oKejJTY.jpg

gRfPY3A.jpg

Took top downs. (page repost)

N923rNy.jpg

sC1zLwd.jpg

v7usoeB.jpg

5sUObDz.jpg

5UFAqL4.jpg

Same milli, down near the bottom of the tank.

U1dAuDp.jpg

Umh0B6b.jpg

lSHNfQ5.jpg

G0amFCu.jpg

c6wyj9e.jpg

3JgABc0.jpg

NgINGeO.jpg

Still brown.

8taN4ah.jpg

R9O6KxG.jpg

N0ik55A.jpg

9vf3CVp.jpg

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, Veng said:

How much and at what concentration of 2 part do you dose in a day?  

It's TLF C-Balance that I buy in gallon jug concentrates, just add RODI.  Currently at 80ml a day each part but I also add fully saturated Kalk so who knows how much it would be if not for that.  I bought the BRS two part mix but I'm afraid to switch since the concentration will be different.  C-Balance is getting expensive!

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Mother of god!

8 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

What Dave said. :wub:

Thanks all for the nice words. :)  My top down box limits the coverage so the out of tank shots is the best I could do for wide top downs.

• Like 3

You should look at a simple manual focus wide/fisheye lens. You can find them on eBay for ~ $100-200. Makes the top down really fun. 

• Like 3
On 6/23/2017 at 11:18 AM, Sk8n Reefer said:

Wow Mark, tank is looking amazing- great job! 

Thanks, nice to see you around!

On 6/23/2017 at 11:27 AM, TJ_Burton said:

Jaw dropping corals you have, good sir!

Thanks TJ.

On 6/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, samnaz said:

Your top down photos are always incredible. What lense are you working with?

This is just the kit lens from the 3200 using a NIKON D5500.  Post processing done in Photoshop which has a really good raw filter to fix the white balance.

----------------------

A year ago the tank was just recovering from all my mistakes.  While I think an interceptor treatment helped to improve things I still think the primary cause was me continuing to react and change things while the tank was healing.  Only after I got fed up and stopped changing things, and went on vacation, did the tank really start to turn around.  Interceptor killed a lot of bugs chewing on some of the acros but I believe most of these were eating stressed skin and the treatment gave the acros a chance to heal up.  So yes, it helped, but the pests were not a primary cause of decline. 

Anyway, the size that some of these corals have grown in one year is amazing.

SvQX4Akh.jpg

5sUObDzh.jpg

--

GXOgvo7h.jpg

U1dAuDph.jpg

--

ClmpEdCh.jpg

N923rNyh.jpg

--

V3SBn1jh.jpg

v7usoeBh.jpg

--

Z8BaV3Gh.jpg

NgINGeOh.jpg

--

qv5Wjjfh.jpg

lSHNfQ5h.jpg

--

bJAruIgh.jpg

9vf3CVph.jpg

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Berlibee said:

Looks good ! And what were your main mistakes?

Assuming acros would show improvements within a week of me changing things.  It can take months. :)   I lost my favorite pink acro just over a month ago but I did nothing since I figured whatever went wrong did so weeks before pinky showed stress and the problem must have resolved itself.  In the past I would have focused on just that acro, made changes to try and save it, and ended up damaging other acros in the process.  Letting it die was tough, but the best solution.  

If other acros had showed stress I might have reacted differently but the first reaction should always be to observe and do nothing until one can be sure that a change is needed.   I did do a small water change, just in case, and dimmed the LED's by 10% just in case there was additional stress.  I also monitored the KH daily, yes daily, to make sure even my tiny changes did not upset the tank.   Nothing happened, it died, the tank looks great.   

• Like 3
On 6/23/2017 at 9:49 AM, markalot said:

It's TLF C-Balance that I buy in gallon jug concentrates, just add RODI.  Currently at 80ml a day each part but I also add fully saturated Kalk so who knows how much it would be if not for that.  I bought the BRS two part mix but I'm afraid to switch since the concentration will be different.  C-Balance is getting expensive!

If I did my math right, that means you're adding roughly 10 grams of coral skeleton a day. :o

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Veng said:

If I did my math right, that means you're adding roughly 10 grams of coral skeleton a day. :o

Good grief :o    Up to 85ml now.  $$$

• Like 4

The Flame Angel is occasionally nipping, but mostly at the green digi.  Nice and fat but still not eating anything I feed.  Amazingly I never saw any trace of Ich.

usWIEot.jpg

FTS

wF9K47F.jpg

• Like 9

Again great updates and giving your opinion. I think you nailed it perfectly about chasing one corals demise while hurting others. I swear corals get "sick". The rest of the tank looks incredible while one looks bad. People often react to quickly and start a chain reaction. 

Any who keep it up! Your pictures make people go gaga! ;) 

-Dave

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Again great updates and giving your opinion. I think you nailed it perfectly about chasing one corals demise while hurting others. I swear corals get "sick". The rest of the tank looks incredible while one looks bad. People often react to quickly and start a chain reaction. 

Any who keep it up! Your pictures make people go gaga! ;) 

-Dave

Thanks Dave.  I can't wait to get the mini version of this light over the 40. :D

14 hours ago, markalot said:

FTS

wF9K47F.jpg

Well Mark I've been gone a while... looks like you went and mastered the reefing game! Real pleasure to see what this tank has become

jedimaster1138
On 6/25/2017 at 9:05 PM, markalot said:

The Flame Angel is occasionally nipping, but mostly at the green digi.  Nice and fat but still not eating anything I feed.  Amazingly I never saw any trace of Ich.

usWIEot.jpg

FTS

wF9K47F.jpg

This is one of the best tanks I've seen. It's a masterpiece, doubly so because of all the pain you went through a while back. It doesn't hurt that your photography skills are second to none either.

The images of the giant green slimer colony adjacent to the giant purple Stylophora colony should be in a text book on reef keeping. The color contrast is flawless. And the top-down showing the red cap nearby too... Don't even get me started about the other Acropora colonies either. 

Superbly done. Period.

This tank is Batman. It went through some horrible pain, now it's kicking ass. 

• Like 5

Mark your top down shots are always fantastic, but those new angled top down semi FTS shots just blow me away. Nice choice on the D5500, I love mine. And I also use the kit lens for almost everything, it really works well. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
On 6/25/2017 at 9:05 PM, markalot said:

usWIEot.jpg

Beyond what you see with the green digi, would you say the flame angel is "fairly" safe for SPS? I know the caveat, not all fish are equal....

My LFS has a small one in QT for weeks now, and man, it sure looks good! 

2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Beyond what you see with the green digi, would you say the flame angel is "fairly" safe for SPS? I know the caveat, not all fish are equal....

My LFS has a small one in QT for weeks now, and man, it sure looks good! 

Fairly safe, yes.  Even though the one I bought was in the store for a while he still prefers picking algae to anything I feed.  I've also seen behavior where he will hover over a green coral as if to pick at it and then remember it wasn't that good and move on.  So far no loss of polyp extension on any acro.

• Like 2
jedimaster1138

Mark, apologies if this has been asked already, or is just back there 789 pages, lol, but what's your flow plan / position like in this tank? We have the same layout, although your tank is slightly bigger, we have the same big ugly overflow towers. Curious how you have your flow arranged.

• Like 1