SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

itsyahboydanny

~ Reef Pennisula ~

10 months 15266653088_ec5e541db0_z.jpg 3 months14134444284_3ac2d08114_z.jpg 1.5 months12708811965_3276a32bbc_z.jpg After Cycling11863507916_7d64b1671f_z.jpg Photo Galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157639604001184/ Background:I started my 12 gallon Pico S III 6 months ago, and I said at that time I wont be one of those crazy addict with multiple tanks. Oh how wrong I was. This hobby got me, and it got me good. I am constrained by the size of my condo so I can only get a pico. I saw Gena's amazing 3g rock anemone tank, and I couldn't resist starting a new pico tank. Then I saw someone's Fluval Spec V build, and I knew this is the tank for me. The tank sits on my kitchen raised counter top and I LOVE the 320 degree view. I waited a month for the Arch Vidarock, and it's totally worth it. I love the simplicity with Vidarocks. It barely fits in the tank because of how slim the tank is. I love the NanoBox Duo on my PicO so much that I just had to get another NanoBox again. The NanoBox Tide is just as awesome as the Duo. I do notice the color spectrum being a little different between the two. The Tide has more of a purple tint to it. Both look amazing. My condo from the outside looks like an alien ship. Filtration:

Arch VidarocksCaribsea Arag-Alive Reef SandFilter padPurigenChemi-pure EliteInstant Ocean Reef Crystals

Equipments:

Fluval Spec V 5 gallonsNanobox Tide Full Spectrum AwesomenessInTank Media BasketMarineland 606 pumpMikro Omega 3 Stage Portable RO/DI System

Stocking Plan:Mostly LPS, zoas, rics with a dash of monti cap. Still need to decide on a fish. Any suggestions??? May just default to a clown...

Hey I was wondering what you set you tide to as far as ch1 and ch2 in day?

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks! I think I few of my new zoas got light shocked because I was running 160 and 90

oh wow, do you have a Spec V too? I melted a few rics when I had a Nanobox Duo running around 180 / 90. Now I turn it way down. These lights pack quite a punch.

itsyahboydanny

oh wow, do you have a Spec V too? I melted a few rics when I had a Nanobox Duo running around 180 / 90. Now I turn it way down. These lights pack quite a punch.

Oh right, I have a PicO 5g its 12x12x10, I have a tide over it, I've only had the light for about a week and a half now so I'm still unsure of how much power its putting out. I'm going to run it at 120 60 for a while, I only have zoas and a monti and a birdsnest. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

Oh right, I have a PicO 5g its 12x12x10, I have a tide over it, I've only had the light for about a week and a half now so I'm still unsure of how much power its putting out. I'm going to run it at 120 60 for a while, I only have zoas and a monti and a birdsnest. We'll see how it goes!

120 / 60 would be great I think. I just saw your build thread. Great setup. You need to update it with new pics of the corals =P.

• Like 1
itsyahboydanny

120 / 60 would be great I think. I just saw your build thread. Great setup. You need to update it with new pics of the corals =P.

I will, never got much love on my build thread so I gave up lol

I thought so. I used to be able to get some amazing macro shots from my Sony DSC-100 when I had my tube and all my lenses but I some how misplaced them.. I've been looking into getting a FujiFilm ( almost dslr ) camera.

• Like 1

a quick update on MAME skimmer

• The skimmate has been getting lighter in color so I take that as a good sign that there's less nasty stuff in the water =)
  • No more cyano! I use to have to blow cyano off the rock daily. Not anymore!
  • Still turf algae but they are growing back slower.
  • Skimmer is super easy to clean but the tubing starting to look a little nasty. Will probably wash it out with some H202 soon.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I've asked you before, but what are you keeping your NanoBox settings at these days? And how long's your photoperiod and are you doing any ramp up/down time?

Also, pretty colors.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates brotha? I saw you were having trouble with the 12g. You must be busy dealing with that, I'm sure.

You said your Spec V was doing well and I want to see it!

• Like 1

I know I've asked you before, but what are you keeping your NanoBox settings at these days? And how long's your photoperiod and are you doing any ramp up/down time?

Also, pretty colors.

I am running 110 blues 40 whites right now, from 12:00pm till 9:30pm with a 90 mins ramp up/down time. The tank also gets a few hours of morning sunlight when its nice out.

Any updates brotha? I saw you were having trouble with the 12g. You must be busy dealing with that, I'm sure.

You said your Spec V was doing well and I want to see it!

Been stocking up on zoas in this tank since my 12g is not doing so well. Hard to photograph the new zoas since I put them at the bottom of the tank and this tank is so much higher than the 12g =P. Best news is cyano all gone and turf algae 80% gone. Skimmer + large water changes + manual removal finally paying off.

• Like 4

It's looking great! I have the Nanobox Tide on my 4g CAD Lights on 120/80, but I may experiment with less white light. I had some zoas reaching for more light on 110/80 so I bumped the blue up recently. Does everything on the bottom of your tank get enough light?

• 1 month later...

Alright, made it through the thread. I want pics of your new gorgs and sponge! :flower:

Just finished gluing two of them to the rock. Hope they open tomorrow for pictures! I have to say the red sponge is the best buy if I can keep it alive. Soooo bright orange and good size. I want to start a new build with just KPA stuff. I want the yellow nano sponge too but it was out of stock.

• Like 3

Just finished gluing two of them to the rock. Hope they open tomorrow for pictures! I have to say the red sponge is the best buy if I can keep it alive. Soooo bright orange and good size. I want to start a new build with just KPA stuff. I want the yellow nano sponge too but it was out of stock.

Awesome. I've got a good flow but very shady side of the RFA rock that I think needs a sponge :lol:

• Like 1

Busy day =).

Here's a new FTS. I really need to clean the glass more. It's sooo much harder to take good pics with this tank. I think it's because the "back" isn't painted and I am getting weird distortion.

https://flic.kr/p/qD8z9Y'>16172750100_db6ff83a11.jpg

Close up of the 3 gorgs. 1 purple sea rod, 1 purple plume, 1 orange spiny. The purple sea rod is the best looking with white polyps. The orange one is just so-so because the polyps are tan / brown.

https://flic.kr/p/qD7k9o'>16172507858_ae38b5961d.jpg

Red sponge is soooo awesome!

https://flic.kr/p/qD8BxW'>16172758160_fb371f3716.jpg

Macro of the purple sea rod

https://flic.kr/p/qVwYw8'>16358380211_ccddf8509e.jpg

• Like 10