Coral Vue Hydros

Bubba's DIY 21.8 Gallon Coast 2 Coast - Coral En Route!

Bubba30

• 1 month later...

Unproductive month outside of working my ass off. Getting into the swing of things now and was able to get all the mud, tape, and prime/painting done. I'm looking for some thin PVC sheets to cover the wood shelf under the sump so splashes aren't a concern. Then I'll glue up the plumbing and it is off to the races. While the tank cycles I am going to figure out all the electrical and automation.

post-76224-0-52474500-1461527931_thumb.jpeg

She's plumbed in and glued up. I guess I fill it with water now?

I found some thin FRP to top the plywood under the sump and have thin PVC trim around the whole thing to keep any water away from the Sheetrock.

• Like 3

post-76224-0-76017900-1461790958_thumb.jpeg

RO/DI is cracked on one of my brand new canister's lids. Losing pressure and water is slow going. Thinking about getting some distilled water to hurry the process up a bit.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

RO/DI is cracked on one of my brand new canister's lids. Losing pressure and water is slow going. Thinking about getting some distilled water to hurry the process up a bit.

please do so we can all drool at it!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

post-76224-0-80330300-1466778813_thumb.jpeg

So I decided to downgrade the return pump as it was just too much flow for the sump. In the process I discovered the overflow was noisy so I ended up taking off the false back wall, made an acrylic overflow box behind the wall, and siliconed the wall back in. It runs silent now and barely any water washes back into the sump when the return pump is off. I also had to reconfigure the return nozzle to get it up to the surface. Everything is rocking now. I had to redo the scape a bit as it broke apart on me. I added a little archway on the left side. Starting the fishless cycle today adding bacteria and pure ammonia. I'm getting impatient. I want some fishes.

She is cycling! It has really been a long time coming. I am reading but not believing that the cycle could be complete in a week. I plan on dosing bacteria every day as I test parameters.

• 2 weeks later...

post-76224-0-38192000-1468018003_thumb.jpeg

Looks like ammonia is starting to drop. Has been over 2 ppm for 12 days. I'm using dry rock and Microbacter7. I am ready for some life in this beast.

• 4 weeks later...

Added my CUC last week. Added a cardinal fish and a six line today. They seemed happy in the tank; little panic when both had disappeared after dinner. The six line found a tight hole in the rock and the cardinal was up under the cave turning in for the night I suppose.

I'm going to wait a month and add some onyx clowns I've got on order if all goes well. I will probably try some corals in a week or two.

My son is three and asked me if the cardinal fish had babies in its mouth. I am pretty proud he remembered they are mouthbrooders.

It was a really fun day.

Daddy needs a new Nikon lenses for Christmas.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

post-76224-0-82304600-1486323930_thumb.jpg

I am hooking up the peristaltic pumps I have been using for water changes. They pump about 800 ml/minute on a timer to run 6 minutes a day changing a gallon at a time. It has been working out pretty well so in anticipation of my first coral arriving next week I am going to get serious about stabilizing my parameters.

post-76224-0-66277100-1486324265_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the coral en route... I'm excited. Waited 4 months after fish to get coral started.

• Like 2

I've got a nice nano reactor DIY in the works as well. Waiting on laser cut parts. Blue to match my skimmer and pumps. I'll be running Phosguard and Matrix Carbon in there with 160 gph flow.

• Like 1

Dood. I just read through your thread and about halfway through, I realized the time lapse. I'm glad to see things have come together for you in the tank. Look forward to an FTS~

• Like 1
lilmatty5dimes

IMG_5153.JPG

I am hooking up the peristaltic pumps I have been using for water changes. They pump about 800 ml/minute on a timer to run 6 minutes a day changing a gallon at a time. It has been working out pretty well so in anticipation of my first coral arriving next week I am going to get serious about stabilizing my parameters.

IMG_5154.JPG

Here are some of the coral en route... I'm excited. Waited 4 months after fish to get coral started.

Where did you find that golden torch on the bottom left?

Dood. I just read through your thread and about halfway through, I realized the time lapse. I'm glad to see things have come together for you in the tank. Look forward to an FTS~

Thanks. I've just been swamped with work. It's good to take things slow in this hobby but I am on an entirely new level.

Where did you find that golden torch on the bottom left?

All my purchases were from The Coral Dudes out of NY. $80 per head.

Now that I've got some coral in there I will clean it up and snap a shot tomorrow morning. Really disappointed the seller didn't ship two of my torches; the whole reason I decided to pull the trigger and spend $500 with them. I'm getting a refund and looking around locally. Tank is still bare with 8 frags.

Now that I've got some coral in there I will clean it up and snap a shot tomorrow morning. Really disappointed the seller didn't ship two of my torches; the whole reason I decided to pull the trigger and spend $500 with them. I'm getting a refund and looking around locally. Tank is still bare with 8 frags.

That sucks! I'm sure you find another~

Cheap DIY reactor until my acrylic build is done. $15 including the pump.

post-76224-0-61353000-1486842656_thumb.jpg

Awesome build! I'd love to see a FTS! It's no wonder you're getting all those promotions at work. You're a dedicated bad-ass!

FTS:

post-76224-0-30814400-1486842780_thumb.jpg

Looking really meh but I never take before/after pictures so this should serve as a nice before shot.

The coral shop is going to find a yellow torch and greeen/pink to ship to me plus freebies. Once they are ready to ship I am going to make another order with him. Everything is pretty happy aside from the rastas. They started to open a little bit so just waiting them out.