Innovative Marine Aquariums

*A change of scape* - Mr. Aqua 6 Long

handzoff

Love the tank!!! Your build is very similar to mine. Except I am going bare bottom and running an Aquaclear 30. I am a bit torn on the flow of the tank though, have you found the hydor 425 to be the correct amount of flow? I wasn't sure it if would be too strong compared to the 240. Anyway, love the tank, glad to see the Orbit Marine makes those corals look good!!! :D Those fixtures seem to get a bad rap around here, but I think they suit this style tank very well. Good luck with your build, and I will be following it. I am about a month behind you in my plans to get started.

Thanks! I love the 425 in my tank... the 240 just didn't have enough power for the length of the tank. As for the light fixture I think really think it is going to do really well for what I hope to accomplish.

Your rock is very new. Removing the rock to add more new rock would lessen your bacterial colonies. If you haven't already contacted marine depot, here very helpful in handling issues with orders.

Yeah I was wondering about the bacteria impact at this point. I was more thinking of down the road to make room for more frags or to change things up a bit I might redo some things. Thanks for the input.

On another note I stopped at the LFS to get a clean up crew today since the prices ae literally cents different than reef cleaners and I walked out with an extra bag...

Acclimation

photo-10-e1399061134538-640x480.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel<3Nanos

Dang! Love this tank! Mr aquas are my favorite tanks for sure.

Is the tank done with the cycle tho? I thought dry rock take longer to cycle.

Is that a clown I see?

What Nanofreak79 said below...

Good eye!

I picked up an about 1" Sustainable Aquatics Mocha Ocellaris Clown from the LFS. Along with a handful of snails and a hermit.

Dang! Love this tank! Mr aquas are my favorite tanks for sure.

Is the tank done with the cycle tho? I thought dry rock take longer to cycle.

Thanks... the long shallow tank is great... I started with dry rock but seeded it with a few small pieces of rock, water and coralline scrapings from a local guy. I was feeding the tank a bit of fish food too. My Pod population has exploded and the diatoms where brewing so I did a 20% water change. My couple of corals seem happy as do the new inhabitants other than the hermit who I know is in there but will not show his face. He wasn't scooting around at all in the store either but he smalls fine. Maybe he is getting ready to molt or something. The snails are hard at work on the algae and the clown is surfing the 425's current... it blows him around pretty good. I am thinking about unplugging it at night to give him a break. :)

Nice setup. Do you ever get to best fish in Milwaukee? Great place if never been there.

Thank you... I have always liked the longer tanks. It is nice that since my last venture into the reef world that manufacturers have started to provide this sort of aspect ratio if you will in a more compact size.

Best Fish is where I was! :D

Cool cool. They are the best lol. Are you on Wrs ? Or mars?

I have not taken the plunge into becoming a paid member anywhere yet but I do skulk around the wrs forum. :). You?

I'm on there lol. It can be bit off there but worth being around I think.

I have met a few people that live very close to me on there so that is nice and it is a great place to find coral to buy and trade for sure.

Pretty sure I have Bryopsis... :( not excited. I think I will kill my lights for a few days. It looks like maybe my water change Monday may have started to know some of it out... I am noticing some whitening of the filaments. From what I have read it does not seem like this will just run it's course even in a new tank. It sounds like i might need to get crazy. I am not sure I am ready to get crazy.

Nanofreak79

I pave also used tech m. Or get rid of the rock, IMO. No need to start off with this crap.

Get some kent m and raise mag up and watch it go away. Lights out won't get rid of.

That is what I have been reading but I was just not too excited to start adding chemicals to this tank... especially so early. Gotta do what I gotta do I guess.

I pave also used tech m. Or get rid of the rock, IMO. No need to start off with this crap.

It is on every rock and the glass too. I didn't realize what it could be until last night when I got curious and started using the good old inter-webs to look around. I figured it was hair algae of some time and would clear up.

Are there any consequences to using kent tech m as far as effecting livestock?

raise it slowly, no more than 100ppm a day then hold it at 1800 for at least 2 weeks then let it slowly come down on its own. Itll be gone in no time.

raise it slowly, no more than 100ppm a day then hold it at 1800 for at least 2 weeks then let it slowly come down on its own. Itll be gone in no time.

The question then is how long till it comes back? Will I ever be done with it... I guess we will find out.

I imagine I will need a test kit for the magnesium... any suggestions on a good one?

I just battled this and tech m killed all of it with in a week, turned my green milli brown but it has colored back up. Its been about 2 months now and its showing signs of life again. I plan to do another treatment and see how it goes this time around. Damn frag plugs! My advice is to remove any plugs from new coral frags and mount them on a piece of rubble or new plug before placing in tank after a dip of course.

The question then is how long till it comes back? Will I ever be done with it... I guess we will find out. I imagine I will need a test kit for the magnesium... any suggestions on a good one?
Yes you'll def need a test kit before dosing tech m, I like Salifert very easy and accurate. I had to do the same thing in a new cube. Its now been almost a year and it never came back. If done correctly, tech m should get rid of it unless you reintroduce it into the tank again.

I just battled this and tech m killed all of it with in a week, turned my green milli brown but it has colored back up. Its been about 2 months now and its showing signs of life again. I plan to do another treatment and see how it goes this time around. Damn frag plugs! My advice is to remove any plugs from new coral frags and mount them on a piece of rubble or new plug before placing in tank after a dip of course.
I always use this practice now if possible and I QT everything....

depending on how bad it is it may take 2 rounds of tech m, but the main thing is to make sure your Mg levels stay above 1800 and do not drop below that. Observe after 2 weeks and if it still shows signs of it then just do an additional week. In my experience, it had no impact on any of my corals, inverts or fish at all. Just raise it slow and when your finished, lower it slowly making sure during water changes you dont drop the Mg levels too quick. You have a small tank so any changes too fast could have a greater impact

Just a quick update... I am no longer sure it is bryopsis... maybe it's derbesia tenuissima. I am not positive but I think my trochus snail may be eating it or thinning it out on one of my rocks. He has been munching around that one rock since last night and it looks a bit thinner and in some place (it's hard to remember how much was there) it appears to be gone. Maybe I am too optimistic.

I think I will give a couple of small Mexican Turbos a try. I have a friend with a 180 gallon tank that can take them when I am out of algae or it doesn't work.

Well, as sure as I was yesterday of imminent doom... I am almost as sure today that things will get better soon. I just witnessed my Trochus snail mow done and eat the algae I have been so worried about. He continues to work and work. I think I will pick up one more to give him some help and do a 50% water change on Sunday as well as clean all the detritus out of the algae and powerhead.

I am also noticing what appears to be some green coralline algae beginning to grow. :)

Archived