Top Shelf Aquatics

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small update today:

The hammer has not made ANY improvement or change, but hasn't become any worse. It's still tiny, deflated, and purple without any green anymore :(

Torch and everything else is doing great still. Fed some mysis the other day so they're all nice and fat.

Small update today:

The hammer has not made ANY improvement or change, but hasn't become any worse. It's still tiny, deflated, and purple without any green anymore :(

Torch and everything else is doing great still. Fed some mysis the other day so they're all nice and fat.

Well... you're trying and I know your frustration! Sounds like it's doing the same as mine: no better, no worse. My new action plan is to try moving it every few days. I'm hoping it's just not in the ideal spot yet...

Small update today:

as long as there's flesh, it can be saved! just find a low flow med light area and let it be. it may take weeks.

Hey man, the purply web looking thing on your hammer was a sponge or tunicate can't really ID it specifically. Completely harmless and definitely not the cause of your hammer acting mad. IME lps do better in a slightly aged tank that isn't kept too clean aka feed the tank regularly and don't be too anal about water changes. Keep an eye on algae and just from algae growth/how the corals are looking as to whether or not you need to do a change. My lps seems to do best when I have algae growing at an active rate and that only happens when I feed a pretty good amount daily. I just keep a decent cuc to mow it down as it grows.

Do a huge water change ~80%. I notice that things start to decline after too few water changes or not enough volume changed. Its water quality, flow and light. I don't think you have too much light or flow so its likely water quality and you were dumping in medicine.

Also, I used to use Purigen on my old tank and things looked better without it. Might want to just use Chemipure Elite.

Do a huge water change ~80%. I notice that things start to decline after too few water changes or not enough volume changed. Its water quality, flow and light. I don't think you have too much light or flow so its likely water quality and you were dumping in medicine.

Also, I used to use Purigen on my old tank and things looked better without it. Might want to just use Chemipure Elite.

Kijho what are your parameters at?

There's been a few suggestions about this, but my params were perfect. Zero's all around, 450 calcium, 160 Kh, 1.27 Sg, Temp 77* - check the last page and page 39 for the detailed rundown on them this past week. I haven't done a WC since I returned from Toronto last week, either. My params were apparantly TOO clean which is super strange because I was running without any media in my filter for a bit.

Anyways, have been feeding somewhat generously this past week with actual dead food (mysis, blood worms) and things are doing pretty good yesterday. My Acans are SUPER FAT they look so lovely, Ric's nice and wide, my zoa's are happy and my torch is super happy I was spot feeding the mouths' some mysis actually. The "sweepers" were actually pulling it in which was very neat.

Clownfish loves blood worms and she was devouring them, perhaps the extra meaty food will help her a bit. She's been more lively too.

Anyways, things SEEM pretty good this week despite last weeks struggle. I think the water has become a bit less "perfect" and this might be the reason :)

WC this week ofcourse, I've been pretty religious with my 20% WC's... I don't think an 80% WC would be a good idea.

Will post pics soon!! :)

Anyways, things SEEM pretty good this week despite last weeks struggle. I think the water has become a bit less "perfect" and this might be the reason :)

WC this week ofcourse, I've been pretty religious with my 20% WC's... I don't think an 80% WC would be a good idea.

Hows the hammer doing?

I moved mine up to an area with a little less flow and a little more light. It's doing marginally better, but still not quite as happy as it once was.

Hows the hammer doing?

I moved mine up to an area with a little less flow and a little more light. It's doing marginally better, but still not quite as happy as it once was.

Hammer hasn't changed :( Moved it around to a few different spots, but it's got no slime or anything yet..

There's been a few suggestions about this, but my params were perfect. Zero's all around, 450 calcium, 160 Kh, 1.27 Sg, Temp 77* - check the last page and page 39 for the detailed rundown on them this past week. I haven't done a WC since I returned from Toronto last week, either. My params were apparantly TOO clean which is super strange because I was running without any media in my filter for a bit.

Anyways, have been feeding somewhat generously this past week with actual dead food (mysis, blood worms) and things are doing pretty good yesterday. My Acans are SUPER FAT they look so lovely, Ric's nice and wide, my zoa's are happy and my torch is super happy I was spot feeding the mouths' some mysis actually. The "sweepers" were actually pulling it in which was very neat.

Clownfish loves blood worms and she was devouring them, perhaps the extra meaty food will help her a bit. She's been more lively too.

Your KH is at 150?? That seems really high? I thought KH was supposed to be at like 7-8?

It's good to hear about everything else!!!

Your KH is at 150?? That seems really high? I thought KH was supposed to be at like 7-8?

It's good to hear about everything else!!!

Kh for Marine fish and invertebrates:

8º - 12º (140-200 ppm)

I'm at 9 drops, approx 150 ppm Kh.

I really do feel like on a traditional system a bit of algae growth is a sign of a healthy system, if its out of control growth then obv its a problem but a film on the glass and film on rocks for cuc to eat isn't unattractive if cleaned off periodically from the glass and everything just looks happier.

On my first system I kept it insanely clean for about 5 months and experienced 0 growth from anything. I wasn't feeding enough is all I concluded.

Thanks Hey for the feedback and help so far! :)

All I wanna say is this guys - Nuvo 20 in a few months time ???????????????????? hahaha...

NorthGaHillbilly

All I wanna say is this guys - Nuvo 20 in a few months time ???????????????????? hahaha...

Ahh shit, I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with 20 gallons to play with.

Ahhhhh!! I love IM Aio tanks! Are you going to keep your spec up or just move everything over? I think your clown would love the extra space ?

Listed my motorbike up for sale today.. sad :(

But saving for a new car and the bike unfortunately hinders that process, plus winter is coming in a month and we get like 7 months worth of snow so it would just sit in the garage stored anyways. New bike next season I hope...

Day 152:

Well, I began feeding mysis and blood worms somewhat generously lately. My Clown has become SUPER active again and chases the food throughout the tank. She loves to swim close to my Goby now, too - I think she's a bit lonely and looking for companionship? Unfortunately, the Goby isn't a huge fan and will sometimes threaten the Clown and "dodge" at her.. poor girl, she just wants a friend..

Today we headed to a small "frag show" at one of my favorite LFS's. It was pretty neat but nothing I was really looking for. I'm always looking out for new unique Acans or possibly Ricordia's - there was on very vibrant green one, but it was very small and too pricy for me to invest in right now. My other LFS has somewhat gone to sh*t lately though, the frag tank is covered in a brown hair type of algae and it's all over the frags and the plugs - not another problem I'd like to add to my tank, haha.

Anyways here's a few shots. Like I said I've been feeding fairly generously lately - everything seems to be VERY happy with it. Was spot feeding the acans and the torch coral all week and it sure shows from when I was away on vacation and my parents were just dropping pellets in for the fish.

FAT Acans!! The torch is getting pretty close to them and I'm sure has touched them at times but they aren't reacting negatively at this time. Might have to move one of the Acans if they don't like it..

15169532471_431b27b729_c.jpgIMG_4340 by kijho6, on Flickr

My female clown. She's been showing more energy these past few days, very pleased. Eats lots!

15149504376_10efdf3918_c.jpgIMG_4303 by kijho6, on Flickr

My hammer coral - it's still hanging in there! No idea what's bothering it though and why it hasn't opened all week. But, there's no jelly and it smells fine..

14985803419_53d9929590_c.jpgIMG_4336 by kijho6, on Flickr

Ricordia garden, don't mind the aiptasia invasion. The struggle is real, and constant with it...

14985953388_894b6c4111_c.jpgIMG_4345 by kijho6, on Flickr

Closeup of a yuma

15172152892_817c0f6e87_c.jpgIMG_4355 by kijho6, on Flickr

:)

NorthGaHillbilly

Day 152:

Well, I began feeding mysis and blood worms somewhat generously lately. My Clown has become SUPER active again and chases the food throughout the tank. She loves to swim close to my Goby now, too - I think she's a bit lonely and looking for companionship? Unfortunately, the Goby isn't a huge fan and will sometimes threaten the Clown and "dodge" at her.. poor girl, she just wants a friend..

Today we headed to a small "frag show" at one of my favorite LFS's. It was pretty neat but nothing I was really looking for. I'm always looking out for new unique Acans or possibly Ricordia's - there was on very vibrant green one, but it was very small and too pricy for me to invest in right now. My other LFS has somewhat gone to sh*t lately though, the frag tank is covered in a brown hair type of algae and it's all over the frags and the plugs - not another problem I'd like to add to my tank, haha.

Anyways here's a few shots. Like I said I've been feeding fairly generously lately - everything seems to be VERY happy with it. Was spot feeding the acans and the torch coral all week and it sure shows from when I was away on vacation and my parents were just dropping pellets in for the fish.

FAT Acans!! The hammer is becoming VERY close to them and I'm sure has touched them at times but they aren't reacting negatively at this time. Might have to move one of the Acans if they don't like it..

15169532471_431b27b729_c.jpgIMG_4340 by kijho6, on Flickr

My female clown. She's been showing more energy these past few days, very pleased. Eats lots!

15149504376_10efdf3918_c.jpgIMG_4303 by kijho6, on Flickr

My hammer coral - it's still hanging in there! No idea what's bothering it though and why it hasn't opened all week. But, there's no jelly and it smells fine..

14985803419_53d9929590_c.jpgIMG_4336 by kijho6, on Flickr

Ricordia garden, don't mind the aiptasia invasion. The struggle is real, and constant with it...

14985953388_894b6c4111_c.jpgIMG_4345 by kijho6, on Flickr

Closeup of a yuma

15172152892_817c0f6e87_c.jpgIMG_4355 by kijho6, on Flickr

:)

Im glad its looking like things are turning around, keep it up man, itll turn atound. The hammer looks better than it did a week ago, some times it can take months to bring one back. I had two chalices go totally bleached, you could see the food inside of them when they ate, now there both colored up better than ever and putting on a growth spurt, but it took 3 months.

Archived