Pod Your Reef

Nanofreaks Tiny Terror Algae returns!

Nanofreak79

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked at the reef angels many times. I just never pulled the trigger. To me it was confusing on what was actually needed to do certain things. You have to purchase quite a few modules off the bat.

The only module I have is the PWC or whatever for my old LEDs (DIY). I run an ATO, powerheads pH probe, temp probe, heater, fan and return pump (so I can shut it off for feed mode/ water changes etc.) without issue.

Nanofreak79

Hey buddy! Yeah, I will most likely upgrade my larger systems controller. I'll make sure to run it by you, and make sure I get the right stuff. Do you have the plus model?

The plus came out like a week after I got mine. If your just going to do the basics you don't really need it, but I'd spring for it just to have the extra capabilities as I do push the limit fairly well (I have a big code for the LEDs to ramp up/down and all that good stuff...) with the original.

I'm no expert, I've gotten alot of help with my coding from the guys in the forum and the code generator, but it isn't as hard as it seems IMO, and when there is something new developed you don't have to wait for the big company to drag their feet rolling it out like you do the others ;)

Nanofreak79

I've been on there website/forum. It looks like there's lots of helpful people. I get interested in the coding stuff, but like when I can get help too.

I've been on there website/forum. It looks like there's lots of helpful people. I get interested in the coding stuff, but like when I can get help too.

Yeah their forum was very helpful, even the stuff that is now pretty old will get you pretty far without really having to ask for much help. + Its kinda fun to be able to set it all up and tweek basically any aspect of it however you want.

I also have an old AC Jr. that does the basics and its actually the one I am running on my 40 because I didn't need all the extras, heck with the minimal equipment, mp40 and radion I basically just use it to monitor temp lol

Nanofreak79

The plus isn't really that much more anyway. I like all the different modules. My issue would be adding all the extras, and making it into a expensive controller. It still seems cheaper than an apex. I'd really like to control my vortechs. That's a big one. I hate having to manually change the modes. My reef keeper can turn them on random as far as on/off, and then night mode which turns them off at night. Nothing like the apex though.

IMO, the apex can and has failed on people before. Just cause it's expensive doesn't necessarily make it the best controller on the market.

The plus isn't really that much more anyway. I like all the different modules. My issue would be adding all the extras, and making it into a expensive controller. It still seems cheaper than an apex. I'd really like to control my vortechs. That's a big one. I hate having to manually change the modes. My reef keeper can turn them on random as far as on/off, and then night mode which turns them off at night. Nothing like the apex though. IMO, the apex can and has failed on people before. Just cause it's expensive doesn't necessarily make it the best controller on the market.

Yeah the RA can basically do anything the apex can, obviously with the proper module (which can get pricey, but so can the apex and really most things in the hobby lol) but still if you want a basic but expandable unit that could rival the apex IMO the RA is a good option.

Anything is capable of failing, I've been running my RA for about 2 years now and initially I had some bad wires, but Roberto (owner) promptly sent new ones and helped me get everything going quickly and I haven't had a problem since. When my 70 blew the seem it got completely soaked, but it still works perfectly fine.... my AC jr is atleast 5-6 yrs old and it still works fine too tho for what it does.

Nanofreak79

I almost picked up tamberavs jr. She had for sale. I just couldn't justify buying an $85 module, and then make a breakout box to. The $135 just turned into an expensive fix for my needs. Once I setup the new tank I won't have easy access, nor is it easy to have an ATO switch on another tank when doing maintenance. I have to unplug the aqualifter every time I do a WC. Anyway, I've owned the apex lite, which was cool, but I'm trying to slum it here....it's turning out to cost me more money than I had planned.

I'm fo sho getting an RA for the new tank. I'll sell off my RKL and all the modules to help pay for it. I can pester you if I have questions. lol

I almost picked up tamberavs jr. She had for sale. I just couldn't justify buying an $85 module, and then make a breakout box to. The $135 just turned into an expensive fix for my needs. Once I setup the new tank I won't have easy access, nor is it easy to have an ATO switch on another tank when doing maintenance. I have to unplug the aqualifter every time I do a WC. Anyway, I've owned the apex lite, which was cool, but I'm trying to slum it here....it's turning out to cost me more money than I had planned.

Trust me I know all to well right now about spending more then you planned on something.

I'm fo sho getting an RA for the new tank. I'll sell off my RKL and all the modules to help pay for it. I can pester you if I have questions. lol

LOL I don't know how much help I will be, I haven't messed with my code in 2 yrs. I set it all up and been done with it. The code generator really makes it pretty easy tho.

You need to update your tank thread.

Nothing exciting going on there... hell right now not much of anything exciting going on anywhere lol

Nanofreak79

I feel ya. I heard something about a broken window? Did you go all hulk on it. Lmao!

I'll have some cool updates on Tuesday for this tank.

I feel ya. I heard something about a broken window? Did you go all hulk on it. Lmao!

Yeah it was a rather humid day around here and the window sticks anyways. I usually just give the frame a little jab and it pops open, well my aim was off and pushed my hand right through the glass instead. I really didn't even pop it that hard, but being 6'5 285 my not that hard and a piece of glass' not so hard are apparently 2 different things lol

I'll have some cool updates on Tuesday for this tank.

Sweet, look forward to it :)

Nanofreak79

Oops, I just hulk smashed the window honey. Shit ain't stuck no more, plenty of airflow. Your a big dude. I'm 6'1" 235 yes, the extra inch is really closer to 2" haha.

Oops, I just hulk smashed the window honey. Shit ain't stuck no more, plenty of airflow.

Yeah, she didn't care, its in my fish room.... But yeah amazingly enough the damn thing didn't stick afterwards at all :wacko:

Your a big dude. I'm 6'1" 235 yes, the extra inch is really closer to 2" haha.

Yeah, I get that alot LOL...... Extra inch?

Nanofreak79

As in 6'1", but really 6'2" according to my exact measurements. ;) did you #### your hand up?

Oh ok got ya now lol....

Nope couple minor little cuts but nothing serious thankfully. Pulled the little glass pieces out and called it a day :)

Nanofreak79

Got my WP-10 and neo therm today. Lighting should be here tomorrow. I'll post up some new picks tomorrow after lights get put on tank. I also have a surprise.....

The WP-10 kicks ass! This thing was cheap ass hell, especially for what it can do. IMO

Nanofreak79

Me to, it's been a little slow. I have some things coming from MD at the end of the week to.

Nanofreak79

Recieved the some more tank equipment today. I finally recieved the light! It's a current USA outer orbit marine led. I have added a fire clown that I picked up yesterday at my local LFS. The damsel has been in there since I filled the tank. Don't worry, I've been using prodibio and ammo lock from them as well. No fish were harmed in this video. I also picked up a few snails, some nassarius and two trochus. The colors of the led are pretty close to what you would see in person.....of course not perfect, I used my iPad mini instead of my camera. I'll get another video later.

Archived