Cultivated Reef

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

Awesome scape and great pics.

Thanks jball1125 - getting there with my camera skills - long way to go till I'm a pro snapper.

That's brilliant thank... Do they come with a remote? Or do you set up on a computer?

The lights are all configured wirelessly on the computer if you have a ReefLink or you do it via usb if not, the same goes for the Vortech line of pumps if you have purchased a wirelessly enabled one.

Easy to set up? Haven't got any pumps yet would love mp10s but guna ave to save for them aswell... Just want the tank set up now looks so sad in the corner doin nowt lol

nanolutionary

I have seen the tank on ultimate reef, it is a great tank looking forward to seeing it setup.

The entire range was incredibly easy to setup.

nanolutionary

went down tonight and turned on the hyper reds as someone told me that this allows you to see any organisms whilst most of them cannot see you, at first I couldn't see anything but when I went down again just now I saw these pin-head sized bugs crawling around the zoas and underneath them.

I am going to have to tear the zoas off the rock and dip them in Coral RX followed by time in quarantine to check I got all the bugs alongside any eggs that might hatch to adults ready for another dip.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

went down tonight and turned on the hyper reds as someone told me that this allows you to see any organisms whilst most of them cannot see you, at first I couldn't see anything but when I went down again just now I saw these pin-head sized bugs crawling around the zoas and underneath them.[/size]

I am going to have to tear the zoas off the rock and dip them in Coral RX followed by time in quarantine to check I got all the bugs alongside any eggs that might hatch to adults ready for another dip.[/size]

Interesting- are the zoos bothered by them?

nanolutionary

Yes they have been closed for days now, ever since I added my mandarin - will be quarantining from now on - they must have come in on the net.

• Like 1
nanolutionary

A little more information on my pest problem.

I did not percieve it to be a worm, it reminded me of a head louse in both form and behaviour in that it appeared to be a crawling creature, small - barely 1mm wide 2mm long - agile i.e able to evade my tweezers by retreat not jumping I hasten to add, it was capable of moving at speed; I would say at a rate of two (regular sized) zoa polyps per second during the time I observed it. There was one possibly two, it/they moved accross, around and even underneath, between the Zoas mat-like structure and the rock.

Looking forward to giving the zoas a really thorough dip once I get back from being scout leader of the Virginia Water troop, once I have these creatures in the dipping tray I will endeavour to get some macro shots to help in identifying exactly what they are.

nanolutionary

I would say it is most likely Amphipods.

I am going to dip the zoas and quarantine them, even though it looks as though I won't be able to rid the tank of the carnivorous amphipods I can at least remove the zoas and get them back to health and hope that the amphipods die off...this doesn't seem like a very likely to work strategy.

Got to be honest I'm not really sure what I should do. I suppose having the zoas in quarantine following a dip will get them back out and into the light to strengthen up so that can only be a good thing.

nanolutionary

So I setup my quarantine tank last night with the par 38 lights from the start of this thread. I got the dipping tray ready and removed the frags one-by-one, dipping each in a solution of Coral Pro RX, then a second dip of RO/DI before placing them in the QT. That was about 2/3 of the zoas in the QT; the remainder still in the display at this point were comprised of the maroon-coloured zoas - to the left of my rock scape - which were totally unaffected by whatever this problem is my and the zoas from the other colonies that had grown out from the frags themselves and which were so welded onto the rocks that I was certain they would have likely perished if I tried to wrench them from their positions.

When I inspected the dipping tray as I was blasting the corals and after everything settled a lot had come off of the zoa colonies but it wasn't clear whether it was debris or critters, nothing appeared to be writhing around in agony like it did with other corals I have dipped.

Got a 10am-10pm lighting schedule setup in qt so looking forward to seeing whether the zoas open up this evening/or over the weekend.

• Like 1

I have seen the tank on ultimate reef, it is a great tank looking forward to seeing it setup.

Well the lights do look rather gd on the tank, not the look I'm wanting but they will get me going

Well if mine can look half decent like urs, I'll b happy...

I like the lights think they will do a job till I get the radions just a shame u can't hang them up as looking down in to the tank is wat really made want a long shallow nano but it will have to do for now...

Wats nxt on urs plans for your tank?

Well the lights do look rather gd on the tank, not the look I'm wanting but they will get me going

Well if mine can look half decent like urs, I'll b happy...

I like the lights think they will do a job till I get the radions just a shame u can't hang them up as looking down in to the tank is wat really made want a long shallow nano but it will have to do for now...

Wats nxt on urs plans for your tank?

That looks sweet, u r a bad influence keep showing me these new toys for the radions.. Expensive?

nanolutionary

That's a bad ass light mount!

I can't wait to get it on the tank!

That looks sweet, u r a bad influence keep showing me these new toys for the radions.. Expensive?

yes it's set me back £200 for the full Radion Mounting System plus side is it's built incredibly well, looks fab and is versatile.

I can't wait to get it on the tank!

yes it's set me back £200 for the full Radion Mounting System plus side is it's built incredibly well, looks fab and is versatile.

Wow!!! Does look gd my friend, don't forget pics when it's up and running

Me and Grandad with the tank today.

IMG_4271.jpg

It looks so little with you guys in the photo..really gives it perspective. Looks fantastic already...imagine a year from now :wub:.
nanolutionary

Really clean looking tank- gonna be awesome when those SPS fill in

Thanks sk8n Reefer, I'm manually dosing at the moment - I understand you were doing that for quite some time, great SPS growth on your tank hope I can achieve the same.

It looks so little with you guys in the photo..really gives it perspective. Looks fantastic already...imagine a year from now :wub:.

Can't wait to see how it develops!

• Like 3