Top Shelf Aquatics

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

nope, I tried with the heater sitting in there for 2 days and the temp wouldn't come near the tank temp. So I went to the LFS asking about better heaters and he told me I was over thinking things and that if I'm only doing say a 20% water change I shouldn't need to heat it and he gave a convincing opinion about how they handle it in the ocean when it rains and storms and the temp drops. I do the change now without heating it, the tank heater gets the temp up in a short time (maybe up to a couple of hours) a lot shorter than heating the bucket have no idea why though. He said if I was doing a bigger WC that I would need to heat it obviously.

Haven't had any problems yet but then it's only been running for nearly 4 months, so I guess time will tell.

That is an interesting notion. I guess that theory is correct in nature where rain would have a cooling effect but it would be a mere fraction of a degree if that in the scheme of things. But on say a 10G tank doing a 25-50% weekly water change that could be detrimental to coral and fish health, not to mention case lots of stress to inverts which are incredibly sensitive to change. The key to the heaters that are used in aquariums is that they are next to useless without water flow, if you leave one in a bucket of water for a few days without a small pump for circulation there is no way it will hit temp. Judging by how you described how you mix your salt I would put money on why you saw a much slower heating time to the heater in your tank. Looking at your sig it looks like you mostly have softies so as Tambarev stated above they would be less sensitive to this kind of change, LPS and SPS would not take to kindly to the change at all. I typically heat water overnight with circulation before adding salt and waiting an hour for the water to clear, I notice coral agitation unless my mix temp is within 1 or 2 degrees of the tank temp and that is with doing 25% change on 30G.

It doesn't look like Tropi has sensitive corals. I personally would not risk that in a SPS dominated tank. If the LFS didn't ask what your livestock was then he needs to be slapped.

Looks that way and yes I agree.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mainly softies yes but I've got a few LPS (hammer, torch, helio and pagoda cup) also a BTA.

The tanks still new so I don't know what the long term effects would be of doing it that way, Thank you for the pump tip though, I'll get a pump and try heating the water again to see if it works better, I would stir it occassionally but that wouldn't really do the job like a pump :)

The LFS knows what most of my corals are except for a few but then there are some things that he says that I don't agree with either, so will definately try the pump and heater with my next WC.

Mainly softies yes but I've got a few LPS (hammer, torch, helio and pagoda cup) also a BTA.

The tanks still new so I don't know what the long term effects would be of doing it that way, Thank you for the pump tip though, I'll get a pump and try heating the water again to see if it works better, I would stir it occassionally but that wouldn't really do the job like a pump :)

The LFS knows what most of my corals are except for a few but then there are some things that he says that I don't agree with either, so will definately try the pump and heater with my next WC.

Give it a shot, doesn't have to be a strong pump, just enough to get the water moving over the salt and around the heater.

14736170256_e4ca226867_c.jpgIMG_2490 by kijho6, on Flickr

14779049923_2ff7b6657e_c.jpgIMG_2491 by kijho6, on Flickr

Wow ~ thanks for two pages worth of feedback on this guys. Reading some suggestions regarding this being "flukes" - I agree. It does look very very similar to the picture someone posted on the previous page. Also based on the description on the page ninjamyst posted. This looks like it might be a bit easier to rid of than ich might have been?

Going to pick up a tank and a cheap powerhead tonight. (Will find something cheap, and just fill it with maybe 5 gals) and put my fish in. Hopefully I can set it up behind my DT possibly... Also might need to pick up a heater but we'll see.. (I have a spare heater I use for WC's but it has no thermometer or temp. indicator. It'a pretty crappy.)

Will prazi them and see how it goes for 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone

Gonna be impossible to get my Goby out lol ... he can literally go beneath the rock and sand and I'm so fearful of him jumping like my last one :(

Gonna be impossible to get my Goby out lol ... he can literally go beneath the rock and sand and I'm so fearful of him jumping like my last one :(

Make a fish trap with food in it maybe?

Oh, I wasn't thinking he would jump - more so the opposite haha. He'll never come out to catch him!!

Just came home from the LFS :)

- 6 Gal tank (super basic)

- Air pump & stone with a check valve (the LFS actually recommended this over a $40 powerhead for this 6G. I did a quick google search on my phone while in the LFS to see if this is a good idea or bad idea and came ac cross some good threads stating it was a good idea for QT's actually!)

- Cheaper thermometer

I'm going to use my old heater which doesn't have a thermometer but I'll watch it closely.

I also picked up the 'Prazipro' medication. The LFS girl told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a drop or two to my main tank aswell to help kill of any fluke in the system to help speed things up. Not sure if this is a good idea or bad, apparently it's fully reef safe though?

The cashier was a super b*tch at the checkout. She called "next person in line" and there was a person ahead of me but they waved me to go, I presume they didn't have everything ready so I passed them and set my stuff on the counter. The girl says to me "Um, were YOU the next person in line?" I'm like "No, but they waved me on - is there a problem?" and she replies "No. I guess not." SUPER rudely. Then she forgets the ring up the Prazi and I'm just sitting there grinning hahahaha KARMA. Negative people .. negative people..

I'll be trying to set this up tonight :)

Oh, I wasn't thinking he would jump - more so the opposite haha. He'll never come out to catch him!!

Just came home from the LFS :)

- 6 Gal tank (super basic)

- Air pump & stone with a check valve (the LFS actually recommended this over a $40 powerhead for this 6G. I did a quick google search on my phone while in the LFS to see if this is a good idea or bad idea and came ac cross some good threads stating it was a good idea for QT's actually!)

- Cheaper thermometer

I'm going to use my old heater which doesn't have a thermometer but I'll watch it closely.

I also picked up the 'Prazipro' medication. The LFS girl told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a drop or two to my main tank aswell to help kill of any fluke in the system to help speed things up. Not sure if this is a good idea or bad, apparently it's fully reef safe though?

The cashier was a super b*tch at the checkout. She called "next person in line" and there was a person ahead of me but they waved me to go, I presume they didn't have everything ready so I passed them and set my stuff on the counter. The girl says to me "Um, were YOU the next person in line?" I'm like "No, but they waved me on - is there a problem?" and she replies "No. I guess not." SUPER rudely. Then she forgets the ring up the Prazi and I'm just sitting there grinning hahahaha KARMA. Negative people .. negative people..

I'll be trying to set this up tonight :)

Its not fully reef safe. It is reef safe with caution. A drop or 2 won't do it. Either dose the whole tank as directed or don't. Using less just opens up avenues for parasites to become resistant.

No need for a QT if you dose the tank. I have dosed my tank before with no casualties. If you don't want to catch the goby just dose the tank and cross your fingers and return the QT stuff.

Consider yourself lucky! Flukes are easy to treat and not as deadly. If it was ich, you would be tearing your tank apart to get that goby and then leaving it empty for 8 weeks :o

Its not fully reef safe. It is reef safe with caution. A drop or 2 won't do it. Either dose the whole tank as directed or don't. Using less just opens up avenues for parasites to become resistant.

No need for a QT if you dose the tank. I have dosed my tank before with no casualties. If you don't want to catch the goby just dose the tank and cross your fingers and return the QT stuff.

Consider yourself lucky! Flukes are easy to treat and not as deadly. If it was ich, you would be tearing your tank apart to get that goby and then leaving it empty for 8 weeks :o

So, you think I should Dose the entire tank for flukes?

It's 1 tbl spoon for 20Gallons. I have 5 Gallon haha, so 2 drops a day? ...

Then keep up with regular twice a week 20% WC's ??

I'll return this stuff then possibly?

So, you think I should Dose the entire tank for flukes?

It's 1 tbl spoon for 20Gallons. I have 5 Gallon haha, so 2 drops a day? ...

Then keep up with regular twice a week 20% WC's ??

I'll return this stuff then possibly?

Do a large water change, turn off skimmer if you have one cuz it will go nuts. Also remove activated carbon/UV sterilization.

1/4 TEASPOON (its 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons, not 1 tablespoon) and leave it 5-7 days is what the instructions say I believe. You don't re-dose every day.

Large water change after 5-7 days. Add carbon back.

Wait 3 days, re-treat if necessary.

It pissed my mushrooms off horribly. I hear xenia's and certain leathers can be affected by it and designer worms. It didn't even kill my bristle worms or feather dusters so don't know how true that is.

Don't overdose.

Google will show you others have put this directly in their reef without problems. Use at your own risk.

"CONTRAINDICATIONS: There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro except for use in marine (saltwater) systems where flatworms of the Polycladida order are being cultured."

Do a large water change, turn off skimmer if you have one cuz it will go nuts. Also remove activated carbon/UV sterilization.

1/4 TEASPOON (its 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons, not 1 tablespoon) and leave it 5-7 days is what the instructions say I believe. You don't re-dose every day.

Large water change after 5-7 days. Add carbon back.

Wait 3 days, re-treat if necessary.

It pissed my mushrooms off horribly. I hear xenia's and certain leathers can be affected by it and designer worms. It didn't even kill my bristle worms or feather dusters so don't know how true that is.

Don't overdose.

Google will show you others have put this directly in their reef without problems. Use at your own risk.

"CONTRAINDICATIONS: There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro except for use in marine (saltwater) systems where flatworms of the Polycladida order are being cultured."

Hmm.. 1/4 Tsp. Sorry, I meant that haha...

Read through this: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067&page=27

Seems pretty common.

Should I be removing purigen/ CPE?

Okay!!

1/4 tsp of Prazipro going into the tank. (Keeping the QT as backup, but will return in 14 days if not needed.)

Glad this is much (seemingly) easier than... worse things. (Let's not say and jinx. *Knocking on wood now*)

good info on flukes in case I run into this problem in the future. Seems to be easier to treat than ich. Good luck with your treatment! I hope they make it, keep us posted.

Did about 1/4 tsp of Prazi in the tank (less than what you see in the syringe..)

Clowns are breathing / swimming / eating normally this evening. Next dose in 5 days if I don't see too much improvement.

10552360_10152590511375309_6712874790203

Then snapped this shot afterwards. At least this lil' guy's doing alright:

https://flic.kr/p/ox8GuK'>14792162283_7c41733ffa_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/ox8GuK'>IMG_2483 by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>kijho6, on Flickr

Will keep you posted. Can't believe how cheap I paid for the 6 Gal tank.. honestly will find a 20 Gal someday there haha.

Everything you're doing sounds good, but I wanted to warn you about one thing..

I tried using an airstone in my tank once for another reason and the salt spray caused by the escaping bubbles went everywhere causing massive salt deposits all over my tank and the surrounding equipment. You dont realize it's happening right away but it makes a mess.

AVIATOR300

Cameron6796

Very happy for you and sending good wishes. Definetly good you can ignore the nightmare of tearing up tank to get goby out. Hope your stressed hammer isn't worsened keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the support and hope guys ~ Checked this morning and they were resting/ sleeping in their usual spot, I noticed a VERY VERY slight improvement, it almost looked like the "smaller" flukes were gone, but the "bigger" ones still there.

I'm hopeful this medicine helps them. They were fine/ happy/ eating/ swimming all over last night. So sad if they don't make it but I'm staying very optimistic at this point.

Flukes are not quick killers, if they are eating, then they are fine....and prazipro certainly can't harm fish unless you dumped the whole bottle in maybe. So rest easy :)

Flukes are pretty much like a dog having worms. lol Not lethal unless in large numbers and easy to treat. When you see flukes... its... OH THANK GOT ITS ONLY FLUKES!

Ich, velvet, and especially brook are nightmares though. Brook can wipe out as tank overnight.

I love that hermit crab pic :wub:

Ich, velvet, and especially brook are nightmares though. Brook can wipe out as tank overnight.

I can vouch for this, Brook killed my clown in about 18 hours after showing signs. I believe it to be more brutal than ich any day of the week.

Well with the lights on this evening - no major signs of improvement :(

They went crazy for their pellet though as usual haha...

Params are all good right now, temp sitting at 77.5*F and SG is 1.025.

Cameron6796

You may not see improvement every day as there are different life cycle I assume so the little ones will go first and then the bigger will cave eventually. Its a slow killer according to above so it shouldn't be a problem. Ich is bad yesterday I was at my lfs and they had a tank of freshwater sharks with it that seemed alright other then visible ich... now they have a new shipment of them on display in the previously affected tank... They are gone i assume.

Also if they are happy active and eating they are most likely no where near sudden death and the medicine will only help. Do you have plans to remove them from your tank soon due to size, they really are quite cramped and that may be what caused them to succumb to the flukes.

Are you sure you dosed enough? I just treated 2 fish I got for petco that were covered in flukes and it definitely worked.

Post some more pics in case they have more than 1 thing going on. Sometimes flukes cause secondary infections, ect.

Archived