ReefCleaners.org

skyscraper's PicO III (Picture dump 4/13 and top down shots 4/14)

skyscraper2290

skyscraper2290

Great firefish! So lucky yours is not shy. I had 4 firefish so far. First two was very shy and jumpy. Current 2 been doing great and always out and about. Took them about 2 weeks to get comfy in the tank.

All your coral pics look great. Keep us updated on how your sixline is doing. I loved mine before giving it away so I can get a pair of firefish instead.

Thanks! I was actually expecting the fire fish to be shy and the six line to be out and about instantly but it was the opposite. The six line hid in a little crevice of LR right when it got in the tank and didn't come out at all till this morning but is slowly venturing around more. I'll try to get a pic of him but he is a speedy and shy little guy. Will definitely update how he is doing. Haven't seen any aggression besides the clowns when the other fish get too close to the nem.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
skyscraper2290

New page, more new fish pictures...

Big Bertha

_DSC7178_zpsethvc8c8.jpg

_DSC7183_zpsfelnxwsm.jpg

Ziggy the Six line

_DSC7120_zpsssjznvoe.jpg

_DSC7123_zpsctfzbcht.jpg

_DSC7139_zpsnroltcj2.jpg

_DSC7115_zpsqcn8saxv.jpg

_DSC7169_zpspk5xn9ej.jpg

And one more of Gill the fire fish

_DSC7064_zpss9ek1bfq.jpg

skyscraper2290

So the six line is definitely doing his job, already have seen him just hunting the rocks and eating some of the amphipods. Definitely pumped about that, and no aggression between the fish yet. Also the fire fish is still out and about all the time, really happy it ended up not being shy.

skyscraper2290

So was hoping to get some help... I have a total of 5 acans and they have been doing great and there is already new heads popping up on each one. I just picked up some new SPS and want to move some zoas that I have higher up in my tank a little lower but don't have a ton of room. Should I remove the acans, can also move a blasto and try to put them on the sand bed? Should I try to group them together on one rock? I could also possibly add another smaller piece of dry rock to make an acan rock, but don't know how much room I can really generate with the rock I have in the tank. Any ideas or advice would be really helpful, thanks everyone

skyscraper2290

acans do better attached to a rock. on the sand bed, they grow into a little ball. i notice the ones i have that are attached to the rock pops out new heads more than the one on the sand bed.

Do you think I could bunch them closer together on a single rock to free up a little space for zoas to be moved down from higher up?

skyscraper2290

So tweaked the tank a little while I was doing a WC today, moved the new SPS I got last week up towards the top of my taller rock while also bringing some of the zoa's from higher up to down low. Still have about 3 zoa frags to remount though. I also put all the acans on the same rock. Unfortunately my favorite piece, the tenuous, broke in half while I was breaking up the frag plug, so it is quite small now but polyps are already coming out again so at least that's a good sign. Took a few pictures of the new pieces and I will get a new FTS once everything is happy again.

skyscraper2290

Also I have started noticing the clowns being dicks to the firefish, before they would only hang out by the nem but now they are kinda going all over the tank and picking on the fire fish. Kinda curious if anyone has any advice, I was possibly thinking getting a breeder box and putting the clowns in there but not sure if this would be the best choice. If worse comes to worse I could bring the fire fish back because I don't want it to get killed.

skyscraper2290

So large picture dump, spent some time with the 50mm with a reverse mount to get some more close up shots as well as the same lens with a few different extension tubes. Also took out the rokinon 14mm (awesome lens, is manual focus though) to get some new FTS now that I got pretty much everything mounted or remounted. Pretty happy with how the tank is doing right now. So I will start off with the tank shots then get down to coral and fish, hope everyone enjoys.

_DSC7445_zpsev0bdlar.jpg

_DSC7439_zpses6gs9lq.jpg

_DSC7437_zpszsyvbum9.jpg

Only shot I could get of Ziggy, he kept hiding because of the camera

_DSC7421_zps1tjdfhmo.jpg

_DSC7410_zpsqekyrnfq.jpg

_DSC7312_zpsfurzbhkv.jpg

_DSC7336_zpssgxkz6zt.jpg

_DSC7304_zps63rtvvc8.jpg

_DSC7245_zpstgpgkias.jpg

_DSC7248_zps7djez3ou.jpg

_DSC7254_zpsdjcmuejl.jpg

_DSC7257_zpsqq2fii92.jpg

_DSC7264_zpszqevs66p.jpg

_DSC7265_zpsovbeb2fc.jpg

_DSC7272_zpscohedtjs.jpg

_DSC7277_zpsev5lx0ho.jpg

_DSC7279_zpsebnr0cfh.jpg

_DSC7280_zpscp7tnuka.jpg

_DSC7285_zps0jwpdxym.jpg

_DSC7287_zpsyjy7styh.jpg

_DSC7290_zpsed2fnqmb.jpg

_DSC7293_zpscyc8aqma.jpg

_DSC7301_zpsre095kjo.jpg

_DSC7303_zpsjzq28y9e.jpg

_DSC7307_zpsagdnjy6o.jpg

_DSC7372_zpsgsz4ln5r.jpg

_DSC7376_zpsbezm6u3u.jpg

The piece of tenuos, one of my favorite pieces, hope it still grows nicely after I broke part of it. Seems to be doing good though.

_DSC7384_zps1wgrwl4e.jpg

_DSC7391_zpsa8mz04os.jpg

_DSC7430_zpsospbtzef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
skyscraper2290

So it seems that the wrasse is starting to show some aggression to the fire fish. I have been trying to feed more to hopefully see less aggression but it does not seem to be working. There is a good chance I will bring the fire fish back to the LFS. I might try to get another fish when I do this, something a little more aggressive that will be able to hold its own. I was thinking a chalk bass possibly, but am definitely open to suggestions.

skyscraper2290

So took a few quick shots of some corals under the duo so here you guys go, I'll probably Do large picture dump my next day off. Definitely enjoy having the control of the light again and being able to boost blues some more. Enjoy.

_DSC7708_zpsc0ozzezz.jpg

_DSC7715_zps68i1cuqa.jpg

_DSC7728_zpsb7ikvzc9.jpg

_DSC7730_zpsjqesllcf.jpg

_DSC7736_zpspt2o2fcy.jpg

_DSC7726_zpsh3zjkeaj.jpg

_DSC7723_zpsh1j1qvqq.jpg

_DSC7719_zpspuoltd85.jpg

_DSC7717_zpsrhjxp3b7.jpg

_DSC7713_zpsza7gsmap.jpg

_DSC7710_zpsscvmsl4m.jpg

These were all shot with my nikon d7000 handheld at around 1600 ISO f/4 or so and shutter was around 1/60th. Used the 50mm (approximately 75mm on dx frame) with a 20mm extension tube.

They look great! Those acans look very very healthy :)

I'd like to play around with a higher ISO setting with my camera, but that seems to be one of the biggest improvements in the newer cameras. My old D60 just doesn't do a great job at ISO1600 :(

skyscraper2290

They look great! Those acans look very very healthy :)

I'd like to play around with a higher ISO setting with my camera, but that seems to be one of the biggest improvements in the newer cameras. My old D60 just doesn't do a great job at ISO1600 :(

Thanks teeny! I feel like the tank has been doing really well and I really like the acans. It really is amazing how far camera technology has come, I really like the D7000 but am actually getting to the point where I might get a D800 or switch to the Sony full frame mirrorless system. I really enjoy photographing the stars and having a camera that can handle high ISO is key. I kind of consider my Nikon on the older side as camera companies have made significant improvements since I got it.

skyscraper2290

O and I finally am actually moving, luckily its about a ten minute drive from my current place so it shouldn't be too bad. I plan on moving all my other stuff and doing the tank last. My plan is to get a few more 5 gallon buckets and put the large cliff rock in its own bucket, the larger rock on the left in its own bucket, and the 3 smaller rocks in another bucket and then possibly do fish and inverts in a different bucket or bag them. I am thinking I should be able to have between 3-4 gallons of water in each bucket so I will have between 9-12 gallons of tank water and then I will have at the new house new saltwater to make up the difference. Probably will wait till my days off next week to move the tank to give myself a full day to be dedicated to it. I will also be removing all the sand and rinsing it with the remaining tank water and work on giving the tank a thorough cleaning, somewhat like what teeny did with his tank. Also will try to crush as many vermentid snails as I possibly can.

skyscraper2290

Was watching the tank just now and I noticed I didn't see Gill the fire fish swimming around so looked in his normal place that he sleeps and didn't see him..... did a walk around the tank and found him dead on the ground :(:(:( He must have jumped when I had the top off while I was cleaning it and doing a WC. So bummed out about it because he was such a pretty fish...

That sucks, sorry to hear about that. The photos look great though. I need to breakout the DSLR for a tank session but I get tired of having that thing in my hand so much haha. Pics of the Acans look Sick though! :bling:

skyscraper2290

Thanks, it's a bummer but it comes with this hobby I guess. Don't know when or if I will replace him. Ya the DSLR can be a pain sometimes but the results are usually worth it.

Sorry to hear about the fish... I know your feeling though.

I am still waiting on my replacement for my jumper...

skyscraper2290

Ya it's not the best experience. I only had the top off for about 20 minutes and I have had the top off before with no issues. Any ideas what you will replace yours with?

Yeah I had all my fish for over 1 year and never had any issues with the top being off for feeding or water changes. One day he just decided to jump when I was not looking...

I am replacing my black & white clownfish (jumper) with a 4 Line Wrasse (aka 12 Line Wrasse). They are suppose to get smaller and be a little less aggressive than the 6 Line...

skyscraper2290

Will that be your only fish in there? Or do you still have the other clown I can't remember. Any other fish plans or are you gonna keep the amount of fish to a small amount? I have possibly been thinking a chalk bass to replace the fire fish

Will that be your only fish in there? Or do you still have the other clown I can't remember. Any other fish plans or are you gonna keep the amount of fish to a small amount? I have possibly been thinking a chalk bass to replace the fire fish

I had 2 clownfish (regular and black&white), a Hi-Fin Goby (with pistol shrimp), and a Tailspot Blenny... So 4 fish total...

With 1 clownfish gone, I am down to 3 fish so the 4-Line Wrasse would bring me up to 4 again...

I place the order for the 4-Line Wrasse over a month ago --- apparently they are hard to get :blink:

I always thought the Chalk Bass looked too much like a fresh water fish... I like the "Gold Assessor Basslet" -- it looks cool and it swims upside down :D

Archived