Cultivated Reef

*A change of scape* - Mr. Aqua 6 Long

handzoff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I took my first stab at working with some acrylic and I have to be honest I am feeling a bit discouraged... I feel like it will never turn out good enough to meet my standards. Any tricks I should know about? I should mention I have already abandoned the idea of bending the acrylic. I am trying to get three pieces cut that I can Weld-On together. I want to do an overflow that looks like this.

Change of plans...

After doing some scale tests of my original overflow idea I think I would have to make it bigger to actually be able to get my hand into it to do anything. I also did some "aquascaping" with some crumpled up paper and even at the original size I am thinking that an in tank overflow system to disguise the the pump and heater will be too intrusive to make the aesthetic worth it. In a tank as narrow is the 6.5 long I just can't afford to have that much real estate taken up.

IMG_3724-640x426.jpg

Also in doing some more research into equipment it seems that since my last nano endeavor heaters and pumps have become smaller.

The fact that my initial attempts to cut acrylic didn't go so well didn't help matters either.

The new plan

In an effort to get this tank off the ground i plan to initially go with a small 5.5" 30 - 50 watt heater in the upper right rear corner with a koralia nano 240 next to it. After being inspired and educated by reading about this months TOTM winner trueisb2 the end goal will be to eventually go with lily pipes and an empty(no media) canister filter. I may even run extra live rock in the canister for more bio filtration. Thats it for now. Off to the LFS to see what they have for powerheads and heaters.

Rock Question

Any thoughts on what rock to go with... hand picked reef saver rock from lfs, pukani from brs, pukani/other local specific pacific live rock or hand picked live rock from Florida personally driven up to wisconsin by the lfs owner direct from the water down there to his curing tank up here?

Hand picked reef saver rock from lfs, pukani from brs or hand picked live rock from Florida personally driven up to wisconsin by the lfs owner direct from the water down there to his curing tank up here?

I started with dry rock to save money and personally wish I would have gone with live.

I started with dry rock to save money and personally wish I would have gone with live.

Dry rock is the best!

I have noticed a fair bit of conversation on this topic on the forums and find it very interesting... the last time I setup a nano no one at all was even considering dry rock... Some specific suggestions of type of dry or live rock and why would be great. Thanks!

Got some stuff on the way!

Finnex 50-Watt Hang-On Electronic Controller Aquarium Heater, Titanium Tube, 10 to 20-Gallon

Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump 240 GPH

I got the reef savers dry rock. I like it because its known to be the cleanest and also its pretty cool to say that you are saving a coral reef. Also you get more unique shapes then the regular live rock at most stores.

Nanofreak79

Pukani is nice. I have mostly pukani in my 34. The only suggestion would be to acid wash the rock. There is so much crap stuck In there, that if you don't you'll end up with a hair algae, nutrient/phosphate leaching rock formation. BRS reef saver is cleaner and still great rock IMO.

I got the reef savers dry rock. I like it because its known to be the cleanest and also its pretty cool to say that you are saving a coral reef.

BRS reef saver is cleaner and still great rock IMO.

Is there that much difference between BRS reef saver rock and other mined reef saver rock?

Is there that much difference between BRS reef saver rock and other mined reef saver rock?

nope not really

^besides shape, sizes and maybe how dirty it comes! not much.

and no pests

I got some packages the last few days

Yesterday I got what was going to be my heater...

photo-e1394679621967-640x480.jpg

but when I actually got it out of the package it was decidedly longer than advertised. After taking into account all the rubber and the chord it was more like 7" not the 5.5" I was ordering it for. So based on the fact that I would not be able to use it as I intended do to its size and some research I did post purchase I will be sending this one back and using my old tronic 50w heater until I decide how I want to move forward.

Today I got this little devil and it sure is small.

photo-1-4-e1394679356855-640x480.jpg

photo-4-3-e1394679468327-640x480.jpg

I love it!

Equipment test

Now that I have the few pieces of equipment I plan on starting this tank out with I got it all in some fresh water to give it a little test to make sure it all functions as I intend it to.

photo-1-5-e1394679395900-640x480.jpg

Yep thats it.

IMG_3738-640x426.jpg

Micro bubbles. I think the pump created a little vortex at some point and pulled in some air. I moved it down further in the tank.

IMG_3735-640x426.jpg

This is not the lighting I will be using long term but will be what I start out with. 2 x 18w Current power compacts. I need to get some legs on this baby to get it up above the water more and figure a way to clean up the wires but all in all it will do for now.

...And as for the the old heater... it's been holding steady at 78 degrees +/- .5 degrees :)

Now for Sand and Rocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get your sand and rocks? Looking forward to seeing it :D

Picked up 10lbs of Dry Aragonite from Petco yesterday and will use about half of it and scored some amazing (I think) dry rock from a local reefer that had a bunch of left over "dead rock" from a 120 gallon FOWLR he had setup 3 years ago. Most of the pieces are a bit wide for the narrow tank but there where a couple pieces that worked with no alterations. I will likely take some time to see if i can modify some other pieces to make them more narrow later in the week.

image2-e1396316327305-640x480.jpeg

image-e1396316304855-640x480.jpeg

Picked up 10lbs of Dry Aragonite from Petco yesterday and will use about half of it and scored some amazing (I think) dry rock from a local reefer that had a bunch of left over "dead rock" from a 120 gallon FOWLR he had setup 3 years ago. Most of the pieces are a bit wide for the narrow tank but there where a couple pieces that worked with no alterations. I will likely take some time to see if i can modify some other pieces to make them more narrow later in the week.

image2-e1396316327305-640x480.jpeg

image-e1396316304855-640x480.jpeg

looks nice

I have seen on this site as well as BRS the break down of specifically pukani rock. I have a couple of questions on altering the shape of other reef rock... Is this advisable to get proper sized pieces for small tanks? In general is a chisel and hammer a good way to take apart larger sized pieces? Can I should I saw the bases of pieces to hap them stand more sturdy?

chisel and hammer works fine. I mean you won't always get *exactly* the piece you're aiming for but it should be close enough.

btw.. no more bookshelf? :(

chisel and hammer works fine. I mean you won't always get *exactly* the piece you're aiming for but it should be close enough.

btw.. no more bookshelf? :(

Just wasn't confident in the sturdiness of the shelf... and not sure how best to reinforce it. I am still open to it just not sure how to proceed. I am afraid I'll get it all setup and then find i have to move it and I am not sure that would be so easy. I am still not used to the idea of rimless and it makes me more nervous than moving a rimmed tank for some reason.

looks nice

Looking good man.

:wub:

Maybe move the left rock a bit more to the right, and it'd be perfect.

Great advice!

and thanks... I'm getting excited to pull the trigger and get this puppy wet (I mean beyond the leak test) soon.

I have not even gotten this bad boy up and running yet and I am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to the koralia 425 from the 240 due to the length of the tank... I have a 7.5 bow front I will be setting up for my kids with mainly softies so I would use the 240 for that one if so would need another pump anyway.

Archived