Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calling all mantis shrimp experts

dixie reefer

I've been reading all day and I've got a dilemma, I am having a hard time choosing between N. wennerae and O. havanensis. I love the personality of the havanensis but it being so delicate is spooking me away from it.

• Like 1

I've been reading all day and I've got a dilemma, I am having a hard time choosing between N. wennerae and O. havanensis. I love the personality of the havanensis but it being so delicate is spooking me away from it.

I'd say if it is the first one and so it seems then N wennerrae would be my recommendation ... but up to you of course

Should stay fairly small ...

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

• Like 1

I have no trouble understanding them. I literally spent ALL day yesterday researching them. I really want O. havanensis but my head is screaming N wennerrae so i guess i will be going with the latter.

• Like 1

I have no trouble understanding them. I literally spent ALL day yesterday researching them. I really want O. havanensis but my head is screaming N wennerrae so i guess i will be going with the latter.

Indeed, go with what you want, as if you do not you will keeping thinking about maybe having made the wrong choice for yourself ...

Good luck ...

Made the mantis burrow today! Going to sink it down into the sand bed. Once i get my seahorses moved to their bigger tank within the next week and a half, I will start a build thread for the mantis tank. (I'm using that 10 gal) Super excited! :)

0112141822a_zpsf44d625c.jpg

• Like 3

awesome, I'll be watching. I'll probably end up breaking down the rocks I have to smaller pieces so they can build what they want and I'll also be putting in another 1/2 inch of sand probably. Hard to get some of the macro to stay down in an inch. I did buy some pipe but I didn't do anything w/it yet, they're so tiny. And they still run away and hide when I put anything but food in there so I guess if I'm going to do anything I should do it while they're still tiny.

• Like 1

I would definitely do it while they are little! I would hate to get popped by a big one lol. I've got some smaller rock that I'm foing to scatter throughout the tank so it can move it where it wants.

I think I'll make that a project for the latter part of this week. Break up the rock and probably do it in a bag of some kind so it doesn't scatter. Hammer? Mallet or the flat side of a meat tenderizer to hit it with?

My husband just took the rock out into the garage, put it on a piece of cardboard, and smashed it with a hammer. When i do it, i do the same thing ecxept i wrap it in a towel first so it's not so messy.

• Like 1

I'd say if it is the first one and so it seems then N wennerrae would be my recommendation ... but up to you of course

Should stay fairly small ...

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

Wow, this species is a real beaut!

n_wennerae1.jpg

n_wennerae2.jpg

If lighting and reflection is a problem, would having black sand maybe help out with this issue?

• Like 1

Oh and a recommendation to dixie reefer: if it were me in your shoes, I would aim to get whatever species is most hardy, active, and interactive.

I'm also into dart frogs, and there are people that like to keep species that are amazing colors.... but that they almost never see because they are hiding. I assume this isn't what you are aiming for.

Also, I think people are drawn to mantises because they can be inquisitive and interactive (or because they are murdering machines). So maybe you want to go for something that will look at you almost as much as you look at it? lol

I checked out the mantis site, and Gonodactylus smithii seems to be the author's favorite species (though at 9cm maybe larger than what you're looking for). "Suitability for Aquarium: Excellent; highly interactive, hardy. This is my favorite gonodactylid for an aquarium"

• Like 3

Yes, the purple spot mantis is beautiful and I would buy it in a second if kp aquatics had them. I'm going to do the right thing and get the more hardy one for this tank. I just know that if I get the more delicate one and I kill it, I'll be heartbroken.

• Like 3

Made the mantis burrow today! Going to sink it down into the sand bed. Once i get my seahorses moved to their bigger tank within the next week and a half, I will start a build thread for the mantis tank. (I'm using that 10 gal) Super excited! :)

Looks good .. just one observation: make sure no light get into the burrow through that entrance/exit at the back left .... light inside the burrow is not good for Mantis as you well know.

Thanks for posting that pic. Looks like you really put a lot of work into making that one ... NICE

• Like 2

n_wennerae1.jpg

n_wennerae2.jpg

If lighting and reflection is a problem, would having black sand maybe help out with this issue?

N wennerae, and a link to an article by James Fatherree ... not really a Mantis expert IMO, but not a bad article nevertheless

Link : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/5/inverts

And the image of the Smasher you like ...

NeogonodactylusWennerae.jpg

My husband just took the rock out into the garage, put it on a piece of cardboard, and smashed it with a hammer. When i do it, i do the same thing ecxept i wrap it in a towel first so it's not so messy.

Good idea indeed :)

NirvanaandTool

Good call on going with a Wennerae. I think its a better fit for a 10g and they can handle more light than a Havanensis.

I never gave my mantis shrimp a pre-made burrow. I just gave them LR and LR rubble and let them do what they pleased. My Chiragra had an elaborate burrow with 4 openings out to each side of the tank. It was really fun watching him work on it and build it to his tastes. And then re-arrange when he got bored.

• Like 2

Thank you Albert for mentioning the whole light in the burrow thing! I had read that but it slipped my mind. I just put a flat piece of rock rubble over the top of that hole to make an overhang to block the light.

I put the rock that I will be using for this build into the sump of my reef tank to seed it and make it live. No use in just waiting around doing nothing. I'd much rather be proactive and do as much as I can while waiting.

• Like 2

Thank you Albert for mentioning the whole light in the burrow thing! I had read that but it slipped my mind. I just put a flat piece of rock rubble over the top of that hole to make an overhang to block the light. I put the rock that I will be using for this build into the sump of my reef tank to seed it and make it live. No use in just waiting around doing nothing. I'd much rather be proactive and do as much as I can while waiting.

NP ... and on the tank good idea to be proactive as you will need real high water quality as you know ... so the better it is by the time your Mantis arrives the better off you are

• Like 1

Awhile back, I found a post by Roy that said black sand can actually injure their little "parts" because it is made of a different type of rock and "sharp". I would caution against black sand.

That one looks great! They are mostly all lime green which still looks great.

Awesome job! I love seeing mantises going to such good homes. Slowly we will convince all of nano-reef they aren't pests :P

Yes, the purple spot mantis is beautiful and I would buy it in a second if kp aquatics had them. I'm going to do the right thing and get the more hardy one for this tank. I just know that if I get the more delicate one and I kill it, I'll be heartbroken.

My blue mantis in my sig is a smithii. I got it from bluezoo. Costs a bit more than the kp ones but you could get on the email list and just maybe they will get one in before you're ready to order. Never know!

• Like 2

I think they are really cool. If i didn't have so many tanks already, I'd definitely get a bigger tank and a bigger mantis. I'm kinda running out of room in my house to put aquariums lol!

I've decided that I'm going to name it Kraken, that way, when i offer it live prey, I can yell "Release the Kraken!!" Hahaha. I've already got a sacrifice waiting for him. My emerald crab ate my pom pom crab today.