SaltCritters.com

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

HarryPotter

It's virtually impossible for it to overflow, the only way for my main drain to be blocked is if the anemone gets sucked onto it but even in that unlikely event there's about 1.5 cm between the rim and the water level at what i've set it, which means the secondary overflow can still take the full flow just raising the water level to 0.5cm below the rim.

Wow that's awesome! Love it!

You still have room to put your arm in without overflowing?

• Like 2
nanolutionary

Wow that's awesome! Love it!

You still have room to put your arm in without overflowing?

Yes, my arm doesn't affect the water level however when I clean the tank I drop the water level down to a more traditional 1-2inches to allow for the waves without any spills.

nanolutionary

I think that a cause of the Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates i'm experiencing is not enough flow - as it's mainly in the areas where there are pillars of rock or in the corners - and my decision to not siphon out detritus from my sand-bed every fortnight with my water changes.

So yesterday I created one hell of a storm taking all of the sand to the end of the tank with the vortech, I even lifted up the rock structure and scraped all of the sand from under the pillar so practically all of the sand was right up to just under the vortech on that side of the tank. I then just started stirring the sand again and again every hour until all of the detritus and cyanobacteria/dinoflagellates had been sucked into the vortech sponge and filters socks.

I imagine it wasn't the most pleasant experience for my nassarius' and the corals didn't exactly love it either but once there wasn't any detritus in the water column with my repeated sifts I swiftly executed a 40% water change and let the dust settle...

Before the storm:

IMG_4364.jpg
IMG_4365.jpgIMG_4366.jpgIMG_4383.jpg

And afterwards:

IMG_4386.jpgIMG_4387.jpgIMG_4389.jpg

I've ramped up my Vortech to 100% constant speed and moved the rock work further left so no corals are getting blasted by the flow. I have also ramped up my eheim compact+ 3000 by about 20% so now there is significantly more flow on the left side of the tank as well and I will be doing weekly water changes siphoning the sand overtime switching to fortnightly again once I am sure the dinoflagellates/cyanobacteria aren't coming back.

I also took the coco-worm out and gave its tube one hell of a scrubbing with a hand scrubbing brush I use for cleaning stubborn algae to rid it of the bubble algae and green algae that has been growing on it,my initial approach - suffocating the algae by burying it with sand for a couple of weeks - hadn't been effective.

Finally I am going to feed a lot more lightly and figure out a way to drain any frozen food before feeding it.

I don't want to change the lighting schedule because everything is growing so well.

Still looks amazing pal.... I saw on BRS TV that if you get to plastic cups and put a small hole in the bottom of one of them and put that cup in the other and let the frozen food defrost all the excess water gets collected the 2nd ### leaving you with just the actual meaty food and no excess water going in to your tank adding to your bio load...

nanolutionary

Still looks amazing pal.... I saw on BRS TV that if you get to plastic cups and put a small hole in the bottom of one of them and put that cup in the other and let the frozen food defrost all the excess water gets collected the 2nd ### leaving you with just the actual meaty food and no excess water going in to your tank adding to your bio load...

That's a great idea will give that a try, thanks, good to see your tank coming along nicely and have a great holiday!

Let me know how you get on, as i was guna try feeding that method also...

Down in Weymouth till Monday but so want be at home sorting last few bits for tank... Glad I finally got it up and running now tho..

You still got the mandarin in the tank?

nanolutionary

Let me know how you get on, as i was guna try feeding that method also...

Down in Weymouth till Monday but so want be at home sorting last few bits for tank... Glad I finally got it up and running now tho..

You still got the mandarin in the tank?

Enjoy your last holiday in peace my friend for it is once the tank is up and running that you won't ever want to/ or be able to leave it!

The mandarin jumped, I so need a suitable lid but it's difficult to comprehend anything other than a custom one with the Radion mounting System.

Enjoy your last holiday in peace my friend for it is once the tank is up and running that you won't ever want to/ or be able to leave it!

The mandarin jumped, I so need a suitable lid but it's difficult to comprehend anything other than a custom one with the Radion mounting System.

Lol I'm lucky my m8 from works in to salt water reefs as well so IF I do ever go on holiday again I know it will b in safe hands...

Ohhhh that's a shame m8, thinking of getting one more? I'm seriously thinking of a lid but not sure where start... I've seen sum nice ones from BRS but it would cost loads to ship

nanolutionary

Lol I'm lucky my m8 from works in to salt water reefs as well so IF I do ever go on holiday again I know it will b in safe hands...

Ohhhh that's a shame m8, thinking of getting one more? I'm seriously thinking of a lid but not sure where start... I've seen sum nice ones from BRS but it would cost loads to ship

What ones have you seen from BRS, the trouble with yours is the same as with mine, the lighting mount would get in the way of the last lid I had here:

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/diy-aquarium-tank-cover-120cm-90cm-p-12781.html

What ones have you seen from BRS, the trouble with yours is the same as with mine, the lighting mount would get in the way of the last lid I had here:

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/diy-aquarium-tank-cover-120cm-90cm-p-12781.html

Buy the looks of the pics that lid looks exactly the same as the ones from BRS TBH...

Yea it's guna ba PITA with the lights, I was thinking of egg crate for now at least you can trim bits out to make it fit around the light system, won't look pretty but will stop escapies for the time being

nanolutionary

Buy the looks of the pics that lid looks exactly the same as the ones from BRS TBH...

Yea it's guna ba PITA with the lights, I was thinking of egg crate for now at least you can trim bits out to make it fit around the light system, won't look pretty but will stop escapies for the time being

Thinking of eventually creating my own lid with a dual layer thin wooden frame with the same mesh spread throughout that way I could create my own corners for the light mount brackets.

Thinking of eventually creating my own lid with a dual layer thin wooden frame with the same mesh spread throughout that way I could create my own corners for the light mount brackets.

Ohhhhhh ok I like it... May have to commission u in to build Me one if its any Good

nanolutionary

Ohhhhhh ok I like it... May have to commission u in to build Me one if its any Good

Exactly it will likely turn out like a used chicken run lol

nanolutionary

The vortech has just completely ceased to function right down to the controller, I know it's not a power issue as the controller is still warm where electricity is running through it. Contacted support at Charterhouse-Aquatics.

Prisonfood53

Nano get 8 extra of the corners and use the hacksaw to cut the end that inserts into the frame so it doesn't go in too far then cut smaller pieces to wrap around the mounts. there might be a bigger gap than you like but it would still protect most of the edges.

nanolutionary

Nano get 8 extra of the corners and use the hacksaw to cut the end that inserts into the frame so it doesn't go in too far then cut smaller pieces to wrap around the mounts. there might be a bigger gap than you like but it would still protect most of the edges.

I tried this a while back but the corners didn't like going the other direction nor the netting.

I love this tank! What type of bulkheads did you use for the plumbing? Is that a jacuzzi jet fitting on your return?

Thanks Sancho! Yeah it is essentially a jacuzzi fitting the technical term used to sell it to me was 'eyeball' return!

Hope it's all good news pal..

Thanks think the vortech will be with them by Friday so hoping they'll have done the testing by early next week.

Hope there not going to charge you for it as its only 6months old..

Wat power heads ave u got running at the moment then?