Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I have time tonight, I'm going to transfer all the frag tank stuff over to the Cadlights tank. So this tank will live on, sort of, as a frag tank. I think it will be a much better frag tank than the Evolve because I can run the skimmer now, and hopefully go bare bottom. Eventually I'd like to get rid of the rock and just run some biomedia in the back chamber, to make it easier to keep the frags clean.

Just in case I somehow crash it in the move, here's one last pic of the Evolve 4 frag tank. All the frags on the side racks are from the crashed Cadlights tank. You can see that they're a little shriveled up, but starting to open up and recover.

27134736941_ea849a0190_b.jpg2016--05-23 Evolve 4 Frag Tank Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

natalia_la_loca

I just found this picture on the memory card in the camera. I'd forgotten I'd taken it, the night the alk got left on, after the lights went down. So it's officially the last picture I have of this tank before the crash :)

26911855070_dfa829c0ab_b.jpg20160516-untitled-001-2-Edit-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

What a gorgeous photo to remember it by.

Oh that last photo is beautiful

What a gorgeous photo to remember it by.

Thanks to both of you!

I read that high Ph helps kill dinos. I can now testify that it also kills everything else if you get it high enough to kill dinos :lol:

Wait... did you actually confirm the dinos died? You might have more survivors than you thought! :D

We go camping in Winchester beautiful mountains but I feel as if its always wet and cold...

You just need to pick better weekends :lol:

Wait... did you actually confirm the dinos died? You might have more survivors than you thought! :D

I'm really not gonna think about this. La la la la la la la....

The transfer of the frags to this tank is complete! And I like the new arrangement much better already. The Cadlights 4g tank is actually a little bigger than the Evolve, plus there's the skimmer and the nice media basket.

I just moved the live rock and the frags over. I left the sand behind. I also carefully inspected every single rock for vermetid snails. The good news is I only found four. So I think they are pretty much gone in this tank now, and I just need to keep a sharp eye on the frags when I move them in and out of the other tanks to make sure they don't bring any in with them.

As soon as I confirm things are stable and pest free, it will finally be time to sell off a few frags to make room. This tank is seriously overcrowded :)

I just found this picture on the memory card in the camera. I'd forgotten I'd taken it, the night the alk got left on, after the lights went down. So it's officially the last picture I have of this tank before the crash :)

26911855070_dfa829c0ab_b.jpg20160516-untitled-001-2-Edit-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I love this! I only see my Pom Pom every once in awhile and have like one good pic of it:(

So sad to see all the loss

Your last pic of this tank makes me so so sad.:-( It was a beauty, thats for sure.

However, I think you have a great plan as you move forward with your upgrade and turning this tank into a frag tank. I expect that both will be spectacular when they come into their own!

Noooo! This is so sad! What an unfortunate mistake. :( Not a good week last week for many it seems.

As you know I have the IM 40. I think it's too tall. I can barely reach the sand to siphon it every week. And every week I stretch and strain, and am sore the next day.

The chambers in the back are also really big, which is good for fitting equipment. But I have to use two large fist sized balls of polyfil in the floss holders. I am going through a TON of it and should be changing it twice a week, but only do once a week...

Really thinking I'm going to swap out for the Lagoon 25. Wish we were closer, I'd give you an awesome deal on the 40!!

Just checking in and saw this tank crashed. So sad! I loved this tank, but good for you sticking with it and moving forward!!

I'm just catching up to this Teeny, as I'm sick of reading about jar threads on here and haven't visited much. Dude this sucks ass, man I am so sorry for the crash. The frag idea might work, but knowing you I'm sure you'll bounce back and get this one up and running again. Just take this as another learning and move on.

You're like one of my first mentors in this forum man, and I hate to see this type of thing happen :(

I love this! I only see my Pom Pom every once in awhile and have like one good pic of it:(

So sad to see all the loss

Yeah, I'm glad he came out to say goodbye :)

Your last pic of this tank makes me so so sad.:-( It was a beauty, thats for sure.

However, I think you have a great plan as you move forward with your upgrade and turning this tank into a frag tank. I expect that both will be spectacular when they come into their own!

Thanks, Dawn! I'll try to get a picture of the frag tank setup tonight.

Noooo! This is so sad! What an unfortunate mistake. :( Not a good week last week for many it seems.

As you know I have the IM 40. I think it's too tall. I can barely reach the sand to siphon it every week. And every week I stretch and strain, and am sore the next day.

The chambers in the back are also really big, which is good for fitting equipment. But I have to use two large fist sized balls of polyfil in the floss holders. I am going through a TON of it and should be changing it twice a week, but only do once a week...

Really thinking I'm going to swap out for the Lagoon 25. Wish we were closer, I'd give you an awesome deal on the 40!!

I appreciate the feedback, Kimber! My 90g is the same depth and I agree, it's an inconvenient depth. However, this tank will be on a surface that's lower than the my 90g tank stand, and I think lower than yours (I remember you had to allow enough height for the cat box :D). So I think it will be manageable.

It's too bad we can't just trade! I'd be happy to get a FUsion 40 for the cost of a 25 Lagoon :) But the shipping costs would eat up all the savings for both of us.

I think I'll go with a media basket with flat poly, or just a filter sock arrangement. So hopefully that will help with the excess fiber usage!

Just checking in and saw this tank crashed. So sad! I loved this tank, but good for you sticking with it and moving forward!!

Thanks, Tibbsy! Hope all is well with you :)

I'm just catching up to this Teeny, as I'm sick of reading about jar threads on here and haven't visited much. Dude this sucks ass, man I am so sorry for the crash. The frag idea might work, but knowing you I'm sure you'll bounce back and get this one up and running again. Just take this as another learning and move on.

You're like one of my first mentors in this forum man, and I hate to see this type of thing happen :(

Thanks for the kind words. I hope at least nobody will repeat my mistakes :)

Here are some pictures of the tank in it's new incarnation as a frag tank. I'm sad about losing everything in the crash, but I'm looking forward to upgrading. In the meantime, this turned out to be a nice frag tank upgrade.

Here's how it looks, in the front of the study between the windows in the front of the house.

26627107913_ef695f145c_b.jpg2016-05-24 Cadlights 4g Frag Tank Full Room Shot by TeenyReef, on Flickr

FTS:

27197640576_4afdaf80cb_b.jpg2016-05-24 Cadlights 4g Frag Tank FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Top Down:

27197642596_a830b46802_b.jpg2016-05-24 Cadlights 4g Frag Tank Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Teeny,

where did you get the plexiglass frag holders? Also, what kind of camera are you using? The shots are awesome!

The frag tank upgrade looks great! You have lots of pretty coral in there which will be nice to get the big tank off to a good start.

That turned out nice!

^^

Can frag tank win TOTM? It looks really cute!!

:lol: I guess a frag tank could win in theory. But I appreciate the thought - thanks, all. I still miss all the inhabitants of the old setup but seeing the tank itself cleaned up and growing nice corals again is very encouraging.

Teeny,

where did you get the plexiglass frag holders? Also, what kind of camera are you using? The shots are awesome!

Thanks!

The frag racks are from Oceaanbox Designs: https://oceanboxdesigns.com/

He's a sponsor here on N-R and has a thread on his products here. I'm very happy with them, and he ships very quickly!

My camera is a Nikon D5500. I have a 90mm Tamron macro lens, but most of my shots are taken with the kit lens. I shoot in RAW and clean up white balance, exposure, etc. in Lightroom. Also, the "shake reduction" filter in Photoshop is amazing at sharpening up closely cropped pictures.

The frag tank upgrade looks great! You have lots of pretty coral in there which will be nice to get the big tank off to a good start.

Thanks, Dawn! Things are very overcrowded now, I have frag racks in the 10g tank, too. It's because I'm trying to save all the zoa frags that survived the tank crash, plus I already had a bunch of frags growing out already.

I hope to sort through what I've got in a few more days once I see what pulls through. At a minimum, I've got a bunch of green monti cap and GSP frags to get rid of!

When I was examining the rocks during the frag tank transfer, I was impressed by how much new life has appeared on them. These rocks started life as uncured live rock I bought for the 10g tank. I didn't need all of it, so I just scrubbed the leftovers clean and let them dry out.

About a year later, I used a hammer and cold chisel to break up the rocks into rubble for the frag tank, and the rubble pieces have been in the tank about three months. The amazing thing is that even after all that, there are all kinds of creatures growing in the tank. Some may have come into the tank as hitchikers on new frags, although I did everything and theoretically that should take care of anything.

But I have plenty of pods and tiny bristleworms, and I even spotted a small brittle star on one of the rocks! But the coolest thing is this little bivalve. I don't know what it is, some kind of clam or mussel or whatever. I saw the shell on the rock when I was breaking them up and didn't think anything about it since it was obviously dead, and it was only about the size of my little fingernail. But look at it now :eek:

26647369904_d57c7e43be_b.jpg20160525-untitled-012-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a macro shot. It's very clearly alive and well after sitting dry in the garage for over a year.

27156938762_e5c0115b42_b.jpg20160525-untitled-014-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, some frags, just because :)

26647367034_2858caee99_b.jpg20160525-untitled-001-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've started a thread for the soon-to-be upgrade tank! :happydance:

TeenyReef's Not-So-Teeny Tank

I'm going to move the 10g tank where the 4g tank was before the crash, on the desk in the study, and put the upgrade tank in place of the 10g tank. I'll keep this thread going as long as it's running as a frag tank, though!

I love that little bi-valve! That is amazing that it could survive that treatment. Some creatures must be able to go into a dormancy.

I love that little bi-valve! That is amazing that it could survive that treatment. Some creatures must be able to go into a dormancy.

Thanks, Dawn. I keep thinking, "that can't possible be from the original live rock, it had to have snuck in on a frag." But I remember seeing it's little shell when I was breaking up the rocks after they sat in the garage for a year. It's amazing how tough some things can be, and then you have acros that die in an hour if you just sneeze in their general direction :lol:

Archived