ReefCleaners.org

FamousDan's 30 Gallon JBJ RL- NEW VIDEO

famousdan314

famousdan314
Im thinking of setting up a tank very similar to this (RL30/Nano Razor) have you gotten any par readings or found a thread that has results? My hope is to keep some easier SPS once the tank matures a bit, maybe a red monti cap, pink birds nest, nothing to expensive, but dont want to invest in a light that wont grow them. Tank looks awesome BTW!

Thanks for the compliments!

If you look up the nano RAZR specs on their website the light puts out great PAR readings. I am almost 100% sure you can grow sps with it. Check out Gramophone Feb. Totm, she has a good amount of sps coral and is running a 54W jbj light. I don't even have my light running anywhere close to 100% and all my LPs corals are loving it. At peak light time the white channel runs at 45% and blues at 65%.

Thanks for the quick response I actually flipped through her build thread after posting my question, amazing tank! What made you choose the cad lights skimmer over the 9002/9004 or slim skim?

famousdan314
Thanks for the quick response I actually flipped through her build thread after posting my question, amazing tank! What made you choose the cad lights skimmer over the 9002/9004 or slim skim?

To be honest I visited the cadlights wearhouse here in southern California and got to look at it/play with it prior to purchasing. I liked the small footprint and the simple body turn adjustment to dial in the foaming level. I didn't really try out any other brands such as the tunze however, I read so many good reviews on the pls-50 I decided to just go for it. So far it has been working great, I dumped a half full cup already and the skim is coming out darker. It's very simple to setup, approximately 5 minutes or so and your done.

ReefNoobie21

I have a question on this tank. did you make one or two media baskets? would the middle chamber hold a skimmer or is it best to put it on the overflow chamber?

famousdan314

Fisheeeeees!

Shes starting to eat more and more and caught her snagging a couple of Hikari pellets today. She loves New Era Marine grazer as her main diet and I have been trying to move her over to frozen mysis as well.

I love watching her swim up to my skunk shrimp for the cleaning station!

DSC01937.jpg

This Pair goes everywhere together!

clowns.jpg

• Like 3
famousdan314

I have a question on this tank. did you make one or two media baskets? would the middle chamber hold a skimmer or is it best to put it on the overflow chamber?

I made only one full sized media basket, which I placed on the right overflow compartment, it runs filter floss, coarse sponge, chemipure elite, and ceramic rings.

On the left overflow I have the pls-50 skimmer, I placed a coarse sponge between the skimmer and overflow to catch any large debris before going into the skimmer pump.

I also made a very quick and temporary eggcrate rack that is in the refugium chamber, currently running some filter floss to catch some micro bubbles from the protein skimmer since its still breaking in. (Keeps the bubbles from going into the display) I plan on getting the JBJ Glo light and growing some chaeto in there. A lot of people mistake this chamber as a skimmer chamber but it was actually designed to be used as a mini refugium.

As far as the "middle" chamber where my return pump sits, this chamber would not work for a protein skimmer since the water level is inconsistent due to evaporation. I would definitely recommend using a return chamber for a skimmer of your choice.

famousdan314
Looking fantastic! How is the skimmer working for you? I really want to get a new one.

Thank you Gramophone! I'm hoping to fill the tank up with some new corals soon, just taking it slow. How's your tank coming along?

So far I really like the skimmer, very simple to adjust and setup. Only downside is the sound of the bubbles in the chamber, the pump itself is very quiet. I'm assuming with time the skimmer will get a little quieter, I am not sure how loud it is in comparison to other brands such as tunze. I'm assuming this is common when running a skimmer in an aio tank versus in a sump. The only other downside with this skimmer is it operates best when submerged under about 5-6" of water. The Overflow in our JBJ 30 runs about 9-10" deep of water. Which means you have to hang it and it sticks out in the back as you can see in the pic I posted. (Wished they made a black version) All in all its been working great and pulls a lot of dark skim, meaning nice clean water.

Thank you Gramophone! I'm hoping to fill the tank up with some new corals soon, just taking it slow. How's your tank coming along? So far I really like the skimmer, very simple to adjust and setup. Only downside is the sound of the bubbles in the chamber, the pump itself is very quiet. I'm assuming with time the skimmer will get a little quieter, I am not sure how loud it is in comparison to other brands such as tunze. I'm assuming this is common when running a skimmer in an aio tank versus in a sump. The only other downside with this skimmer is it operates best when submerged under about 5-6" of water. The Overflow in our JBJ 30 runs about 9-10" deep of water. Which means you have to hang it and it sticks out in the back as you can see in the pic I posted. (Wished they made a black version) All in all its been working great and pulls a lot of dark skim, meaning nice clean water.

It's coming along well! Thank you for asking.

Yeah, the chambers aren't the best choice if you want a quiet skimmer. I'm used to a lot of noise from my current one. I'm sure I'll be getting a new one here soon when some extra cash comes my way ;)

Can't wait to see yours stocked!

• Like 1
famousdan314

It's coming along well! Thank you for asking.

Yeah, the chambers aren't the best choice if you want a quiet skimmer. I'm used to a lot of noise from my current one. I'm sure I'll be getting a new one here soon when some extra cash comes my way ;)

Can't wait to see yours stocked!

Me too! I am super eager to find some nice corals to put in. I just got my JBJ ATO yesterday. How do you have yours set up?

famousdan314

Some pics of the setup after installing my ATO. I'm going to have to put in some solar panels on my house here in a minute. Haha. The JBJ ATO works great, couldn't even tell it was on until I happened to catch it filling up. I ended up using an 8 gallon aio tank for my reservoir until i find a better container, it holds about 6 gallons. What does everyone else use to keep the wires clean underneath. I have just been using zip ties, and used 3M double sided tape to mount controllers and power strips.

post-80254-0-44667800-1395894378_thumb.jpg

post-80254-0-71764700-1395894402_thumb.jpg

post-80254-0-44963700-1395894418_thumb.jpg

famousdan314
can you pm me the guy you used to build the stand?
Was going to PM but I'll post it in case any other so cal locals are interested.He works from home in Westminster, Ca. You can email him at Valsaqauariumstands@gmail.com. or call him.714-610-2903 or 714-610-6226He has a FB " Val's aquarium stands & canopies"

Thank you dpoltsdsu! Do you attend sdsu, San Diego State Univ?

That Potters is stunning. Very nice build so far, I'm subbed.
  • Like 1

Still haven't had any luck on getting a clean shot of the six line. However, got an early birthday present and picked up a Potters Angel fish. I am almost positive it's a female unless the coloration changes as most males have a completely dark blue belly. I think I am about done with my fish stocking for now. I also added a couple more pieces of live rock and a green bta.

DSC01865.JPG

Wondrous aquarium!

About the angels sex, it's similar to flasher/fairy wrasse, smaller less dominant specimens are females, larger ones male, your's is likely a female but should change to a male if left alone without the addition of a larger potter's angel.

• Like 1
famousdan314
Wondrous aquarium!

About the angels sex, it's similar to flasher/fairy wrasse, smaller less dominant specimens are females, larger ones male, your's is likely a female but should change to a male if left alone without the addition of a larger potter's angel.

Thanks 1.0 reef for the compliments! I haven't had a ton of time or extra cash to stock up on corals yet but I'm hoping to pick some up at the MAX expo this weekend in orange county. I'm super stocked to get this reef growing.

As for the potters, she is by far my favorite fish. Tons of personality and so far hasn't touched any LPS. She also started too eat pellets as well as frozen mysis so she's looking colorful and healthy!

Thought I'd share a story. Yesterday I called home on my way back from work and the Wife tells me,"Your angelfish doesn't look good, its laying on the bottom and the other fish are nipping at it!" I say What! Can you net her out and put her in my breeder box. She says, " I can't I'm on my way out to dinner with my parents." At this point I'm sad and mad she won't take 5 minutes to attempt to save the fish. I'm thinking to myself, I wonder if she was stung by my nem or what happened as she seemed perfectly happy last I saw her. There was an awkward silence. She yells .....April Fools!

She got me good, I hung up on her then called back once I thought it was funny..hahaha

• Like 1
famousdan314
Wow that angel is gorgeous. I really like that overflow mod too. Good stuff.

Thanks Traggs she's definitely my favorite.

famousdan314

I attended MAX expo at the oc fairgrounds and picked up another Florida ricordea, an orange mushroom, and an orange monti. These expos are worth every penny of the entry price as you walk away with a ton of samples and goodies! Including food, chemipure, supplements, magazines, books, and even got a free magnet algae cleaner!

On a sad note, its day two and I haven't spotted my sixline wrasse. Either he is hiding out, or he jumped out as my tank is rimless and topless.

I'm pretty sad if he flew into the back chambers, tonite I'm going to attempt to investigate where the little guy went. I looked all over the floor and haven't found a crispy fish anywhere. ...is it possible my gbta ate him, or one of my Duncan heads? Its driving me nuts.

famousdan314

Good news!!!! Took out a flashlight and removed my media tray in the right overflow and there he was at the bottom. He's in a breeder box with water circulating through from the display tank. He was a little beat up and tired but I think he will make a full recovery. Hopefully if he eats tommorow and swims actively I will put him back in the display tank. Otherwise he may have to rest for an extra day.

Hopefully he's alright. They are pretty hardy. Iv'e had one jump out and lay on the floor for a good 4 minutes while I moved a table and he was swimming around in a couple hours. They are crazy fish

• Like 1
famousdan314
Hopefully he's alright. They are pretty hardy. Iv'e had one jump out and lay on the floor for a good 4 minutes while I moved a table and he was swimming around in a couple hours. They are crazy fish

This morning he was actively swimming so I put him back in the display tank. Almost instantly my bicolor dotty back started chasing him. I'm sure this is what caused him to jump. So I rescaped the tank to hopefully lower aggression and territorial behavior. I've been wanting to do this anyways as I just couldn't stand the dry rock especially since it started growing this clear hair algae. I'll have to pick up some more purple live rock at the store.