hand. The little fish has balls for sure. So that was a little hairy.

And you know what I wake up to this morning? A stalled vortech. the opposite one of the one ecotech just had to replace. Are you kidding me? The pump is 5 months old! So, I took a part the wet side, cleaned it, put it back together and got it going. I let out a huge exhale and sigh of relief. About two hours later, I hear this terrible grinding, its the vortech. I'm going to have my husband look at it when he gets home, just to see if there's something I've missed, but I will be most likely be giving ecotech a call tomorrow... and my skimmer still doesn't work. sdlkfjsljfieowfsld

But here are some pictures of the QTs. I love the decor, I mean, this is the only time saltwater hobbyists get to play with freshwater stuff :P

11140756_10205347693544447_2600082832009

Krieger playing king of the castle lol

11156365_10205347693704451_7358319950007

The mandarins are pretty pleased with thier triceratops skull. They swim in and out and all around. I really hope I don't lose these guys. But I'm very worried about feeding. The male will eat black worms, but the female only eats pods. I will most likely be picking up some pods and brine shrimp for her to try and get her eating.

11125271_10205347693864455_9073733168100

I am so stressed from all of this. Not to mention I'm a stay at home, so when I'm not focused on the tank, I'm taking care of my son. My house has gone to crap. I hate a dirty house. I'm so far behind and yet, I know I need to take a break when I get it.

I swear, in this hobby when it rains, it doesn't storm, it freaking flash floods.

Sad day to day. First official casualty of ich. Kiefer was doing better but was still sluggish. He didn't run at all when I caught him to put him in QT. Today, I found him stuck to the AC70S intake tube. :( my husband was very good at pointing this out to me: it doesn't matter how many fish we lose, we have to go through this process and will be hypervigilant in the future. He is right. It just blows. He also reminded me the fish are the cheapest part of our tank. Not to sound heartless but to relieve my stress and anxiety. I am a stay at home so I am very sensitive to when I feel like I am losing money since I am not earning any. Fish cost money so dead fish = lost money. Still sucks all the way around though. My cleaner goby has been MIA for two days so I think he is dead as well. I believe he was patient zero.

Actually, I think overdosed him. Which explains absence of ich spots. Stress guard is suppose to be safe with any kind of medication and doesnt exclude paraguard on the bottle.... -sigh- I just now came across this information while doing an unrelated search. Now I feel doubly bad. At least it dissapatesin 24 hours And everyo e else looks fine...

Archived