Pod Your Reef

Steensj's IM Nuvo 16( Equilibrium Reached)

Steensj2004

I originally wanted a goby/pistol shrimp but then decided I didn't want a pistol shrimp wrecking my sand bed and rearranging it so decided against it. I am too OCD I guess.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, referring to the earlier conversation of the refugiums, I currently have red gracilaria in my refugium and it's been doing well. I plan on moving it to the display once I get the reactor going. I have GFO and carbon on the way!

Steensj2004

BTW, referring to the earlier conversation of the refugiums, I currently have red gracilaria in my refugium and it's been doing well. I plan on moving it to the display once I get the reactor going. I have GFO and carbon on the way!

Is this for the reactors? Or were you running 2? I forget,lol I am running Chaeto in my Fuge, But I have considered some of that red stuff too. My LFS also has a blue macro that looks like a SPS coral, grows fast and is really nice. Thought about some of that too!

I originally wanted a goby/pistol shrimp but then decided I didn't want a pistol shrimp wrecking my sand bed and rearranging it so decided against it. I am too OCD I guess.

I gotcha, I loved my pair in mt 75 gallon(tiger pistol and yellow watchman). I sat and watched them for hours it seemed like. Definately the most personable, fun pair I ever had in my tank. My pistol only disturbed one portion , so it wasn't to annoying.

I have one reactor. I'm thinking of running both carbon and GFO in it. I bought extra sponges to seperate the media. I'll take my fuge out if I go this route.

Steensj2004

Gotcha. I noticed last night that the sides of my fuge compartment and my chaeto is comepletely SMASHED with Pods....looks like it snowed in there,lol. I have had blooms of pods beore, but this is crazy. No idea wtf is goin on but I hope it continues at least to some degree after the bloom dies a bit. On the other hand my Mandy is happy as heck!

I have one reactor. I'm thinking of running both carbon and GFO in it. I bought extra sponges to seperate the media. I'll take my fuge out if I go this route.

I really wanna run a reactor, but I donno....space is an issue. I may lay the thermometer across the middle chamber and put one in the left chamber,"#2."

I hear you, it's a tough call. I'm still not entirely sure I'll run mine, but I will have the reactor and media I need :P

I wish I had that many pods!! That's awesome.

Steensj2004

Yeah, I have NO idea wtf the deal is. I did start my tank with water from my LFS owner's personal tank(which has been up for years and years). Plus seasoned LR, I added extra pieces I didn't need to seed then removed after I was ready to start stocking. all I know is they are friggin EVERYWHERE. My back divider looks like I rolled it in sand :D . I am sure it is just a huge bloom, hoping It is enough to keep the population rolling for a while.

That would be great if it was self-sufficient and kept your mandy happy!

I'm getting a piece of LR tonight with a purple and green monti on it (and some nice coraline). Going to do bi-weekly scrubbing of the coraline to encourage it to spread. I started with dead rock to avoid pests right off the bat.

Steensj2004

Hoping my LFS orders some more livestock soon, Just got off the phone and hoping he can get me the following:

-Yasha(replacement)/Pistol shrimp Pair

-3-4 more Sexy Shrimp

-Harlequin shrimp( he can provide me with food from a few displays, namely Asterina stars)

When and if he gets that in I will grab some more frags from him as well:

-Purple Hornets

-Asssorted Acans

-Stylophora

-Stawberry shortcake Acro

Steensj2004

I like that stocking list!

totally sitting at my desk watching the clock waiting to go check a few LFS for stuff and then home to mess with my tank.... I have a problem :(

Steensj2004

I mean, I work on military cannons, missile launching systems, and otherwise some of the most impressive weapons our military has to offer.....and still cannot wait to go play with my fish.... :lol:

When you have a job this cool and it still isn't as awesome as you hobby.....well, that's why reefin is so badass!

Steensj2004

Went to the LFS to see Dale.....Bought some stuff :rolleyes: ,lol.

-Blue Staghorn

-Blue and Green Milli

-Grande Paly(not pictured, hasn't opened yet)

-Pink Setosa( REAAAAALLY want some of the ORA Orange Setosa)

-Dragon's Breath Macro

He is doing his livestock order this weekend, Asked for the following:

-Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair

-4 More Sexy Scrimps

-1 Porcelain Crab( If he can get one I told him to only get 2 more sexy shrimps)

:D

Excited! Tank is looking less empty now! I wish I could get some better pictures, a few of these are killer, but I cannot seem to get my Iphone to keep the picture from looking dark? Any suggestions?

post-79843-0-49579300-1395872416_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-05912600-1395872435_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-14097800-1395872447_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-37807700-1395872462_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-75890600-1395872467_thumb.jpeg

Steensj2004

Fellow Nuvo 16 owners, If you are running an MP10 and planning(or already) have heavy SPS stocking, what are you running it on and how high?

Trying to mess with this stupid phone and get some good pics, cannot fo the life of me get anything good... :angry:

post-79843-0-02431300-1395919739_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-44920300-1395919744_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-95113300-1395919747_thumb.jpeg

Steensj2004

I am running my MP at about 50-60%.... I am curious as to the percentage and mode others are running. I wanna run a random mode but can't decide which one. Currently on the yellow one( lagoon) and don't like it. Want to run NE or reef crest but not sure how high I can have power without pulsing water out of my tank lol

When I had a 29 gallon long, I ran it on wave mode and thought it was pretty cool. The longer tanks make wave mode pretty cool, as opposed to my 30 cube where it is kind of lame :P haha.

Give reef crest/wave mode a try abd get a frogspawn or hammer in there so you can see the motion of the water.

Steensj2004

When I had a 29 gallon long, I ran it on wave mode and thought it was pretty cool. The longer tanks make wave mode pretty cool, as opposed to my 30 cube where it is kind of lame :P haha.

Give reef crest/wave mode a try abd get a frogspawn or hammer in there so you can see the motion of the water.

I have a Hammer :lol:. I just know my SPS Loved reef crest in my 75....wanted to give them what they like! I do need a different camera, sigh...but that costs money, which is then less money for more corals and livestock :mellow:

Steensj2004

Anyone running the Nanobox Duo having an issue with your corals. My water chemistry is right on, I feel like I might be pushing too much light. All my coral was under Radions but they were hung high. So even at 100% I am not sure he was getting the same PAR at his corals. This gooseneck is so low I dialed my lights back a bit. Running lights at 130/120 now....

Steensj2004

Right, I turned mine down a hair as mentioned above....will see what happens. I feel some coral was thinking about bleaching out

I am running my MP at about 50-60%.... I am curious as to the percentage and mode others are running. I wanna run a random mode but can't decide which one. Currently on the yellow one( lagoon) and don't like it. Want to run NE or reef crest but not sure how high I can have power without pulsing water out of my tank lol

NE and reef crest at very conservative %25-30. Flow from both returns and mp10 at that level is more then enough for my tank. ymmv

As far as the light intensity is concern, well..... Like wise man once told me, "less is better then too much". So pull back and start at %30 or so and make small increasements weekly or by-weekly by %5 or so. I followed that advice and it seemed to work just fine. Try it. Best of luck.

Steensj2004

NE and reef crest at very conservative %25-30. Flow from both returns and mp10 at that level is more then enough for my tank. ymmv As far as the light intensity is concern, well..... Like wise man once told me, "less is better then too much". So pull back and start at %30 or so and make small increasements weekly or by-weekly by %5 or so. I followed that advice and it seemed to work just fine. Try it. Best of luck.

I have taken your advice, I pulled lights down to 35% and am running Reef Crest mode at about 35%. Corals seem to be loving it. We will see what happens. My Nice Milli frag has lost some color(or tissue) but the polyps are still in the discolored spots. I am guessing bleaching has started. The other corals are doing just fine.

Going to try and get some supplies to make a screen top today. You can get the screen frame,corners, and spline for about 15.00 at Home Depot (I already have a crap-ton of screen from a past project).

Archived