Pod Your Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

Hey is right, whatever you get is gonna have mad crazy growth and fill in fast!

Thanks Kimberbee ! I hope things continue to do well. Lots of variables to try and control ? hopefully the transition to the new lighting will be good for all.

I was running on 65%, but went down to 50% after careful observation.

The Disco-Balling evident on the sand in the photo is much less in reality

JUST ORDERED INTANK MEDIA BASKETS!

Ya, I get that disco ball too sometimes- not a big deal but looks odd in photos. You have plenty of more light power should the SPS need it! Nice on the media brackets! ?.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

Some macro shots of some micro life!

Growing under my idaho grape.

Co0Y8Ow.jpg

fYrWkyj.jpg

KN9NWnw.jpg

Shrooms- take such good pics

1XZHOlc.jpg

Benny hanging out

EJ3MHwN.jpg

Poci

Xq610FE.jpg

Mille

7AT9SHp.jpg

Ponape

SHhrSDu.jpg

That Poci is getting dangerously close to my bubblegum. Time for a trimming

0SeG6fw.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

I looove white hermits with blue eyes!! :wub:

Haha! For sure, their pretty mellow- I started with 9 and still have 7. One of them switch a larger shell and rules the place.

That is a great picture of the tail spot! That is going to be my next fish addition.

Ya, pretty cool fish! Some say they may nip at an sps but I haven't seen him do that- hopefully he's plenty full with regular food. He'll come right up to the glass and pose ?

Sk8n Reefer

Really like this webby sponge. Very cool

Co0Y8Ow.jpg

Ya its becoming a cool little piece. Surprised by how white it is staying- need to splash a little dirt on it!

Sk8n Reefer

Who is the guy hiding in the sponge?

Haha- brittle star ! Good catch! Been chilling there- never wonders out.

Sk8n Reefer

Gorgeous macro shots! I love the one of Benny :wub: How did you get him to stay still?

Thanks! Hrs of training and dedication.........hahaha- actually he's quite the poser- that's one of his spots that he chills in and stays for a decent amount of time. That spot in the rock and in the Idaho Grape

Stunning photos! Love that shot of the blenny :D

Thanks ReeferBoo! Ya, great personality for sure

mm sponges, found a marble sized yellow ball sponge the other day in my tank. I wish i had some way to see into my rockwork because i am sure its full of cryptic sponge goodness. I've been debating on introducing a really invasive sponge into my tank that my lfs has in one of theres, not sure if it will out compete the corals so I am waiting to see what all happens to theirs lol.

Sk8n Reefer

mm sponges, found a marble sized yellow ball sponge the other day in my tank. I wish i had some way to see into my rockwork because i am sure its full of cryptic sponge goodness. I've been debating on introducing a really invasive sponge into my tank that my lfs has in one of theres, not sure if it will out compete the corals so I am waiting to see what all happens to theirs lol.

Nice - is the round sponge like this one? This one is also a neat one that hangs out under my shrooms

cfa04d40c6287455ff7a5ead9509cf00_zps37b3

Invasive - really it's a fast grower? What color is it?

The Lfs one is all white, has really long extensions off of it. I only know it's invasive from people complaining about it on random rc threads when I was searching for sponges to add that do well in reef systems.

The Lfs one is all white, has really long extensions off of it. I only know it's invasive from people complaining about it on random rc threads when I was searching for sponges to add that do well in reef systems.

My reef tank has 3 types of sponges, a deep pink one, a round one like Sk8n showed and the the all white one with the long tentacles. Mostly they stay in the dark and shadows but if the white one with the tentacles gets to infringing on my corals I just pull it off. It's easier to control than my macro algeas.

Your tailspot makes me want one! What fish do you have in there? The tailspot and the two clowns?

Your photos are always awesome.

Sk8n Reefer

Your tailspot makes me want one! What fish do you have in there? The tailspot and the two clowns?

Your photos are always awesome.

Thanks Stellablue! Yes just the 3 fish, cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab- a happy little community ? I would definately recommend a Tailspot - very comical fish

Thanks Stellablue! Yes just the 3 fish, cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab- a happy little community I would definately recommend a Tailspot - very comical fish

Did you have a ruby at one point? I may be thinking of someone else!

Your emerald crab is cute. Not many of them are cute!

Sk8n Reefer

Did you have a ruby at one point? I may be thinking of someone else!

Your emerald crab is cute. Not many of them are cute!

Yes, I did have a Ruby red- he was eating well and getting fat then one day disappeared - mystery death for sure. Great fish- I would like to get another one at some point but I am worried their is something in there that killed em. Maybe a huge Aiptasia I can't see or something like that. Maybe when I tear down and transfer I'll see something

I love those green/teal shrooms too! So cool.

Yes, I did have a Ruby red- he was eating well and getting fat then one day disappeared - mystery death for sure. Great fish- I would like to get another one at some point but I am worried their is something in there that killed em. Maybe a huge Aiptasia I can't see or something like that. Maybe when I tear down and transfer I'll see something

Speaking of huge aiptasia. One appeared in the front of my tank last week. HUGE. The tentacles are 1.5/2 inches. I need to kill it, but I kind of like watching it!

and I realized I just spammed your page with a gazillion replies all at once :)

Sk8n Reefer

I love those green/teal shrooms too! So cool.

Speaking of huge aiptasia. One appeared in the front of my tank last week. HUGE. The tentacles are 1.5/2 inches. I need to kill it, but I kind of like watching it!

and I realized I just spammed your page with a gazillion replies all at once :)

no worries , ya better get on that Aiptasia before they spread- things are like weeds. Mushrooms are nice but they sting my SPS - can't have that ?
Sk8n Reefer

It was a good day at the lfs yesterday - getting things closer for the 50gal.

7b8098aa96dacac5f38560dc6761a8ba_zpsm3hv

Back to square one on the sump though the estimate was a bit pricey- I am back to looking for a stock type sump. Leaning toward the trigger clear of Ruby cube sumps. They would be perfect but I am not like that the inlet goes directly into the sock- the noise is a little bit much on the ones I've seen. When they over flow from the inlet into the sock it seems much better. Anyone have luck adding an extension tube with holes in it for the inlet into the sock? I am really liking the eshopps New RS-75 sump ( not the old ones ) because of the price and their quiet inlet/ sock set up- super quiet but it's a smaller sump- decisions decisions ?

Archived