Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

Seriously, I can't get it to not grow. I retired the Nuvo 16 and the back wall is a hot mess, plus all the new RAP frags in the 20 went onto brand new ceramic plugs. Already spotted with purple and red coralline after a light green dusting.

The answer might be 'way too many nutrients', because I'm also growing adorable red hitchhiker macros, and others that fall into the 'pest' variety.

• Like 1

One thing I am a bit gutted about is how I haven't got much coralline algae in the tank, it's been running for years now I don't get it all my foundation elements are stable?

I don't get much growing on my glass walls...like hardly any at all. But I do see it taking off on the rocks and snails. Oh...and dark surfaces. It seems to favor dark surfaces in my tanks.
  • Like 1

Its kind of like facial hair, you think its going to be awesome, then you have it and its a pain in the ass to shave everyday. hows that for an example haha.

Last time i cleaned my coraline off the back wall my dkh went up by 2 as it was consuming so much alk.

• Like 3
nanolutionary

Just had a tank disaster water on the floor levels all wrong, got everything stable again in terms of heater pumps and a bit of salt to compensate for the water on the floor and fresh water refill, going to try and give it some tender loving care when I'm back at my parents house tomorrow. That's the last time I leave it to my parents to look after while i'm on annual leave with the boyfriend!

• Like 1
nanolutionary

PTA = Pain in the ass.

It gets everywhere!

I suppose it does cut off circulation to the core of liverock, but it's so pretty :wub:

Seriously, I can't get it to not grow. I retired the Nuvo 16 and the back wall is a hot mess, plus all the new RAP frags in the 20 went onto brand new ceramic plugs. Already spotted with purple and red coralline after a light green dusting.

The answer might be 'way too many nutrients', because I'm also growing adorable red hitchhiker macros, and others that fall into the 'pest' variety.

I don't get much growing on my glass walls...like hardly any at all. But I do see it taking off on the rocks and snails. Oh...and dark surfaces. It seems to favor dark surfaces in my tanks.

I scrape my walls regularly but it does sometimes grow on there as well as the PVC exposed it's just the lack of it on the liverock surface that I desire.

Its kind of like facial hair, you think its going to be awesome, then you have it and its a pain in the ass to shave everyday. hows that for an example haha.

Last time i cleaned my coraline off the back wall my dkh went up by 2 as it was consuming so much alk.

lol and that's incredible

• Like 1
nanolutionary

Ok managed to get everything as it should be and did a water change of 20%, also installed my new frag rack and added some frags to that to start trading

• Like 2
nanolutionary

What are your Radion settings?

I use ecotech's Coral Radiance setting on 100%.

Wow that's quiet high!

mine are running at 50% and i see 300par at the mid point in the tank.

Seems to work really well in my tank!

nanolutionary

Great unique aquascape.. very well done..

Thanks Thilankasp, I had a few evolutions along the way but I'm happy with it now.

Love that scape! Well done! Well done!

Thanks Sharbuckle, Love your scape too, in fact I was thinking of attaching all my orals to three columns instead of my current scape as I think it would provide an even better swimming area.

Looking good! Sounds like you made a nice recovery.

Thanks tanacharison, God it's funny how a tank crash, no matter how mini it is, can make you feel like giving up

Thanks Thilankasp, I had a few evolutions along the way but I'm happy with it now.

Thanks Sharbuckle, Love your scape too, in fact I was thinking of attaching all my orals to three columns instead of my current scape as I think it would provide an even better swimming area.

Thanks tanacharison, God it's funny how a tank crash, no matter how mini it is, can make you feel like giving up

I like column scapes a lot. I really like that yours is quite unique however!

I scrape my walls regularly but it does sometimes grow on there as well as the PVC exposed it's just the lack of it on the liverock surface that I desire.

I don't see any live rock surface area for it to grow :). Too many gorgeous corals taking up the space!
nanolutionary

I don't see any live rock surface area for it to grow :). Too many gorgeous corals taking up the space!

Aw thank you

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
nanolutionary

Update is fish-wise I now have an Indigo Dottyback, Olive Faced Basslet and two Maroon Clownfish in the tank.

I have survived a powercut with no casualties last week but it did flood slightly and mean that my fan disconnected.

I think this is where my current predicament started, an sps looked to be bleaching this morning and my Maroon Clownfish female has popeye, the temperature was 26'C (first thing in morning) so must've been pushing 30'C as the weather's been hot here recently.

Got the fan on and will do water tests and water change when I get in to try and rectify.

Anyone got any experience with popeye?

Update is fish-wise I now have an Indigo Dottyback, Olive Faced Basslet and two Maroon Clownfish in the tank.

I have survived a powercut with no casualties last week but it did flood slightly and mean that my fan disconnected.

I think this is where my current predicament started, an sps looked to be bleaching this morning and my Maroon Clownfish female has popeye, the temperature was 26'C (first thing in morning) so must've been pushing 30'C as the weather's been hot here recently.

Got the fan on and will do water tests and water change when I get in to try and rectify.

Anyone got any experience with popeye?

I never diagnosed it as exactly popeye but I had a fish with a bulging eye. I determined it was from an eye injury as opposed to being in non-optimal water conditions which led to infection. I did nothing and the fish recovered within a couple of days.

Just keep the tank clean and feed a healthy diet and it should recover. Maybe since you did have a power outage your water spiked some ammonia and led to the eye infection. I would definitely do an extra water change to be safe :).

nanolutionary

I never diagnosed it as exactly popeye but I had a fish with a bulging eye. I determined it was from an eye injury as opposed to being in non-optimal water conditions which led to infection. I did nothing and the fish recovered within a couple of days.

Just keep the tank clean and feed a healthy diet and it should recover. Maybe since you did have a power outage your water spiked some ammonia and led to the eye infection. I would definitely do an extra water change to be safe :).

I gave the tank a deep clean and water change yesterday her eyes are looking

much better today :)

• 1 month later...
nanolutionary

Ok update from me is:

A couple of weeks ago I nearly completely totalled my reef tank and it is still recovering now (nearly all Zoas are not looking good).

It all began with me trying to battle dinoflagelattes, before I commenced this battle I noticed my alkalinity container had a little bit left of the 5 litre container I store it in caused by airline tubing that had doubled back on itself meaning though there was still alkalinity left in the container the tube being bent towards the air in the container meant the final bit of alkalinity wasn't being dosed.

I decided as it was 'just a little bit' to pour the remaining few hundred ml which though would have been slightly more than I should have dosed in one go 'will be alright'. At least that's what I said to myself.

I poured it in the sump so it would mix more before going into the display and what started to occur was this battle between the mixed saltwater and this cloud-like mass spreading and retracting from the outlet into the display.

I watched in horror as the entire tank descended into shrouded milky invisibility and that's the way it stayed as I had to leave the tank at that point as something came up!

When I returned I did loads of water changes and there was so much dense milky powder everywhere, I think I experienced a 'precipitation'.

Now that's under control (nothing died miraculously) and my snails and crabs are back to moving around I am battling Dinoflagellates which where there before the precipitation happened. I am using Fauna Marine Algea X and 5 days into treatment.

• 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

Really struggling now, corals are starting to die off (sps) Fauna Marine has reduced but not eradicated dinoflagellates perhaps it is cyanobacteria which I think it is ineffective against.

I will have to think about breaking the tank down if my massive water change and lights out schedule with more fauna marine doesn't work over the next couple of weeks...

nanolutionary

Unfortunately I lost the battle with Cyanobacteria.

Sold all coral and fish, breaking the tank down tonight - I will be back one day!

• Like 2