SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

Sadly, the clown has to go...to my 12 gallons! The damsel is picking on my new firefish in the 12 gallons so I banished it to the Spec and going to move the Onyx clown to the 12 gallons and hope it pairs up with the buckshot snowflake there. Getting the clown out is becoming very difficult....

• Like 1

Man that sucks... My damsel I had in my bro n laws 15 gallon did the same thing. He quickly got tossed,the way he treated the clown was ridiculous. By far the meanest fish I have ever had..

How do you think the firefish will fair in the spec ?

Getting the clown out is becoming very difficult....

Haha. Here's a funny story..

Past few weeks I've been putting my hand in the tank to work / move stuff and such. I've been using tweezers, my turkey baster, my medicine dropper, and my injection syringe to kill aiptasia.

Yesterday I took the lid off and wanted to scoop these remaining pieces of the pistol's molt out -- brought out my very tiny red 2" net... and the clowns went so insane that I put the lid back on immediately in fear of them jumping. Mission abort!! I ended up using the tweezers haha...

• Like 1

Man that sucks... My damsel I had in my bro n laws 15 gallon did the same thing. He quickly got tossed,the way he treated the clown was ridiculous. By far the meanest fish I have ever had..

How do you think the firefish will fair in the spec ?

The problem is that I have a cleaner shrimp in the spec that goes nuts during feeding. The firefish is so timid that I am afraid it wont be able to out compete the shrimp. Finally got the clown out into the 12 gallons. The bigger clown there seems to be chasing it a bit but I hope they become friends soon. I always wanted two clowns together so this works out.

Haha. Here's a funny story..

Past few weeks I've been putting my hand in the tank to work / move stuff and such. I've been using tweezers, my turkey baster, my medicine dropper, and my injection syringe to kill aiptasia.

Yesterday I took the lid off and wanted to scoop these remaining pieces of the pistol's molt out -- brought out my very tiny red 2" net... and the clowns went so insane that I put the lid back on immediately in fear of them jumping. Mission abort!! I ended up using the tweezers haha...

The snowflake in my 12 gallons nip at my hand when I mess around in the tank. Scared the shit out of me the first time. Almost made my light fall into the tank when I bumped against it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The snowflake in my 12 gallons nip at my hand when I mess around in the tank. Scared the shit out of me the first time. Almost made my light fall into the tank when I bumped against it.

Have you been bitten alot? Does it hurt? I got nipped once last night (video in my thread LOL) my clowns were being super territorial / defensive whenever I put my hand in there.

The nip didn't hurt though, or I didn't feel it - but I'm a bit nervous about becoming too comfortable and having them just chomp right out of my knuckle or something....

Hahaha it doesn't hurt. I can reassure you that lol so I wouldn't worry about it. Even though they are a fish,they're showing dominance. Just don't let them scare you and they should get used to you.

• Like 1

They're just little reminders of love "their way". ha ha. My big clown gives me a little nip too when I have my hand in there.

Amazing ric's man !!!! I say take a hammer and screwdriver or a dremel like you said !!!! Maybe focus the rockwork aginst the false wall,between the overflow and the return,and run it out down the middle of the tank a little ? Kinda like Pismo did in his tank.

Rics looks great, I only have one, pretty dull colouring but it pushes out babies like crazy. I recently smashed up some rock, really easy to do if it is fresh from the tank. Porus rock is even easier to smash when wet. I used a small chisel and a hammer, short sharp taps of the hammer is all thats required and stops you following through too much destroying the rest of the rock. The Dremel works well also, I use it for tidying up rock that new pieces come in on but for bigger pieces of rock it is too time consuming.

• Like 1

Glued most of the rics to the rock and moved it all the way to the back so I can fill the front with torches / hammers / froggies. Also moved a green pocillopora over from my 12 gal. But my stupid cleaner shrimp keeps picking at it. May have to give the cleaner shrimp away. It's annoying me lately. Always walking over my torch when I feed the corals.

• Like 1

Got some xenia from a local reefer for freeee. But when I showed up at his place, I found out he's actually running a shop inside his house so bought a few more frags. Sigh. It was a trap.

Now I have xenia, GSP, and clove polyps glued to the back wall. I am gonna call it the Weed Wall and see which grows the fastest and takes over the wall.

• Like 6
Kalanianaole

Got some xenia from a local reefer for freeee. But when I showed up at his place, I found out he's actually running a shop inside his house so bought a few more frags. Sigh. It was a trap.

Now I have xenia, GSP, and clove polyps glued to the back wall. I am gonna call it the Weed Wall and see which grows the fastest and takes over the wall.

Words are meaningless. Pictures are truth.

• Like 2

The tank and corals really look awesome...Did I miss your filtration setup? How often are you doing water changes?

Thanks! Filtration is simply carbon + purigen + filter pad with inTank media basket. I do a 1 gallon change weekly but I used to do 2x a week when I had a nasty algae outbreak.

beautiful clown!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

haven't updated this in awhile...

• Fighting a bit of hair algae on the backwall
  • Added torch / hammer / frogspawn
  • Xenia is overtaking the backwall
  • Zoas getting eaten alive by nudibranch....i hate them so much
  • Moved the onyx clown back to this tank only to have the damsel beat him up. Maybe have to rehome the damsel and get a YCG.

No good pictures. Not sure why but I can't get good pics with this tank. The glass is always dirty / smudgy. The light creates a weird reflection off the rock and pictures come out distorted. I guess that's the difference between regular glass and starphire glass on the PicO.

But here's a pic of the Xenia. Started with half of this......

https://flic.kr/p/o2VW1h'>14461688000_7b2a13f1c8.jpg

• Like 4