ReefCleaners.org

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

I now finally have coralline algae growing around the tank and also bubble algae which is less welcome, I'm thinking I will manually remove the 6 or so bubbles which are tiny at the moment and get an emerald crab if they return.

Use airline tubing to poke them and suck them out with a siphon.

If you try to pull them off manually you will pop them and spread the spores all over the tank!

nanolutionary

bubble algae is such a pain! Just a quick question, how are your maroon clowns in your tank? are they super aggressive?

I removed the bubbles and siphoned them out so we shall see! The maroon clownfish were tricky to begin with because she really didn't take too kindly to the juvenile at first but once they paired up there have been no problems. She is definitely the boss in the tank the cherub angel and kole tang tend to steer clear but she doesn't bother with them.

Also I think it's worth noting that when I was cleaning the tanks at a LFS I used to work

at, other species of clownfish would charge at and bite my hands, a behaviour the maroons have never demonstrated.

• Like 1

I removed the bubbles and siphoned them out so we shall see! The maroon clownfish were tricky to begin with because she really didn't take too kindly to the juvenile at first but once they paired up there have been no problems. She is definitely the boss in the tank the cherub angel and kole tang tend to steer clear but she doesn't bother with them.

Also I think it's worth noting that when I was cleaning the tanks at a LFS I used to work

at, other species of clownfish would charge at and bite my hands, a behaviour the maroons have never demonstrated.

i might consider a pair for my tank. I made the mistake of adding a lone yellow damsel who has managed to bully 2 clownfish and a very shy flame wrasse to death :(. I have tried way to hard to get this bastard out. Looking for something to put him into his place, and im thinking a pair of maroons will do it

nanolutionary

i might consider a pair for my tank. I made the mistake of adding a lone yellow damsel who has managed to bully 2 clownfish and a very shy flame wrasse to death :(. I have tried way to hard to get this bastard out. Looking for something to put him into his place, and im thinking a pair of maroons will do it

Have you tried a fish trap? I would never have gotten my other dwarf angels that were nipping my clam out without one! The only thing is you're guaranteed that every damn fish and snail will make its way in and out of the trap before the one you actually want to remove does!!

I would really recommend a pair of maroons but they are difficult to pair up she tore him to shreds the first few days, if I hadn't of sectioned him off she would no doubt have killed him but after a week of looking at him through the partition they get on like a house on fire. So beautiful to watch, highly recommend.

• Like 1

Added a yellow coral goby and long spined urchin, coral goby has got chased a little by the Pygmy angel and female maroon but they seem to have chilled out a little now plus the coral goby has been able to wedge itself into the rockwork to hide.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Yellow Coral Goby and the Kole Tang have both died, the former due to my female maroon clownfish and cherub angelfish harassing it and the tang died after trying to wedge itself into the same corner as the urchin whilst I was cleaning the tank. :(

• 4 weeks later...
nanolutionary

Please do not put tangs in here.

You have an immature 30g with little rock work/cover. It's going to stress the fish out until it dies.

you are right. No more tangs

• 1 month later...
nanolutionary

So the latest is I've accidentally got water on the electrics, which fried one of my XR15 power adapters and also the vortech controller, ordered an MP10wQD upgrade kit to replace the fried motherboard and also ordering a replacement power adapter tonight!

Drama!

In other news I have added an indigo dottyback and a hawkfish, a small army of hermit crabs to get chewing on my bubble/turf algae and loads more snails. I've also got a new plate coral (bright orange) and a tube anemone (pink and green). Been feeding my zoos with Reef Roids and also the LPS and SPS with D and D foods and seeing amazing results. Have an army of Astrea Stars which I will soon unleash a harlequin shrimp onto before long.

More pics once I remove the return pump from display tank once I get vortech back up and running.

• 1 month later...
nanolutionary

Oh no! Water on electronics is never good :(

Any way you could make them more separated from water in case something similar happens in the future?

I've been thinking about the best way to do this, might just put them on an absorbent matt as there isn't space to secure them anywhere in the sump.

nanolutionary

Looking good! Is your Radion graph on Aquatic Log up to date?

Thanks! yours is looking great too and it is now! 100% radiant colour

nanolutionary

Thanks! I appreciate that. You're using Radiant Color too?

Yes although I think I'll be switching to a brighter mode next time I take pics!

• 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

10k is the best for photos if you have a 10k white balance setting on your camera.

Ok thanks for the tip will try next time.

Long time no see man, tank is looking great!

Thanks! Yours too :)

Unfortunately my blue/green torch coral has in the space of two days lost both it's blue polyps :( Think It might have been where I had it right in the corner where the urchin likes to sleep in the day and it got spiked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
nanolutionary

So I believe the fact my torch coral has gradually deteriorated over the last couple of weeks has something to do with the corals growing to the extent that they are now battling each other for space and causing an uninhabitable environment for sensitive corals like the torch but nothing else seems to be affected...

Pics to follow there's lots of mucus and bleaching!

• 3 weeks later...
nanolutionary

So the bleaching has settled down I realised it was also as a result or perhaps even predominantly as a result of the new doser adding way too much NoPox to the tank which I've now rectified.

My Vortech QD after being replaced a few months ago has started making a really loud noise last night so I've had to take it out of the tank definitely won't be getting a vortech again!

• Like 1
Cameron6796

i know everyone here says this... but this is going to look so amazing as every month passes. The scape is going to only compliment time and growth.