inTank Media Baskets

*A change of scape* - Mr. Aqua 6 Long

handzoff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was chatting with Marine Depot about potential options for lighting my tank and they suggested the Orbit Marine 24"-36" Fixture. I think I might do it! Thoughts?

I have one and its pretty dim as far as LED fixtures go. The blue to white LED ratio is such that the fixture looks too yellow with both channels at 100% IMO. I now use it to light the inside of my stand...

I have one and its pretty dim as far as LED fixtures go. The blue to white LED ratio is such that the fixture looks too yellow with both channels at 100% IMO. I now use it to light the inside of my stand...

Any pics with it on your tank at 100%/100%? I currently have a current usa PC fixture and actually feel the same way about that but was hoping for better here. maybe not?

Any pics with it on your tank at 100%/100%? I currently have a current isa PC fixture and actually feel the same way about that but was hoping for better here. maybe not?

I don't unfortunately. Never thought to because the fixture was so utterly disappointing.

That bad huh?

The actinics used are fairly lack luster; they don't give the pop I expect from blue LED fixtures. The only thing they have going for them is the control/timer for a fixture in their price range.

I'd stay away from it unless all you want is softies in a shallow tank.

Nanofreak79

Got2envy has a video of it on YouTube. Overall she likes it. I Pm'd her about it awhile ago. I'm a t5 guy, but might use it on my new 20 long. I'd talk with her.

Got2envy has a video of it on YouTube. Overall she likes it. I Pm'd her about it awhile ago. I'm a t5 guy, but might use it on my new 20 long. I'd talk with her.

Thanks Nano... I'll do that

Very nice! I almost went with this tank model but instead opted for the 13.3 gallon bow front. The Koralia Nano 425s are slick little powerhouses and I've been very happy with them - my BML 14k LED has not let me down.

Lately I've been considering a second tank and the 12-long like yours is at the top of the list :)

Following.

Very nice! I almost went with this tank model but instead opted for the 13.3 gallon bow front. The Koralia Nano 425s are slick little powerhouses and I've been very happy with them - my BML 14k LED has not let me down.

Lately I've been considering a second tank and the 12-long like yours is at the top of the list :)

Following.

Thanks! This actually the smaller 6.5 gallon bookshelf. I love it and was inspired by all the awesome 12 longs on this forum.

Well after talking with a few folks and much thought I have decided to take the chance (doesn't seem like to big a chance) 24"-36" Orbit Marine fixture by Current USA. I placed my order today with Marine Depot who was absolutely great once again to deal with.. I really can't say enough about the customer service. I think it will be a good and economical way to light this shallow long tank. Thanks to all for the input and help. Can't wait to get it!

Nanofreak79

Very cool. Should be plenty strong enough for such a shallow tank. The additional features of the light are great to. Good choice IMO.

Well it is time for a clean up crew for sure. I am thinking of going with the 5 gallon crew from reef cleaners and adding a few blue leg hermits and maybe the 1 cent Macro algae. It just seems more affordable and less hassle than finding parking downtown at the lfs. :)

Just be prepared to get way more than you order when it comes to snails, I ordered the 5 gallon cuc from them and got close to 75 snails...lol

Got my Current USA Marine Orbit LED today and am blown away... I have never had an LED before so maybe this is normal but it is night and day difference. That said there are a few cosmetic things that I need to see about addressing with the retailer or manufacturer.

I did however want to snap a few pics to illustrate the difference.

The settings are 100% blue and 70% white.

Photos taken with my iPhone.

Zoas Comparison

1. Orbit Marine

photo-52-e1398910586343-1024x621.jpg

2. 18w x 2 50/50 Power Compact

P1040563.png

Full tank shot...

photo-11-e1398910531100-1024x465.jpg

Looking good! How's the controller for that thing? haha

I have no experience with controllers but it seems pretty straight forward... It might be nice if the remote had actual number buttons on it in addition to the other function buttons so you could enter an exact value rather than arrow up and down through the 100 increments for each channel. I would also like to see at minimum a power, up, down, and select buttons right on the controller in the event something happens to the remote. The plastic of the remote and the controller feel a little cheap but it is possible that it feels like this because of how light it is. The build quality is sufficient and in the end really like this product though I did have a couple of cosmetic issues.

1. On the fixture there are a couple of small scratches in the powder coat where the plastic zip ties held the light in the packaging

photo-7-e1398917053685-1024x768.jpg

2. On the controller display there is a small scratch, crack or dirt inside the clear plastic cover plate.

photo-8-e1398917079718-1024x768.jpg

Looks really nice bro. I'm getting the same one for my 20 long.

Nice! Can't wait to see it. I will be interested to see how well it supports normal coral growth and potentially SPS in my shallow tank.

Here is the system.

photo-9-e1398917812227-1024x768.jpg

I took the time a little later this evening to set the white point for my DSLR camera... this is pretty true to life color. Also I really need a magnetic algae scrubber and a clean up crew.

IMG_3930crop-1024x464.jpg

IMG_3924-e1398919867296-1024x821.jpg

Nanofreak79

Nice little mini review. If it were me I'd probably be bothered by the little things you pointed out. I don't think I'd send it back though? Idk. Either way it looks great IMO. For all the bells and whistles you get it can't be beat in it's price range. I wasn't saying send it back p, just wondering if I got mine and it had the same issues what I'd do.

Nice little mini review. If it were me I'd probably be bothered by the little things you pointed out. I don't think I'd send it back though? Idk. Either way it looks great IMO. For all the bells and whistles you get it can't be beat in it's price range. I wasn't saying send it back p, just wondering if I got mine and it had the same issues what I'd do.

yeah... I've been wrestling with what to do because I am a stickler for the small stuff too especially on these small tanks. I'll contact Marine Depot today and see what they recommend as far as handling this. Now that I have it I can't be without it so if I did end up returning it to them or the manufacturer I'd need the new one before I sent this one out.

Are there any real issues with tweaking the aquascape once say a clown fish has been added to a tank?

What about major overhauls like removing ½ the rock and replacing it with about ½ as much dry rock.

Does the cloudiness that ensues after this type of activity cause any harm?

I am thinking about removing the rock on the right side of my tanks and replacing it with a few tiny nubs that trail off to the right side.

Are there any real issues with tweaking the aquascape once say a clown fish has been added to a tank?

What about major overhauls like removing ½ the rock and replacing it with about ½ as much dry rock.

Does the cloudiness that ensues after this type of activity cause any harm?

I am thinking about removing the rock on the right side of my tanks and replacing it with a few tiny nubs that trail off to the right side.

I don't think it be a problem, it you change it up a lot the fish will just establish new territory's. As for the cloudiness I don't think it would hurt unless it was a sand bed that hasn't been stirred up in a really long time but since the tanks so new you should be fine... just my 2cents

kuririn986

Love the tank!!! Your build is very similar to mine. Except I am going bare bottom and running an Aquaclear 30. I am a bit torn on the flow of the tank though, have you found the hydor 425 to be the correct amount of flow? I wasn't sure it if would be too strong compared to the 240. Anyway, love the tank, glad to see the Orbit Marine makes those corals look good!!! :D Those fixtures seem to get a bad rap around here, but I think they suit this style tank very well. Good luck with your build, and I will be following it. I am about a month behind you in my plans to get started.

Nanofreak79

Your rock is very new. Removing the rock to add more new rock would lessen your bacterial colonies. If you haven't already contacted marine depot, here very helpful in handling issues with orders.

Archived