Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Day 152:

Well, I began feeding mysis and blood worms somewhat generously lately. My Clown has become SUPER active again and chases the food throughout the tank. She loves to swim close to my Goby now, too - I think she's a bit lonely and looking for companionship? Unfortunately, the Goby isn't a huge fan and will sometimes threaten the Clown and "dodge" at her.. poor girl, she just wants a friend..

Today we headed to a small "frag show" at one of my favorite LFS's. It was pretty neat but nothing I was really looking for. I'm always looking out for new unique Acans or possibly Ricordia's - there was on very vibrant green one, but it was very small and too pricy for me to invest in right now. My other LFS has somewhat gone to sh*t lately though, the frag tank is covered in a brown hair type of algae and it's all over the frags and the plugs - not another problem I'd like to add to my tank, haha.

Anyways here's a few shots. Like I said I've been feeding fairly generously lately - everything seems to be VERY happy with it. Was spot feeding the acans and the torch coral all week and it sure shows from when I was away on vacation and my parents were just dropping pellets in for the fish.

FAT Acans!! The torch is getting pretty close to them and I'm sure has touched them at times but they aren't reacting negatively at this time. Might have to move one of the Acans if they don't like it..

15169532471_431b27b729_c.jpgIMG_4340 by kijho6, on Flickr

My female clown. She's been showing more energy these past few days, very pleased. Eats lots!

15149504376_10efdf3918_c.jpgIMG_4303 by kijho6, on Flickr

My hammer coral - it's still hanging in there! No idea what's bothering it though and why it hasn't opened all week. But, there's no jelly and it smells fine..

14985803419_53d9929590_c.jpgIMG_4336 by kijho6, on Flickr

Ricordia garden, don't mind the aiptasia invasion. The struggle is real, and constant with it...

14985953388_894b6c4111_c.jpgIMG_4345 by kijho6, on Flickr

Closeup of a yuma

15172152892_817c0f6e87_c.jpgIMG_4355 by kijho6, on Flickr

Thanks so much NorthGA!! :)

Here's a video to accompany the photos from today!!

I forgot to mention, my clownfish was completely okay!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved my hammer up (closer to light) and where I think there is slightly less flow. Looking a little bigger each day!

Have you tried moving it around?

I'm glad your clown is doing better, everything is looking great. I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with any aiptasia for a fair while now, I haven't seen any since I added my peppermint.

Hammer looks a wee bit better. I don't want to worry you more but is your shrimp goby pai always digging like non stop? The sand you have is very fine and it may be causing their home gradually and constantly deteriorate. You can get some crush coral and shells for them to build into it

Hammer looks a wee bit better. I don't want to worry you more but is your shrimp goby pai always digging like non stop? The sand you have is very fine and it may be causing their home gradually and constantly deteriorate. You can get some crush coral and shells for them to build into it

I've actually crushed about 5 or 6 shells and have them in the tank - the shrimp has found and used pretty much every piece he could find to support his burrows. They've actually been in that portion of my tank for the past two months now. Occasionally he'll come out and dig around the sand in search perhaps of food scraps - but generally he leaves things alone. The left side of my tank seems to "blow" over to the middle I believe due to the 240 power-head. No big deal though for me!

Everything just seems to me thriving today!! The clown has actually significantly improved since the last photos of her, she has very few "spots" on her and the formation around the mouth has subsided greatly. She's SUPER energetic and was darting around everywhere for food this evening. So please. Will post some nice photos tomorrow :)

Kijho what power head is in your spec v? I'm looking for one for mine because I kept the stock pump but I don't want anything too strong.

Hydor Koralia 240gph

Day 159:

It's been a fairly busy weekend for me. I literally haven't done a WC in my tank now in 2 weeks. Oddly enough - things are doing better than they ever have been. I'm very pleased to announce that my female clownfish has made amazing improvement in the quality of her health over the past week. She is extremely energetic, agile, and eats SO much. She's going to become plump quick if I don't cut her diet back just slightly. Currently she's on the micro garlic pellets and mysis - she's come to love mysis. I have to feed her mysis before I can feed my acans and torch.... or else she'll steal it..

Well, enough words and on with the pictures!

15056197087_a5fe38e323_c.jpgIMG_4477 by kijho6, on Flickr

The shimp has actually moved the entire rock with this small ricordia on it to make it the "entry" point to his burrow. I actually really like it there so I've left it for the past few weeks. The ricordia seems very happy too...

15056202318_5a94c5d77e_c.jpgIMG_4488 by kijho6, on Flickr

Zoa's fell were knocked into the sand by the crab. Haven't moved them back up to the rock but they're doing good down in the sand anyways haha...

15242380102_a2f8c7e450_c.jpgIMG_4489 by kijho6, on Flickr

You can see the Zoa's in the back. Hammer is improving!!! So pleased, can't wait to see this in a few months hopefully become massive again. Love that I fragged it too.. if both frags get nice and big my tank is going to be full haha...

15239682911_b4f79d7d9c_c.jpgIMG_4468 by kijho6, on Flickr

Best part of my week? My clownfish is doing amazing!

15056209588_2d06c7fa79_c.jpgIMG_4445 by kijho6, on Flickr

15056209858_aeabff3f58_c.jpgIMG_4441 by kijho6, on Flickr

As you can see, both sides - not a single speck !!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Just going to toss these here too! They're a tad long, but this is how I spent my Saturday afternoon and wanted to share. Funny enough, we were hammered with 20cm of snow two days prior, on Sept 10th.

10636134_10152704367610309_1993939811212

Hey,

Does your goby ever challenge your clown? My goby loves to chase my clown to the top of the tank. The goby opens his mouth and puffs his head up 2-3x normal size then moves after the clown. The clown does that little clown waggle dance but otherwise doesn't seem to be that scared. Its pretty funny.

Hey,

Does your goby ever challenge your clown? My goby loves to chase my clown to the top of the tank. The goby opens his mouth and puffs his head up 2-3x normal size then moves after the clown. The clown does that little clown waggle dance but otherwise doesn't seem to be that scared. Its pretty funny.

Oh yes, I've been planning to go into this topic eventually. I wanted to capture it on video, which is fairly simple as it's now become very common.

I believe because my male clown passed away, the female is lonely at times perhaps looking for a companion. She often wanders over to the entrance of the Goby/ Shrimp's cave and will sit there waiting. It becomes very immediate if I feed, as the food sometimes collects in the sand near the cave entrance. If the clown gets too close to my goby - the goby will "go after" her, but she's way too fast hahaha... It's also very evident if the shrimp is out. I think the goby is protective and defensive of the cave and the shrimp, and food. Poor clown, she just wants a friend... it's funny to watch though and I'm not very worried about it because she's really fast.

time to find her a new friend =). are you planning on another clown or something else?

Perhaps!! I might give it some time still to fully recover and for my tank to just really thrive in the coming weeks hopefully.

Still haven't done any WC's. Figure I should do one this week sometime...

I'd possibly be looking at a very small regular style clownfish (full orange color) or perhaps if I can find one, I'd really love a barnacle blenny. Wouldn't but much of a "companion" for the clown though as they - well - stay in the "barnacles" (or crevices) of rocks most of the time..

Any other suggestions on a good friend for a clownfish?

Tanks looking real nice! How much water do you do for a water change and how often?

Thank you :)

Usually 20 - 30% WC's, I was doing them weekly. However, I found my all of my parameters were coming in at absolutely 0ppm's for everything. I stopped WC's for the past two weeks, started feeding more mysis (essentially creating more nitrates) and EVERYTHING has just become so vibrant and plump....

Going to do a WC probably this week just for good practise..

Archived