Coral Vue Hydros

~ Allure ~ What water change?

Chew_Magna

Nope. Was jerky when I found it, freezing cold too (was 60 in here at the time). I had just fed them a couple hours prior to finding it. This literally happened 8 feet behind me while I was sitting here at the computer...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been sitting here listening to Stone Sour and Skindred and screwing around in SketchUp and came up with something that I'd love to do.

Introducing the Dueling Towers Concept

11168002143_68641474ae_o.jpg
Now my SketchUp skills aren't all that and I don't know how to do some things in it, but picture both tanks drilled on the back panel for an overflow and return nozzle.
This setup would be two 10 gallon hex tanks side by side over a 40b sump. One would be a reef, the other a macro display.

AND HE GOES ALLLL THHHEEEEE WAAAYYYYYYY!

Nope. Was jerky when I found it, freezing cold too (was 60 in here at the time). I had just fed them a couple hours prior to finding it. This literally happened 8 feet behind me while I was sitting here at the computer...

Dang that sucks man :closedeyes:

Cool set up you got here, I really like that floating island type thing you got going. Also like that two hex concept you got going there, I say go for it!

Damn bro! Just when you get something good going! Bam! This happens. Sorry to hear it. Maybe he heard milk prices were going up!!.. You know just saying. All joking aside the tank is so good looking now it's scary!

I think i found you something. The tower of all towers!

IMG_20807473806278_zps53b69ca4.jpg

Don't ask me why there is an @ss shot, but a tower none the less. One of the lfs that trades equipment.

Sorry about your fish :( was that your citron?

That was the diadema dottyback. :( The second dottyback I've lost for no reason.

Damn bro! Just when you get something good going! Bam! This happens. Sorry to hear it. Maybe he heard milk prices were going up!!.. You know just saying. All joking aside the tank is so good looking now it's scary!

Thanks man for the consolation and the compliment!

I think i found you something. The tower of all towers!

IMG_20807473806278_zps53b69ca4.jpg

Don't ask me why there is an @ss shot, but a tower none the less. One of the lfs that trades equipment.

Drool..... I'm all about some hex tanks now and that's something to look forward to in the future. That's probably what, 75 gallons going by the brute beside it?

Happened right behind me and I didn't even hear it...

1425468_10201916928916715_278513009_o.jp

I've had fish jump out before. Sucks big time. Sorry for your loss. :(

But on a more upbeat note, I simply love your tank. And the gorgeous zoa collection you have going in there. The new lighting looks wonderful as well. :D

I've had fish jump out before. Sucks big time. Sorry for your loss. :(

But on a more upbeat note, I simply love your tank. And the gorgeous zoa collection you have going in there. The new lighting looks wonderful as well. :D

This is my 3rd jumper. :( The first two with lids on the tanks. :angry:

Ok my zoa collection is not gorgeous! LOL, the largest colony I have doesn't even have any color! :mellow:

This is my 3rd jumper. :( The first two with lids on the tanks. :angry:

Ok my zoa collection is not gorgeous! LOL, the largest colony I have doesn't even have any color! :mellow:

I've always wondered how on earth they (the fish) manage to find the tiniest gaps in the mesh lid and decide to jump out. It baffles me, to be honest. I've had jumpers even from my FW tank, but it's a double blow if I see something from my salty tank on the floor. Somehow I'm more attached to my salty tank, I guess.

Lol, it is gorgeous! Don't sell yourself short! :P

How are you liking the pvc overflow would you recommend it?

As for the ease of setting one up, maintaining it and cost it gets a full 5 stars.

The only thing I don't care much for is the aesthetics of it. It wasn't such a big thing (pun intended) in the 40b, but in this smaller tank it is kind of an eye sore. I almost used my old 3/4" overflow when I downgraded tank sizes but I wanted to be able to run my return pump at 100%, which allowed me to use it as a large source of water movement in the tank. I get about 400gph from the return while my powerhead is only 240gph.

You could look at it another way like I did with my floating rock scheme. It gives you a place to play with mounting. 1 1/4" is pretty dang sturdy and I could probably have mounted all my rock work on it with minimal stress to the overflow. I don't know if the tank could have handled all that weight on one panel though.

OK cool im bout to set up my sump again i have a eshopp pf300 that i will be using only problem is it looks so big on my 20long and its loud. i was thinking about using a pvc overflow im just not sure yet. oh btw i also follow you on youtube.

That large hex i posted a pic of is a 90. They want $110 for it

Btw atleast you have some awesome colored zoas, mine are a common dull brown!

Lol you just made me look at my subscribers for the first time. I'll give you a couple videos to look at, I used these as references when I made mine.

This is the best at explaining it.

This is another one I was thinking about making for the 40b when it was running. This would work really well for longer tanks like your 20 long as it gives you two actual surface overflows. It's the same principle, it uses two overflows T'd together to create one.

Depending on your return pump and how much flow you want going through it will determine what size pvc you use. The 1 1/4" I'm using right now can easily handle more flow than my return can put out and because of that it isn't exactly quiet. I get a quiet waterfall sound from it. It isn't really noticeable to me at all though.

Cost is the other great thing with this. You can buy the pvc, fittings, glue and a ratchet pvc cutter (HIGHLY recommended) for $40 or less depending on what size pvc you use. Of course paint is optional, if you do want to paint it use Krylon Fusion. The Fusion stuff binds to plastics on a molecular level and will never flake off in the tank.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Growing up we had a few tanks around the house, but the only salt tank was our 30 gallon hex. It was fish only. My stepdad still has it set up, but as fresh water. I'm going show him your little hex and see if I can convince him to turn it into a reef tank. I bet he still has the parts for the old wet/dry filter it had. :)

Edit: fresh water

That large hex i posted a pic of is a 90. They want $110 for it

Btw atleast you have some awesome colored zoas, mine are a common dull brown!

That's not a bad price at all. It is about $110 more than I currently have though.

Growing up we had a few tanks around the house, but the only salt tank was our 30 gallon hex. It was fish only. My stepdad still has it set up, but as feast water. I'm going show him your little hex and see if I can convince him to turn it into a reef tank. I bet he still has the parts for the old wet/dry filter it had. :)

That would be awesome! I think hex tanks are highly underrated. I can understand why some people don't like them, the distortion isn't for everyone. Still better than a bow front... ugh, I hate those things.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I'm partial to them, probably because I've always had one. Since they have more vertical than horizontal space, I think that puts people off too...harder to stock successfully.

Such a cool and innovative tank! The floating rock looks great in there.

Sorry about your recent fish loss :( Are you planning on replacing it?

I'm partial to them, probably because I've always had one. Since they have more vertical than horizontal space, I think that puts people off too...harder to stock successfully.

Yeah you do have to be very livestock conscious when you stock these tanks. For marine environments they're great for perching fish like a lot of gobies and blennies.

Such a cool and innovative tank! The floating rock looks great in there.

Sorry about your recent fish loss :( Are you planning on replacing it?

No I won't be replacing it. Actually I needed to trim down my fish anyway, I just didn't plan on doing it like this. When I transferred from the 40b I was in a hurry so I moved all the fish as well. The original plan was to trade the dottyback and chromis for possible store credit or maybe a coral. I still need to get the chromis out.

Archived