Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Looks like a urine specimen. You sure that came out of the tank? Maybe one too many beers?

I would hope he could hold onto a 100ml before needing to use the loo :scarry:

Maybe Teenyreef has a teeny bladder...?

:lol: I've always heard that air powered skimmers produce "tea looking" skimmate. But you're right, it definitely looks more like pee :unsure:

Those are some happy looking zoas.

Are the blue and green ones "searchlights"? I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell me a few? I really miss my old Caribbean zoas, and Aquascapers is still in limbo.

Of course I'd be happy to! Maybe we could do a trade - do you have any of your old Aquascapers zoas still? I'm too lazy to check your thread right now :lol:

Sweet! Your frag tank is looking way better than some of the display tank out there...no offense :)

PS. Dips on those sweet green monti if you are ever fragging them :)

I'm happy to sell green montis any time, I always have too many frags. But unless you want to do overnight shipping, I'd recommend waiting until the weather cools down a little. They do great with second day shipping.

What is this? The one in the top right!

teeny_zpsenr7adia.jpg

If you ever want to sell it I want please!!!!!

I think that's one of the candy apple zoas. I'll try to get a better picture. I have a lot of them if you want a frag.

Erbady wants to buy your frags ;)

Maybe if I sell a couple hundred frags I can make back at least one or two percent of the money I've spent on this hobby :lol:

Seriously though, I'm happy to share these frags, and I'm not interested in making big bucks, so anyone is welcome to PM me if there's anything you'd like. Even if I only have one frag, the zoas are pretty quick to make new frags.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MrNanoReef

:lol: I've always heard that air powered skimmers produce "tea looking" skimmate. But you're right, it definitely looks more like pee :unsure:

Of course I'd be happy to! Maybe we could do a trade - do you have any of your old Aquascapers zoas still? I'm too lazy to check your thread right now :lol:

I'm happy to sell green montis any time, I always have too many frags. But unless you want to do overnight shipping, I'd recommend waiting until the weather cools down a little. They do great with second day shipping.

I think that's one of the candy apple zoas. I'll try to get a better picture. I have a lot of them if you want a frag.

Maybe if I sell a couple hundred frags I can make back at least one or two percent of the money I've spent on this hobby :lol:

Seriously though, I'm happy to share these frags, and I'm not interested in making big bucks, so anyone is welcome to PM me if there's anything you'd like. Even if I only have one frag, the zoas are pretty quick to make new frags.

Awesome! I'll get in touch with you once weather cool down.

:lol: Hopefully we can help you make back that few percent! Maybe enough to buy a few frags for the big boy tank. I will definitely keep this in mind though for when my new tank is finally up.

What is this? The one in the top right!

teeny_zpsenr7adia.jpg

If you ever want to sell it I want please!!!!!

Here's a picture of one of the other frag plugs with some candy apples. Or maybe they're whammin' watermelon. Whatever they are, they are getting some interesting color variations :)

28106469801_a15441ff63_b.jpgCandy Apples and Friends by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those are so awesome! I want to start a zoa garden so bad

Thanks!

what camera setup do you use for these pics?

I have a Nikon D5500. Most of the time I use the kit lens, but the last couple pics were taken with a Tamron 90 mm macro lens.

:tears: Wow, I am a little in shock still that this tank is no longer like it was. I must say though, you make a frag tank look amazing! I'll have to get some frags from you as soon as my tanks are moved in.

Woah!! Put me on the list too!!! :D

me 2!

I really don't know if they will stay that way - I'm not sure whether it was the light, or the stress induce by recovering from the alk overdose, or what. But I sure hope they do :D

:tears: Wow, I am a little in shock still that this tank is no longer like it was. I must say though, you make a frag tank look amazing! I'll have to get some frags from you as soon as my tanks are moved in.

Thanks! I'll be moving some into the big tank but I'm sure there will be plenty left over.

When I got back from my mini-vacation I noticed the zoas weren't doing quite as well as before, just a little more closed up and not as big and colorful. I also notice that the monti caps were pale and had lost quite a bit of color. Nothing terrible, just not as good as before.

I checked parameters - everything was normal except Nitrates and Phosphates were both zero. So I think the tank is super clean and I'm not feeding enough. I've started daily feedings with coral food (Reef Roids) on the days when I'm not target feeding all the tanks, and today I changed water using old water from the 10g tank, which has really good parameters. So far, things seem to be perking up a bit, so I'm encouraged.

In the meantime, I've been noticing lots of these little guys on the glass. I suspect they are flatworms, does anyone recognize them? This picture is really blown up and enhanced to make it visible - in reality they are about the size of a piece of sand.

28242208615_109f0f1904_b.jpg20160711-untitled-004-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Elizabeth94

Looks like a flatworm to me. Not sure if its a coral muncher, smotherer, or harmless. Hmm

Might want to dip some zoas and see if any flatworms fall off.

Looks like a flatworm to me. Not sure if its a coral muncher, smotherer, or harmless. Hmm

Might want to dip some zoas and see if any flatworms fall off.

I don't have much experience with flatworms, but all the pictures I could find showed them being way bigger than these, so that's why I'm not sure.

I dip the frags in this tank regularly, but it's hard to tell if these guys are on the zoas because they're so tiny.

The only flatworms I've had are these, which are [one of] the harmless ones:

Flatworm%20b_zpskfhvwbzm.jpg

They started out tiny like a copepod and grew to about 1-2mm long

Thanks! Fingers crossed these are the harmless kind and I'm just going through some kind of bloom. It makes me nervous about letting any of these frags go to anyone else's tank though. I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.

Elizabeth94

The color of your flatworm makes me a little nervous. I think I read somewhere that you can tell what they eat by their color? I dont know, but since yours is a bright red/purpley color it makes me think.

Time for more research..

The color of your flatworm makes me a little nervous. I think I read somewhere that you can tell what they eat by their color? I dont know, but since yours is a bright red/purpley color it makes me think.

Time for more research..

The color's a little deceptive - to the naked eye they look white/transparent. That red color only showed up after I really played around with reducing highlights and exposure to try and get a sharper picture. So I'm not sure how real the color it.

But I agree, between the shape and the color in this picture, that's why I'm a little nervous about it!

This picture gives a better view of the size and color. The nozzle on the left is the Spinstream. For scale, it's about 3/4" in diameter.

28098309750_61ddc758b4_b.jpg20160708_210618.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

PS: I'm going to go to the LFS tomorrow and get some Flatworm Exit, just in case. I don't have any fish, and very few snails in this tank, so it probably will be a fairly easy thing to try to do.

mystersyster

I've had the same looking flatworm show up in my tank recently. And it was after I got my first frag of zoas :scarry:

I'm putting my melanurus wrasse back in my 40b in another week, so I'm counting on him munching them up. Looking forward to seeing how flatworm exit works for you.

Beautiful pictures! Those zoas!! It's crazy how nice something like whamming watermelons and eagle eyes are but people overlook them for being "common". I'm trying to get some but have a hard time finding them because people don't want to keep the common stuff!

I have a Nikon D5500 too and a macro lens... and I haven't been using it... these pretty pictures bring me shame for being so lazy :closedeyes:

Elizabeth94

Wel, since they are hanging out on the glass they might be algae eaters. I did read the hitch hiker ID thread here on nano reef, and it said white clear ones were harmless. Hmm.

The color's a little deceptive - to the naked eye they look white/transparent. That red color only showed up after I really played around with reducing highlights and exposure to try and get a sharper picture. So I'm not sure how real the color it.

But I agree, between the shape and the color in this picture, that's why I'm a little nervous about it!

This picture gives a better view of the size and color. The nozzle on the left is the Spinstream. For scale, it's about 3/4" in diameter.

28098309750_61ddc758b4_b.jpg20160708_210618.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

PS: I'm going to go to the LFS tomorrow and get some Flatworm Exit, just in case. I don't have any fish, and very few snails in this tank, so it probably will be a fairly easy thing to try to do.

I have those in my zoa frag tank. They do not eat the zoas, but they crawl on them thus keeping them closed.

Put a wrasse in there and problem solved. :happydance:

I should also mention that I think a wrasse is needed in any zoa tank to take care of pods and flatworms. Both of which are no good for zoa's.

Those look similar to the flatworms I have, mine just had a slightly more tan color. They used to be all over the glass and sand, but now the most I ever see is one or two small ones that are barely noticeable. I never saw them on any coral. I never really did anything about them apart from vacuuming the sandbed a little more, and they seemed to run their course over a period of about 6 weeks.

Also, I agree with Elizabeth that they are more likely algae eaters (and possibly detrivores since I saw them on the sand, but there's algae there, too), but not coral eaters (at least I never saw one climb on coral). I did once try feeding one to the red war coral. Coral wasn't interested... Flatworm wasn't interested and went its merry way.

And I believe FWE might not work with this kind, but interested to hear how it goes if you try it.

What are those dotted lines on the glass? Tiny segmented worms of some sort?

Yea they are flatworms, I had them in my tank for about 9 months before I found out what they were. They never caused anything in my tank any harm. I did however treat my tank with flatworm rx and they all died and I've never seen them since.

definitely pickup a some kind of wrasse. i went with a leopard wrasse because of my flatworm problem but also for the looks. i believe 6-line wrasses are good for flatworms too.

Archived