Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Thanks, Dawn. I keep thinking, "that can't possible be from the original live rock, it had to have snuck in on a frag." But I remember seeing it's little shell when I was breaking up the rocks after they sat in the garage for a year. It's amazing how tough some things can be, and then you have acros that die in an hour if you just sneeze in their general direction :lol:

Ha ha, then try not to sneeze! JK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved some frags around today. I glued a few of the zoa frags in the 10g tank, and freed up enough space to remove the big ugly frag rack in the front of the 10g tank, so it looks more like a display tank again. :)

I moved the 10g tank to the desk where the 4g tank used to be. In the process, I switched lights between the 10g and the 4g, because the 4g has a much bigger light, the AI Hydra 26 (roughly equivalent to a Nanobox Duo, just with not quite as good LED's :)).

So now the Hyrda 26 is over the 10g tank, and I've got the nicest one of my Nanobox Mini Tides over the 4g frag tank, with four channels, the V3 LED array, and the cool thin-look case with the wood grain cover. I think it looks really nice now. :D

27367614525_d3b1eb2946_b.jpg20160530_212211.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

blizzardscout2

The frag tank looks great! It is amazing how that bivalve survived a year in your garage. I had struggled with Dinos as well and the ultimate fix was physical removal and then a complete blackout for 5 days with a blanket wrapping the tank. Haven't seen them since.

The frag tank looks great! It is amazing how that bivalve survived a year in your garage. I had struggled with Dinos as well and the ultimate fix was physical removal and then a complete blackout for 5 days with a blanket wrapping the tank. Haven't seen them since.

Thanks! So far I've seen no sign of them after the second blackout. I didn't do a complete blackout, just turned the lights off for three days.

It helps, too, that it's a frag tank, so most of the non-sps frags could be pulled out and dipped in peroxide if necessary.

wow this is awesome! what are those tubes on the back for?

Thank you! The tubes are for the doser (2 part) and the ATO.

Elizabeth94

I can't get over how nice the green star polyps look in there. They just look so big and fuzzy in that tank haha

I can't get over how nice the green star polyps look in there. They just look so big and fuzzy in that tank haha

Thanks! I really need to get off my lazy butt and post some frags for sale. I've got about five or six of those gsp frags and they're taking over. :unsure:

I took some pictures of the frags the other night. I mostly need to get rid of GSP and monticap frags. I'm going to hang on to the zoas and other frags until I know which I will need when I populate the new 40g tank.

If anyone's interested, I'll sell any of these for $10 each plus shipping, or $20 each plus shipping for the bigger green monticap frags.

GSP (one sample frag, but they all look pretty much the same):

27413484942_9e22a9e556_b.jpg20160606-untitled-001-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Monticaps on 2" plugs -

Red:

27440134001_40b503fd8f_b.jpg20160606-untitled-005.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Green:

26903170644_363e896476_b.jpg20160606-untitled-006.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Bigger green monticaps, these are about 2 1/2" wide:

26904386483_78bc6533a2_b.jpg20160606-untitled-008.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from vacation and the frag tank is going strong. Since there are no fish in this tank, the tank sitter didn't feed anything. Nitrates are at zero and phosphates are at .01. In spite of the low nutrients, everything seems to be doing pretty well. I'll give everything a good feeding tonight!

27648963420_cbb41ef219_b.jpg2016-06-26 Cadlights 4g Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

You sure like to pack the hell out of these little tanks ;)

I need a frag tank also but 4 gallons just seems a bit small for me :lol:

You sure like to pack the hell out of these little tanks ;)

I need a frag tank also but 4 gallons just seems a bit small for me :lol:

Ha! Yes, a bigger tank would be much better. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that I have a full-up 4g setup ready to go :)

I'll admit I've been thinking about upgrading the frag tank to something bigger. Maybe after I get the 40g going and mature :lol:

Maybe you just need a frag cone or some lean-to's in the middle of the tank and lights coming in from the top and sides so you can fit more frags in 4g than just a rack across the bottom.

Max that thing up!

(and those duncans look humongo in there. :lol: )

Maybe you just need a frag cone or some lean-to's in the middle of the tank and lights coming in from the top and sides so you can fit more frags in 4g than just a rack across the bottom.

Max that thing up!

(and those duncans look humongo in there. :lol: )

:lol: Frag cone! I like it!

I just moved the duncans into the 40g tank. Now they look teeny :)

Ironically, now that I have the 40g set up and lots of room to keep frags in there, this tank is doing really well. Nitrates are holding at zero, and it seems like they are really zero because I'm getting very little algae. Phosphates have been holding steady at about .06.

But the real proof is in the corals. They are all growing well and getting good colors. I may try putting some acros back in there just to see how they do.

I had the macro lens out to take some pictures in the 10g tank, so I shot a few zoas just to record progress.

These guys were doing well in the 4g tank, before the crash, but after the frag tank reboot they've started multiplying like crazy.

27478727473_40acb38fe2_b.jpg20160704-untitled-001-3-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I thought I was going to lose these, they were all closed up at first. Now they're opening up and they've got great color.

28015669381_baf1a5d2be_b.jpg20160704-untitled-003-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I'm super happy about these. I thought they had died in the old 4g frag tank. After the crash, I broke off every piece of rock that had anything left alive on it, and these guys popped up almost out of nowhere!

27479011814_cc61e73338_b.jpg20160704-untitled-004-2-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've had some questions about how well the Picoskim skimmer works. Other than having to get a really strong air pump, and having to replace the air stones every 6-8 weeks, it really works great. Here's what I pulled out over the last week:

28039029402_f973a2a4fa_b.jpgPicoskim Skimmate by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Slowtwitch

Looks like a urine specimen. You sure that came out of the tank? Maybe one too many beers?

I've had some questions about how well the Picoskim skimmer works. Other than having to get a really strong air pump, and having to replace the air stones every 6-8 weeks, it really works great. Here's what I pulled out over the last week:

28039029402_f973a2a4fa_b.jpgPicoskim Skimmate by TeenyReef, on Flickr

natalia_la_loca

Those are some happy looking zoas.

Are the blue and green ones "searchlights"? I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell me a few? I really miss my old Caribbean zoas, and Aquascapers is still in limbo.

Looks like a urine specimen. You sure that came out of the tank? Maybe one too many beers?

I would hope he could hold onto a 100ml before needing to use the loo :scarry:

MrNanoReef

I'm back from vacation and the frag tank is going strong. Since there are no fish in this tank, the tank sitter didn't feed anything. Nitrates are at zero and phosphates are at .01. In spite of the low nutrients, everything seems to be doing pretty well. I'll give everything a good feeding tonight!

27648963420_cbb41ef219_b.jpg2016-06-26 Cadlights 4g Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sweet! Your frag tank is looking way better than some of the display tank out there...no offense :)

PS. Dips on those sweet green monti if you are ever fragging them :)

Slowtwitch

I would hope he could hold onto a 100ml before needing to use the loo :scarry:

Maybe Teenyreef has a teeny bladder...?

What is this? The one in the top right!

teeny_zpsenr7adia.jpg

If you ever want to sell it I want please!!!!!

Archived