Pod Your Reef

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

Hey Dan, AWESOME TANK! Just wondering if you jbj guys use your glass lids that came with the tank? if so, how often do you clean them?

I'm also an owner of a RL-45. The glass kids stink because they get white with calcium and block a lot of light.

In addition, they prevent gas exchange and oxygenation

I made a mesh lid from a Home Depot screen kit- only $13 rather than the expensive(ish) brs kit

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous tank Dan!

Thank You Leah! I havent checked the website in a couple weeks. Just got back form vacay. Did some diving in aruba, beautiful fish...not too much coral though.

On a bummer note, I lost my firefish goby and my sixline during vacation. I attached an automatic feeder to my tank and set to only feed once a day. My Clown pair and royal gramma must have scared the sixline out of the tank through a tiny lid crevice. (BTW yes I use a cutsom mesh top from home depot. I wished i would have made the screen top fit a little snugger. I have about a 1/4" gap on the sides.) The firefish must have been a victim to bullying. With the sixline out of the equation the firefish was an easy target, I never found a trace of his body so I assume the hermit crabs finished him off. All my coral looked great though, when I got home. Going to try to make it to Reef a Palooza at the Orange County Fair and bring some sweet stuff home.

Making all of us jealous over here! I bet that was a great vacation. Sorry to hear about the fish losses. That's always a bummer loosing livestock. What feeder do you you use btw? I'll be leaving town this weekend and haven't looked into an auto feeder yet. I'm going to try to make it down to oc for reefapalooza as well I went two years ago and it was a blast and picked up a few very nice fairly priced corals.

• 1 month later...

Making all of us jealous over here! I bet that was a great vacation. Sorry to hear about the fish losses. That's always a bummer loosing livestock. What feeder do you you use btw? I'll be leaving town this weekend and haven't looked into an auto feeder yet. I'm going to try to make it down to oc for reefapalooza as well I went two years ago and it was a blast and picked up a few very nice fairly priced corals.

Hey whats up HOTWATER, I haven't visited the site in almost two months. Life has been crazy busy and I have been constantly busy with work and family. Did you end up going to reef a palooza, I was mandated to work that weekend and missed out. Hopefully next year ill be able to attend. I'll definitely try the Marine Aquarium Expo (MAX expo) in the spring time, its at the same location OC fair grounds just slightly smaller than RAP.

Side note, i ended replacing my six line with another six line, and not sure if ill regret this but i picked up a 4 stripe damsel also. Only reason I did this is my clownfish pair are extremely territorial now. I tried to add a long nose hawk fish. They killed him in one DAY! Was so mad, now I have to have a semi-aggressive tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed the video and the FTS. Are the fish all playing nice with each other? Even though you now have a semi aggressive tank you have a nice variety of colors. Everything looks great!

famousdan314

I enjoyed the video and the FTS. Are the fish all playing nice with each other? Even though you now have a semi aggressive tank you have a nice variety of colors. Everything looks great!

Thank you, yes so far everyone is getting along great. I may add a yellow belly blue damsel, I had one a month or two ago and it disappeared without a trace. Maybe it became coral food without me noticing. I do have a relatively large frogspawn.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey whats up HOTWATER, I haven't visited the site in almost two months. Life has been crazy busy and I have been constantly busy with work and family. Did you end up going to reef a palooza, I was mandated to work that weekend and missed out. Hopefully next year ill be able to attend. I'll definitely try the Marine Aquarium Expo (MAX expo) in the spring time, its at the same location OC fair grounds just slightly smaller than RAP.

Side note, i ended replacing my six line with another six line, and not sure if ill regret this but i picked up a 4 stripe damsel also. Only reason I did this is my clownfish pair are extremely territorial now. I tried to add a long nose hawk fish. They killed him in one DAY! Was so mad, now I have to have a semi-aggressive tank.

Ya I hear ya Dan. Life is very busy for all of us with wifey and kiddos. I didn't end up going to RAP unfortunately.. Really have enjoyed your thread since I have the same tank, it's cool to see the progress of others with the same tank. I'm looking into doing the jaebo return pump w the y fitting seems like it has worked out well for you. Last video was he bees knees!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump from the dead. Any updates of this tank? Following your build as I’m starting up the same tank and following the equipment used. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Update on my tank after being away for 4 years...lol. From my previous FTS there was a partial tank crash 3 years ago. I kept the tank going but just recently began adding coral and slowly upgrading equipment over the last year or so. Here are some pics of what the tank currently looks like. I’m debating upgrading to the JBJ 65 flat panel rimless aquarium with a white stand. Will see, I’m expecting my third child this summer so not sure when the upgrade will occur.

A2F17178-BA65-4C7D-BF57-85D6439AF179.jpeg

27A58983-8B5B-4E7B-852F-09AC0D2ABA83.jpeg

4A3761D7-4FDC-44C8-8DF1-DD4B3F3E5D69.jpeg

6327838A-EF64-4AE9-83CD-56FD7BD47FF8.jpeg

478276D8-E2A8-4F7A-B5C1-35DFC5F8D179.jpeg

FAE70000-73F4-4ADE-8852-80040B082CC7.jpeg

64D030FB-7649-42BF-A147-2FF05E1B5E36.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 9:58 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Good to see you @famousdan314! So glad to see this nano reef is still up and running, your collection of leather corals continues to impress! Is the tank officially 6 years old now?

Yes it was, this was my last update. Took the tank down in March of this year. All the live stock and corals were moved over and I started a 65 gallon mixed reef. The build thread is on reef2reef as it doesn’t fit the nano criteria anymore. I’m cycling a 7.4 gallon nano tank right now. It’s a lifeguard aquatics peninsula. 

61ACA509-149D-44E4-A2B9-5697FE1A505E.jpeg

09F3C365-B1B3-4E1A-B274-CE03B0E59D6C.jpeg

0D96BB7D-31FD-49C0-A52A-42B809EB21D1.jpeg

• Like 1