Top Shelf Aquatics

skyscraper's PicO III (Picture dump 4/13 and top down shots 4/14)

skyscraper2290

skyscraper2290

love that cliff

Thanks ninja, how is your tank doing since having BJ. Where you able to take care of it? It's a bummer something happened to your euph garden. Glad I at least have one person checking out my tank haha

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ninja, how is your tank doing since having BJ. Where you able to take care of it? It's a bummer something happened to your euph garden. Glad I at least have one person checking out my tank haha

it seems to have stopped. it's kinda depressing to look at the frogspawns and hammers with dead heads. Maybe I will buy some fragging tools to remove just the dead heads.

skyscraper2290

it seems to have stopped. it's kinda depressing to look at the frogspawns and hammers with dead heads. Maybe I will buy some fragging tools to remove just the dead heads.

Ya as you can see in one of my top down shots you can see the dead heads of one of my hammer's, pretty sad to see but I have kinda surrounded it so it isn't as noticeable anymore, glad to hear that the issue stopped at least

skyscraper2290

So the past couple days I have noticed one of the first zoa frags that I put in the tank was really not doing well and today it definitely had gotten worse. I noticed some giant looking amphipods? crawling around on the base of the polyps. I am really unsure what these are and I do admit I haven't done a whole lot of research to try to figure out what exactly is going on because I have been so busy with work and school and everything else so I was hoping to get some help here. Here are the pics anyway, the first one I circled two of the little buggers and the second picture is pretty much the same but without the circles. I tried to overexpose the shots so you could see the inside of the frag. Also as you can see there is a white sponge at the base on the left side which I have removed since taking the pictures tonight. Once again thank you for any help I really appreciate it.

_DSC6020_zpstltk56on.jpg

_DSC6021_zpsfmljdph6.jpg

skyscraper2290

So took the zoas in the previous picture out of the tank and did a fifteen minute dip in coral revive in old tank water, then did a short dip in RO and i am still waiting to see if this will help. In other news I will probably be moving within a month, only about a 45 minute move away, but anyways I am going to be doing a lot of extra WC's and slowly siphoning out the sand and after the move might change the scape a bit for added stability and keep it BB. If I do this I might move some of the zoas off the rock work and try to get them to spread on the bottom and add a few more sticks. I tested nitrate yesterday before my WC today and they were just about undetectable on the Red Sea test kit. So the protein skimmer and additional WC's have definitely been helping keep the water free of any nasties. Finally took the tripod out for a bit today so I could boost up the f/stop on my camera to get more coral and everything in focus so here are the pictures from that.... hope everyone likes them

_DSC6037_zpsx72nrrk7.jpg

_DSC6042_zpsg8uqkox2.jpg

_DSC6047_zpsoq0b40ye.jpg

_DSC6050_zpsjokhbben.jpg

_DSC6052_zpsmrvskudx.jpg

_DSC6056_zps1j46kosv.jpg

_DSC6061_zpsbtyledka.jpg

_DSC6063_zpsxv1bvfk6.jpg

_DSC6065_zpslelir0gz.jpg

_DSC6076_zpsj9oklpet.jpg

_DSC6084_zpscuqogx3d.jpg

skyscraper2290

rics look great. for the zoa problem, maybe get a sixline? read they are great for pests.

I was actually really close to going to my LFS about 90 miles away today ha, but I have been thinking about getting a six line and I also would really like a clown goby too. I posted the pic of the zoas in the disease and pest forum and someone thought it could be a fungal infection and recommended a furan dip. With where I live and still being a bit of a noob I figured that would be my last option so I went with the revive and RO dip for now to see if that would help. But I definitely want to see get 2 more fish total for the tank especially after seeing consistency of the low nitrates for the past couple weeks now. However when it comes to this hobby I have a thing for having odd numbers in the tank haha.

rics look great. for the zoa problem, maybe get a sixline? read they are great for pests.

I had amphipods in my tank. Got a sixline wrasse and they were completely gone within 48 hours.

skyscraper2290

I love the pictures and your tank. It will be interesting to see it BB. Good luck with the move.

Thanks tatertot, I feel like the pictures have gotten better since I got the tank, and ya BB should be interesting and I can always add sand back it. And ya its a short move so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I had amphipods in my tank. Got a sixline wrasse and they were completely gone within 48 hours.

Did you notice if they were doing damage to anything?

skyscraper2290

So took some more close up pictures of the coral, trying to take my time more with a tripod and shooting around f/16-f/18, also used a different lens trying to get a bit better of a zoom. So without further ado here are the pictures.

Acans

_DSC6175_zpsr8tdnndk.jpg

_DSC6145_zpslbsa9zmf.jpg

_DSC6133_zps9btzflpx.jpg

New Rics

_DSC6094_zps8msarx4p.jpg

_DSC6091_zps4cmnomjp.jpg

Zoas

_DSC6097_zpsyl1cel4f.jpg

_DSC6104_zps43lgf7qn.jpg

_DSC6137_zpsywjmeter.jpg

_DSC6147_zpsidqvkxx6.jpg

_DSC6149_zpszw7j29do.jpg

_DSC6154_zpscebk1023.jpg

_DSC6176_zpsgtrsavuy.jpg

Desert Cactus

_DSC6166_zps27xllth9.jpg

Acro

_DSC6160_zpsaqus8wax.jpg

skyscraper2290

So got some great news today, my duo is officially on its way back. Hopefully I will have it at the beginning of next week. I had the new array put in it as well as had it changed over to a gooseneck mount. Unfortunately I will have to get a timer for the Par 38 bulb because I am going out of town tomorrow night and won't be back till Sunday. No big deal though because I will just use it for a future tank. I have thought about putting together a basic 5 gallon tank to act as a more permanent frag/qt tank and so I will have everything I need besides the tank, which I might actually have, but even if I don't it's basically the cheapest part of a build anyway haha.

skyscraper2290

So got back from my little vacation and the tank is doing great which is always a big relief when getting home. Everything is growing, including the SPS look like they are all encrusting the plugs nicely. I will be mixing up some fresh water for a WC tomorrow which will get me right back on schedule for my WC's. I'm hoping I can add another fish or 2 soon depending on the next time I can get to the LFS.

Love your tank and I can't wait to see it all lit up when the Duo gets back :)

How are your problem zoas doing? I have big pods in my 4g tank and I've wondered if they bother my zoas or if I also have a fungal problem.

skyscraper2290

Love your tank and I can't wait to see it all lit up when the Duo gets back :)

How are your problem zoas doing? I have big pods in my 4g tank and I've wondered if they bother my zoas or if I also have a fungal problem.

Thanks! That's saying quite a bit from you with your current TOTM, I also can't wait to get the duo up and running over the tank again, had an issue with the power supply so it unfortunately is going back to Dave on Thursday but hopefully it's a quick fix.

The zoa that was having the most issues I ended up having to pull out of the tank as it started to melt and wasn't showing any signs of recovering. For the most part though be rest are doing great, but I have noticed some of the zoas up higher near the problem zoas aren't opening quite as wel now so I'm keeping an eye on them and really hoping it isn't a fungal issue. I'm hoping I can pick up a six line this week and that will take care of the amphipods.

Sorry to hear that the zoa didn't make it. Hopefully the rest will be OK. Finger crossed for a quick fix on the duo :)

skyscraper2290

Sorry to hear that the zoa didn't make it. Hopefully the rest will be OK. Finger crossed for a quick fix on the duo :)

Ya it sounds like it should be a pretty quick fix and I'll have it up over the tank soon and then I can get some new pictures, really excited to see how everything looks under it again because of all the new stuff. Haven't seen it with a bit more blue to it.

skyscraper2290

So went to the LFS yesterday and ended up picking up a six line wrasse and a fire fish. The fire fish has been out and about since getting in the tank, the six line was hiding at first but had been venturing out today and both are already eating which im happy about. I'm hoping the six line can start getting the amphipod population in check.

I also picked up a nice size drag of birdsnest, a small frag of tenuous which is one of my new favorite pieces, another acro, and then a 4 polyp zoa frag which has white skirts and then a purple center.

I really need to stop buying any coral and now I'm fully stocked on fish as well, now I just got to resist the temptation I buy any more corals until a second tank haha

I love your close up pics and your tank is looking awesome!

I really want a Six-Line, but I am afraid he would bully my other fishies. I will be curious to see how yours works out.

My first experience with a firefish has not been that great either... I have not seen it in 2 weeks and I am assuming it is a goner.

skyscraper2290

I love your close up pics and your tank is looking awesome!

I really want a Six-Line, but I am afraid he would bully my other fishies. I will be curious to see how yours works out.

My first experience with a firefish has not been that great either... I have not seen it in 2 weeks and I am assuming it is a goner.

Thanks, the most recent one I just used a reverse mount for m 50mm and took it hand held. The six line I got is definitely young and with the clowns being nice and established now. I have had the lid on the tank since we got a dog so I am hoping that will take care of the fire fish possibly jumping.

I actually was meaning to reply to your thread but I was busy at work, I hope he comes out randomly for ya, never fun to lose a fish. Your tank is looking good, glad to see you got your algae issue under control

After seeing your pics, I might try another firefish, but I am not sure yet... I do actually have a top on my tank, so that is why I cannot really figure out what happened. Unless it jumped out when I took the top off to feed, but you think I would have noticed.

skyscraper2290

After seeing your pics, I might try another firefish, but I am not sure yet... I do actually have a top on my tank, so that is why I cannot really figure out what happened. Unless it jumped out when I took the top off to feed, but you think I would have noticed.

Did you have the glass or mesh top? They are definitely beautiful fish, I'm excited that mine hasn't been hiding at all

Great firefish! So lucky yours is not shy. I had 4 firefish so far. First two was very shy and jumpy. Current 2 been doing great and always out and about. Took them about 2 weeks to get comfy in the tank.

All your coral pics look great. Keep us updated on how your sixline is doing. I loved mine before giving it away so I can get a pair of firefish instead.

Archived