Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Thanks! Yeah, I ended up in a shit hotel, too. The guys that used to come told me where they USED to stay...apparently it has gone down hill. Intown On St. Johns....blah...oh well. Wish they were open later, wanted to get out tonight...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

You are close to Bio-Reef and Coral Logic.. which are probably the best 2 around.

Yeah, just looked them up. Hopefully I will be off early tommrow and can check them out. Anything fun to do around here? Lol

I'm having a party tonight with lots of strippers and blow. Too bad I didn't know you were coming or I would have invited you.

Steensj2004

I'm having a party tonight with lots of strippers and blow. Too bad I didn't know you were coming or I would have invited you.

Well, blow isn't really my thing....now, if you said crystal meth then we could TALK! But seriously I am,"lose my mind" bored,haha. Trying to find a decent bar....my friend beer never let's me down!

Steensj2004

Gah, need to get home to my tank, going into withdraws. Trying to see if the Boss lady can send some pics of the tank. I would anticipate some Diatoms at this point....Took a trip to Bio-Reef here in Jacksonville yesterday, WOW. This place has the most amazing selection of any LFS I have ever been. I may even grab some stuff to take back before I leave. They have a lot of those Chalice corals that SexyCorals.com is charging 1500.00 an eye for, at about a third of the price. I wanna live in that store......

Found a fish I really want. Anyone know where you can get a Fire Prawn Goby( I think is what it is called)?

Steensj2004

Question. I'm makes a aftermarket set of media baskets for their tanks. They are larger than stock and look to be much nicer. Anyone know how these stand up to the InTank versions. Trying to order from one place if at all possible, obviously I will assume this to be a stupid question.....however if I can save on shipping from two places it would be nice. I would like to order from Marine depot and get my net module and baskets from them if I wouldn't be wasting money....

I was wondering the same thing when I was looking to upgrade the media baskets. I came to the conclusion that inTank is known for their custom baskets, so I went with them. It also helps that Stevie supports NR and is a long-time member! Also, he had one of the best prices on the tunze nano ATO, so I got free shipping when I tossed that in my basket as well. He sells tons of stuff, so mabye you can find something you were planning to get from Marine Depot and get it from inTank instead to get free shipping?

Pro tip: Stevie also makes a refugium media basket, which IM does not do. So, down the road if you want a refugium you may end up buying stuff from Stevie anyways :P

I've ordered several times from Steve and have never been disappointed. His prices are very competitive, whenever I'm in need I usually check his site, more times than not he is the cheapest.

Steensj2004

Right, But these are 60.00 cheaper, and are basically the same thing. I have no plan to run a fuge(as I have mixed feelings on fuges that small)....I know Steve makes great stuff, just have a hard time spending 60.00 more a similar piece of acrylic....

I've ordered several times from Steve and have never been disappointed. His prices are very competitive, whenever I'm in need I usually check his site, more times than not he is the cheapest.

I see a price difference of $21. $20 for IM one, $41 for Stevie one. Either way I see your point. For me it came down to 1) I liked the clear acrylic over the black (silly, I know) and 2) I wanted to support a small business.

Either way, both media baskets are WORLDS apart from the stock ones, those things are TERRIBLE! haha. Good luck with your decision!

Steensj2004

I see a price difference of $21. $20 for IM one, $41 for Stevie one. Either way I see your point. For me it came down to 1) I liked the clear acrylic over the black (silly, I know) and 2) I wanted to support a small business.

Either way, both media baskets are WORLDS apart from the stock ones, those things are TERRIBLE! haha. Good luck with your decision!

I agree, I bought a NanoBox to support small business too(however they are banging lights, so bonus). Looking at a 40.00 savings buying 2 IM baskets as opposed to the ITank ones....sigh.....I donno,lol.

Steensj2004

I am having a hard time deciding on final Filtration, any help would be great.Which combo of the following would you run(or something totally different):

-Intank Media Baskets

-Micro Reactors(could probably swing 2)

-Micro Skimmers(lots of options)

Was considering media baskets, but I really dislike not using media reactors....hmmmmm

I run 1 media basket with filter floss/purigen/chemi-pure elite and a Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer. I also have the refugium but am waiting to put chaeto in, so not really using it right now. I feel like the purigen/chemi-pure eliminate the need for a reactor on a tank this size unless there is a specific need for carbon/GFO when the time comes.

Steensj2004

I run 1 media basket with filter floss/purigen/chemi-pure elite and a Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer. I also have the refugium but am waiting to put chaeto in, so not really using it right now. I feel like the purigen/chemi-pure eliminate the need for a reactor on a tank this size unless there is a specific need for carbon/GFO when the time comes.

Man, I like the idea, however I am unsure that will fit into my 16.....hmmmmm

measuring time!

Steensj2004

It is a very small skimmer. you just need 3" x 3" if I remember correctly.

Site says 3 1/8" square...chamber is barely 3" x 3".... <_<

Steensj2004

I have an Eshoppes Nano PS on my IM16, fits perfect in the 2nd chamber. Eshoppes says it needs 4", but it doesn't.

Really? Even with that pump hanging on the side?! You have some pics of it in your 16 I could see, please?

Steensj2004

I would love to run two micro Reactors and a skimmer in this thing..... If I had my way I would run tow micor reactors in the first chamber(left and right side). Then run a skimmer in chamber 2 while running biopellets in the reactor closest to the skimmer. Then maybe throw some carbon inside the second reactor.....I just cannot get past the way reactors utilize media. I would certainly run into a heat issue with that many pumps running all the time.

I could always run one media basket with CPE/ filter floss/ and Purigen on one side. Then a micro reactor with pellets and a skimmer opposite the media rack.With the MP10 no being inside the tank I would only have 3 small pumps......hmmmmm..lol

I have an Eshoppes Nano PS on my IM16, fits perfect in the 2nd chamber. Eshoppes says it needs 4", but it doesn't.

Steensj2004

You know what, scratch the crazy ideas....going with the combo set of InTank media baskets/ fuge basket, the JBJ Fuge Light, and Chemipure/Purigen/Filterfloss combo. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am a water change freak, so I simply do not have a reason for any reactors and skimmers in a 16 gallon tank. I am the guy that will do a 5-10 gallon weekly water change.....so why bother with crazy complicated filtration. I can have everything(including the filtration media and floss) for like 190.00 from InTank.However,I need someone to tell me what size bags of ChemiPure and Purigen to buy to fin inside the 16 baskets before I order......

Edit- Scratch that, order placed...want it to get here by the time I am back from Ohio. This empty, fully cycled tank thing is getting wicked old. As the build stands here I what is left to arrive:

*NanoBox Duo....Dave,doo-dah, I am DYING here, hahah :lol:

*Net Module

*Wireless Gaming Adapter(to run net module wireless-like, duh)

-InTank Order-

*Nuvo 16 Media Basket Combo

*JBJ Fuge Light

*ChemiPure

*Purigen

Now to decided if I should upgrade the return pump......hmmmmmmm :P. Shoulda added that Cobalt to the InTank order.....heheh

Good call on the media baskets, you'll like them. I have the exact same thing (same fuge light too). My Sicce 1.5 pump is actually coming in the mail today. I'll replace the stock pump when I start getting coral, or it innevitably breaks, whichever comes first :)

I also should be getting my nanobox next week :D

Steensj2004

Good call on the media baskets, you'll like them. I have the exact same thing (same fuge light too). My Sicce 1.5 pump is actually coming in the mail today. I'll replace the stock pump when I start getting coral, or it innevitably breaks, whichever comes first :)

I also should be getting my nanobox next week :D

Mine should also be coming next week. Dave said a week and a half 10 days ago.....yes, I AM counting,hehe :lol: I will surely replace the return pump. I imagine a MJ900 or equivalent is sufficient with an MP10.

Edit:Just checked out that Sicce 1.5, definitely getting one of those. My return pump in my 16 is the ONLY noise maker...apparently(and according to the reviews) those things are whisper quiet. 375gph....what is the stock 16 pump rated at?

I have a Nuvo 30, so the Sicce 1.5 was about 60gph MORE than the stock pump. You may be looking at a smaller Sicce, like .5 or something? Not sure what other models they have. But yes, I've heard they are dead quiet.

Archived