Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calling all mantis shrimp experts

dixie reefer

Aside from pure biological needs my rule of thumb has always been that the more intelligent the animal then the more space I should give it. These guys are either very intelligent or extremely good at faking it. ;) Considering their advanced eyesight I assume it's the former.

Indeed and that is a good philosophy indeed !

For the smaller mantis species, is it really necessary to place a piece of acrylic between the bottom of a 10 gallon tank and the sand?

Probably not. I don't have any acrylic with my smithii.

• Like 1

Do you have a thread for your smithii?

I did but I no longer update it. Mostly because I let the fuge turn into a jungle so its impossible to keep track of him. Its a pretty large fuge (20g). I may plumb a small tank into the 45g when I get it up and running for him.

• Like 1

Check http://finaddictsaltwaterfish.com/. That's where I got my 2 gorgs. I tried to order a red finger but they were out and instead of telling me then they gave me something else in my bag. And not only the pics but the prices are only like $2 different up/down from KP Aquatics. I don't like that they only put half the amt of water they should in a bag and bent the purple ribbon gorg in half and put it in there. But they're doing well. So many it's more flexible than I thought and shouldn't have worried. I didn't like the fact that the box was not lined w/ foam. Peanuts were there but stuff was cool. 50/50 on them. And they have a nice pic of a Odontodactylus for $36 & they say size is 1-4".

• Like 1

Thanks! The tank has been up and cycling for a few days, just finally got around to getting the light on it today. I had the rock kind of sporadically placed around the tank but I think I like the rock pile better.

• Like 1

Just decor. Maybe he will use it as a little shaded hideout? I can easily get a turkey baster in there and blow out any detritus that get in there.

• Like 3

I'm going home to Florida to visit this summer and plan on bringing back all kinds of tasty treats for my future mantis. This guy is going to be spoiled for sure! All I have to is find one first!

• Like 1

I like it! What size tank again? The light I'm using is an led fixture from aquatraders. It has 6, 1 watt leds, 4 white and 2 blue. I can have all leds on like in the pic, or just the blue on.

• Like 1
I'm going home to Florida to visit this summer and plan on bringing back all kinds of tasty treats for my future mantis. This guy is going to be spoiled for sure! All I have to is find one first!
Those back crabs are easy to find. Just dig few inches below the surface and you will find dozens of them.

I like it! What size tank again? The light I'm using is an led fixture from aquatraders. It has 6, 1 watt leds, 4 white and 2 blue. I can have all leds on like in the pic, or just the blue on.
I am using all blue IM (15watts) atm. But I might add another 10K or 14K later on. As to a tank size it is 16G for now. Once I figure out the place and tank for his permanent residence.
  • Like 1

Keep your shrimp in shape. Here is how:

I would add some more shady places for yours. No corals in this one, thinking about some macros though.
It is hard to see but there is a big cave under big rock on the left. I might add more LR still. Dont know yet
  • Like 1