Cultivated Reef

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

Tanks coming along splendidly the coris wrasse is a knock out!

Thanks HOT WATER, so glad I picked him up. So much personality and the bright yellow coloration can only be rivaled by the yellow tang.

Thanks HOT WATER, so glad I picked him up. So much personality and the bright yellow coloration can only be rivaled by the yellow tang.

The yellow tang is a beaut for sure, have you seen any aggression with your gramma and the coris?

Hey Dan,

try a different birdsnest coral, those pink ones are sloooooow but the fact you kept it alive and pink is a good thing. :) Just trying to spread the SPS addiction.

• Like 1
The yellow tang is a beaut for sure, have you seen any aggression with your gramma and the coris?

I only noticed a small amount of aggression with the royal gramma towards the coris the day after having added the royal gramma. The royal was the last fish I added since I've heard they can get tempermental. Being he was last he found a nice cave that he claims for himself. The Yellow coris is a little larger as well so that may be another reason why they are behaving. So far I havent seen any aggression between all five fish. I'm done with fish stocking and they all have their own niches or areas of the tank they call home which I think keeps aggression down.

My clowns are aggressive towards my hands...lol. The female b/w clown nips me whenever I try to stick my hand in for anything including adding frags. She hits pretty hard and almost always startles me, I usually stick a net in the tank when I have to glue a frag to keep her from attacking me. :-/

Hey Dan,

try a different birdsnest coral, those pink ones are sloooooow but the fact you kept it alive and pink is a good thing. :) Just trying to spread the SPS addiction.

Lol, I think I just might. I love the look of a nice healthy sps, I just haven't had much luck so far.

I went to RAP this weekend, this event never fails to disappoint. Tons of frags and vendors with freebies. JBJ rattling off prizes. I won a free gravel vac and got hooked up with some other things.

I picked up a green torch with three heads for $10 and a neon green leather, I still need to id it. I'll post up pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great build! I'm also in the process of the same build with a diy stand I love the jbj looks so much better then the popular Im series. The dimensions are deft a lot nicer the lids are my only complaint. But I had a question I have the same ligt and tank and what are your settings at for the light % and how long a day? I was gonna start at 40% peek for 2 hours on a 8 hour light day.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

FTS 10-17-2014

DSC02701.jpg?t=1413437949

FTS 09-30-2014

DSC02459.jpg?t=1412109448

FTS 06-05-2014

DSC02239.JPG

A quick background about me starting the hobby. In 2012 I began my first SW tank an 8 gallon Aqueon Evolve after having owned several Freshwater tanks for several years. The inspiration followed our family trip to Hawaii where I spent almost all of my time in the water. Needless to say I became addicted to the hobby and love keeping the SW tank. I really enjoyed the simplicity of an AIO aquarium and so I decided to purchase the JBJ rimless for both price and style of the tank. I never started a build thread with my small tank so I thought I would start one for the 30 gallon. I ended up purchasing a new JBJ 30 that was on display out of the box at my LFS and bought it for $212 with tax! Awesome deal! Here is a quick list of my build some are purchased while others are on the shopping list.

JBJ 30 Gallon Nano Cube RL Series

Dimensions: 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60 cm x 50 cm x 42cm )

Filtration:

Acrylic Filter Wall w/ Dual Overflows

Dual return Nozzles

Designated Heater Column

Designated Refugium Column

The Stand

Custom Built Stand 25"W x 21"D x 38" H

Current Equipment

Lighting- Maxspect Razor R420r Nano 60W

Heater- Eheim Jager 100W

Jaebo a3500 660 gph return pump (added "Y" fitting)

WP-10 Wave Pump and Hydor Koralia 240 Wave Pump

PLS-50 Cadlights Protein Skimmer

DIY Custom Acrylic media rack

JBJ Auto Top Off

IM Skkye Light 8W for Refugium

Future Equipment

Reef Controller

Jebao RW-4

Tank Contents

Carib Sea Aragonite Sand 30lbs

5lbs crushed coral

25 lbs live rock

Fish

Ocellaris Clownfish

B/W Ocellaris Clownfish

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Royal Gramma

Firefish Goby

Potters Angel ICH

Six Line Wrasse Rehomed Bully

Bi-color Dottyback ICH

Inverts

2 Green Maxi Mini Carpet Anenome

2 Electric Blue Hermit

4 Scarlet Red Hermits

2 Reef Hermits

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Various Snails, Ceriths, Astrea, Trochus, and Nasarius

Corals

1 branching Purple/Green Hammer Coral (3 heads)

1 branching Hammer 2 heads1 Duncan Coral (6 heads)

1 green Torch Coral (3 heads)

1 neon green Nepthea Coral

Mushroom Colony and Misc. colored mushrooms

...Blue, Red, Orange, Green, Superman

2 Florida Ricordeas

Encrusting Green Star Polyps

Pulsing Xenia

Zoas, purple palys, green palys, and whamming water melons

2 Red Montipora (Accidentally fragged itself, sweeet!)

wow looks amazing I also purchased a jbj 30 rl. I was wondering what camera you used? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great build! I'm also in the process of the same build with a diy stand I love the jbj looks so much better then the popular Im series. The dimensions are deft a lot nicer the lids are my only complaint. But I had a question I have the same ligt and tank and what are your settings at for the light % and how long a day? I was gonna start at 40% peek for 2 hours on a 8 hour light day.

Thanks

I'm sorry I haven't responded or checked the site in a while. Just finished some crazy construction at my house and was super busy. I don't have my settings memorized, but I ramp my lights up starting schedule from 7 am to 630pm. This allows more viewing time and a very slow increase in lighat intensity. I tried to imitate the natural sun with the hottest peak or brightest setting around 330pm. At the highest level I have chanel A at 68 and B at 88. Hope this helps.

very motivated by this thread. I just started my JBJ30RL 2 weeks ago.. :)

Congrats, It's a beautiful tank. I feel as though it's classic in style and isn't necessarily trendy.

wow looks amazing I also purchased a jbj 30 rl. I was wondering what camera you used? Thanks

I use a Sony Nex 5N

• 2 weeks later...

My Yellow Coris Wrasse went to heaven... Somehow he squeezed through a tiny gap between my screen mesh top and the glass and went carpet surfing.

I replaced him with another yellow Cori's wrasse however he's the Indonesian species with the silver belly and just isn't the same he's been in hiding for two days now. My other wrasse was very active and rarely hid

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your Coris Wrasse - It was a very good looking fish and I am thinking about getting one for my JBJ 30. I have read thru this thread and I find it very interesting. I have just gotten a JBJ 30 and love it.

Question? How did the Chaeto in the back compartment go? Do you still have it back there? Does it come apart and end up in the middle chamber with the pumps?

Question? Do you still run the Cadlights skimmer? Do you like it? Is it kinda noisy? Does it go haywire and overflow when you dose stuff?

I Don't have a skimmer yet because I am debating on running without to try to keep it as clean looking and simple as possible. If I break down and get a skimmer, this is probably the one I will get (Cadlights) - It's just reading about the noise level, water level, micro bubbles that this thread mentions has me wondering.

• Like 1
famousdan314

Sorry to hear about your Coris Wrasse - It was a very good looking fish and I am thinking about getting one for my JBJ 30. I have read thru this thread and I find it very interesting. I have just gotten a JBJ 30 and love it.

Question? How did the Chaeto in the back compartment go? Do you still have it back there? Does it come apart and end up in the middle chamber with the pumps?

Question? Do you still run the Cadlights skimmer? Do you like it? Is it kinda noisy? Does it go haywire and overflow when you dose stuff?

I Don't have a skimmer yet because I am debating on running without to try to keep it as clean looking and simple as possible. If I break down and get a skimmer, this is probably the one I will get (Cadlights) - It's just reading about the noise level, water level, micro bubbles that this thread mentions has me wondering.

Hey Ede,

Yeah I'm stI'll bummed about my wrasse, I bought another replacement corris wrasse 2 weeks ago and haven't seen it. It's either dead or hiding.

As far as the Chaeto goes I'm still running it in my three stage filter basket I made. I don't have any issues with it getting everywhere. It has close to doubled in size and have it running on an opposite light cycle. I recommend it as its as close to a refugium you can get in these all in one tanks. Helps maintain Ph, keep down nuisance algae and allow for population of pods.

As far as the skimmer goes I did experience a lot of the issues everyone had mentioned. I had a ton of micro bubbles, I contacted cad lights since I live local I went to their warehouse and they replaced the pump with a slightly smaller one, old oump was over skimmin and producing too many bubbles in the display.

I've heard all the issues with the cad lights skimmer was fixed in their newergeneration one

famousdan314

Photo update time!! but first theres been lots of changes since the last photo shoot. The other day I came across a crazy deal and bought a huge colony of green hollywood stunner chalice it was literally almost a foot wide for only 45 bucks. I fragged some nice pieces for myself and some friends and for trading and then took the colony to my LFS for store credit. They gave a crazy good trade in value and I picked up an elegance coral, a white frogspawn, and an acan frag. The elegance coral alone was going for 59.99. Saweet deal!

Anyways, I also got some nice local reefers to trade me some coral for some chalice frags and got some big green leather sinularia frags. really added some nice color to the tank.

Here are the pics from today!

Mr. Gramma! he thinks he's the boss.

DSC02753.jpg

in reality my B/W Clown is the boss!

DSC02754.jpg

My new elegance coral. : )

DSC02769.jpg

Macro shot of my duncan colony still 6 heads, at least its as close as my lens would go.

DSC02770.jpg

Green Sinularia

DSC02774.jpg

Boss lady with some pulsing xenia in the background.

DSC02781.jpg

DSC02789.jpg

Firefish, my kids call him Tiger, dont ask me why.

DSC02791.jpg

FTS

DSC02800.jpg

Top/ Aerial View!! My Favorite!

JBJ30%202015.jpg

• Like 3
famousdan314

So I purchased and installed the cobalt aquatics neo therm 100W heater today to replace the eheim jager. The new heater is super sleek, fits in the heater column much nicer and feels robust and durable opposed to the glass heaters.

One thing I noticed though was how warm my true tank temp was running at. I have an ambent air digital temp thermometer, and a stick on thermometer and they would constantly be contradicting. The neotherm was reading between 82 and 83 which would explain my slow coral growth. The only thing I could think of causing the heat is my return pump.

So I'm going to replace it with the new jebao dc pump which I've heard are quieter and run much cooler since they are drawing less energy.

Here's the link of the one I'm getting, I'm pretty sure it's the new model as I haven't seen it in red.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/161228259502-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

post-80254-0-30593700-1426145859_thumb.jpg