Cultivated Reef

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

I was doing some research and it seems like hair algae doesn't hold its shape when removed from the water. This algae has a stem and holds its shape.

I just got a bi-colour blenny using a voucher I had at my LFS I'm hoping that will take a liking to munching on the algae.

nanolutionary

Shit lol Ater doing some more research it seems like the product to go with isn't a bi-colour blenny - besides the thing would be morbidly obese if it got through all of this algae on my rock/chocking my corals - but a product by Fauna Marine called 'Ultra Algae X'.

Trying to find a source for it nearby at a LFS or I'm off into London to the better stocked stores to pick some up...then I'm doing what I should be doing today and applying for jobs!

nanolutionary

I've added more snails, including turbos to no avail.

It is very hard to remove from the rock, it is almost clamped on trying to remove the root is nearly impossible and as it's so prevalent it is certainly problematic to remove by hand and impossibly time consuming.

I have decided to go down the chemical route, and purchased Fauna Marin's Ultra Algea X which I have read is very effective at removing all types of algae apart from Caulerpa.

Unfortunately the instructions once translated from German on their website are very unclear:

• 'Dose every 2 days until the algae has gone but not more than 21 days at a time...

• ...2 Days after usage of Algea X you can restart all your systems and do the first water change
My question is, should I do a water change every 2 days or not and how much water should I change for the treatment to be effective?

This is what I just posed to Fauna Matin via email, so I'm waiting to hear what they say back.

nanolutionary

I decided to go ahead with the treatment after finding out that water changing happens two days after the algae disappears/treatment dosing is completed. The algae has gotten progressively worse and it's starting to choke some of my zoos.

The only coral which can be affected by this treatment is my clam, which I've been meaning to replace anyway, hopefully it will make it through the treatment, but all other corals/inverts/fish are reported as unaffected.

You know you're a reef junkie when your pupils dilate as you inject the treatment lol

• Like 1
nanolutionary

The algae has already lost its lush green colour and appears to be disintegrating!

Corals unaffected apart from one SPS piece which I've now moved to the quarantine tank where the clam currently is.

• Like 2
nanolutionary

Glad to hear the treatment is working. love your setup

Thanks Rehype your ridge islet is a work of art!

Is the return the only flow in the aquarium? Everything in your tank appears to be flourishing so I'm interested to see how you kept the flow right.

This is insane can't believe I never saw this before

Thanks Cameron 6796 my plans going forward are to get the Radion RMS track installed so I can get the brackets on either side of the tank.

Thanks Rehype your ridge islet is a work of art!

Is the return the only flow in the aquarium? Everything in your tank appears to be flourishing so I'm interested to see how you kept the flow right.

Thanks Cameron 6796 my plans going forward are to get the Radion RMS track installed so I can get the brackets on either side of the tank.

Thanks so much nano. I was also running two additional WP-10 but I recently just switched to a RW-4

nanolutionary

Do you have an D of your algae? Could very well look like bryopsis to me :( Hope it stays dead from the treatment! :)

Love your tank by the way

Obviously can't be certain but I believe it is a type of Hair algae, whatever it is, Fauna Marin's Algea X - in just four days - has already caused it to bleach and start to die back whilst all but three of my corals (now in QT) are completely unaffected. I really recommend this stuff for those who's corals are small enough to be moved to a quarantine tank should they react to it!

• Like 2
nanolutionary

Holy cow man. I remember when you were asking for some LEDs and now look at you. It's beautiful!

I have well and truly been bitten by the reefing bug!

• Like 2
nanolutionary

Dang, why have I not seen this before!

That's turf algae.

Thanks for the I.D. and you've not seen it yet because I only recently changed my signature to include the tank and you've been swerving me ever since I used to confuse you with my strange thread titles!

Thanks for the I.D. and you've not seen it yet because I only recently changed my signature to include the tank and you've been swerving me ever since I used to confuse you with my strange thread titles!

Okay. Who are you and what have you done with whoever you were before you were you. :huh:

nanolutionary

Wow looks like you had a lot of algae there! It's definitely turf algae I've got isn't it.

So here's where I am with the treatment, started 22nd Feb dosing 6ml of Fauna Marin Ultra Algea [sic] X every two days.

Before:

A0DB233B-B6E5-491D-BF58-EADC350F8978.jpg

During:

9BD5FD61-3AA0-4ABB-B48A-5D079C325AE4.jpg

I'd say I'm about halfway through the treatment.

• Like 2
nanolutionary

Yesterday I witnessed behaviour that truly astounded me, to the point that I felt compelled to pry my sisters gaze from Keeping up with the Kardashian's towards me gleefully explaining how the largest of my Maroon Clownfish was feeding it's host anemone, I didn't realise this behaviour occurred but there it was right in front of my eyes! All of the other fish were doing their usual manic dash to try and grab as many scraps as possible in the allotted 30 second time-frame but my largest Maroon meandered between them selecting piece by piece which food to hold in its mouth and spit back out again at the anemone. I had thought this week that the fish hasn't been eating well but now I realise it is feeding the anemone.

Amazing! Well, I thought so, all I got from my sister was a perfectly plucked raised eyebrow!

• Like 7
CronicReefer

That's really cool that your clown is hosting your anemone so well and even feeding it like that. I've always wanted my clowns to host my frogspawn or hammer but they seem to enjoy the return nozzle the most. I really enjoy your aquascape as well, keep up the good work!