Top Shelf Aquatics

40B Tang Hangout

GHill762

you liking the effect the t5's have? It looks pretty sweet from here. What bulbs did you end up giving a shot?

I'm loving it. I'm using coral+ and I think they're perfect. Shows colors that were missing under led alone.

Tank is starting to get back on track too. Sps are coloring back up quickly.

15498018934_dc57329e68_h.jpg

15933057190_12db4fbcec_k.jpg

Currently I'm running the T5s for about 6 hours and I've turned both led channels down (whites nearly off). I'll start to bring the blues back up a bit in a week or so.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same light . How do I turn the LCD screen off on my ReefBreeder ?

Hold the left arrow for a few seconds on either the remote or the unit itself, it'll turn right off. do the same to turn it back on.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

not a great picture, but I liked the angle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/16301593041/'>16301593041_72b746972b_c.jpg

anyone ever use blacklight over their reef? pretty cool :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/16082361767/'>16082361767_e74693dee4_c.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/15645744664/'>15645744664_fa26e06044_c.jpg

and latest FTS, just a cellphone pic. one of these days I might get my camera out and snap some better ones. tank is also still recovering, but things are looking better all the time. I also got a random urge to clean the back glass the other day, not sure about it, maybe I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/16324312182/'>16324312182_ba6c572dfe_c.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great

how dafuq have I missed this tank thread.

It's been dead for months, I slacked last summer and I've been paying for it ever since.

well, I scraped the back glass and here is the result.. I need to learn how to use my camera, everything looks dull and faded, I get better pictures with my phone :rolleyes:

what am I doing wrong?

16185144990_6e055833a6_c.jpg

16168414278_c4a97ee084_c.jpg

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Well, you stripped the EXIF data from the pics so I can't see what camera you're using or what settings. But it looks like you're using a very high ISO, which will add noise to the photo (aka grain).

Well, you stripped the EXIF data from the pics so I can't see what camera you're using or what settings. But it looks like you're using a very high ISO, which will add noise to the photo (aka grain).

you overestimate my abilities :lol: maybe you're not seeing it becuase I downloaded them to my phone from the camera and cropped/edited them with my phone then uploaded to flickr.

it's a nikon P600, it's a point and shoot but supposed to be a decent one, idk.. It takes really good crisp pictures but I haven't used it enough to be comfortable with all the settings, and I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned about photography from when I took 2 semesters of it like 9 years ago.

I switched settings a few times so I couldn't tell you what I was on for each individual picture. I had ISO set to max out at 400. I also tried full auto and I tried the macro setting for some closeup pics.

here's are both of those images completely uneditied, not even cropped (see how crooked they are :o )

15750361454_105a5518fc_c.jpg

16346807776_724fc3f29a_c.jpg

• Like 1

you overestimate my abilities :lol: maybe you're not seeing it becuase I downloaded them to my phone from the camera and cropped/edited them with my phone then uploaded to flickr.

it's a nikon P600, it's a point and shoot but supposed to be a decent one, idk.. It takes really good crisp pictures but I haven't used it enough to be comfortable with all the settings, and I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned about photography from when I took 2 semesters of it like 9 years ago.

I switched settings a few times so I couldn't tell you what I was on for each individual picture. I had ISO set to max out at 400. I also tried full auto and I tried the macro setting for some closeup pics.

here's are both of those images completely uneditied, not even cropped (see how crooked they are :o )

15750361454_105a5518fc_c.jpg

16346807776_724fc3f29a_c.jpg

So you took a pic with a quality camera and then uploaded to a phone for editing.

There you go. :)

I can't see the images because you're using an embed that is blocked at work. If you can provide the https links I can usually see them.

So you took a pic with a quality camera and then uploaded to a phone for editing.

There you go. :)

I can't see the images because you're using an embed that is blocked at work. If you can provide the https links I can usually see them.

:slap: that could be it.. actually on a computer screen the undedited ones look better, but on my phone the edited ones look better :huh: they both look worse than pics I take with my phone though..

like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/16346807776/

• Like 1

I think I just need more practice with my camera..

also, I think you may be on to something with the editor on my phone, I've noticed picture quality decreases when I edit even with pics I take on my phone. like they lose data or something because they become grainy and have less detail. my phone is an LG g3 and has no camera settings in the camera, all changes have to be made after the picture is taken, so the image is of pretty good quality but they're always undersaturated and the lighting is off (over or under).

but as far as the phone itself, it's capable of shooting video in 4k ultra high definition, I don't think downloading them to my phone then uploading to flickr is going to cause data loss is it?

you're using sunblaster strips for the two T5? Do you have a kill-a-watt?

nope, I know we discussed this though and I may get one sometime. I have other ballasts I can wire in if I ever feel like I'm having an issue, those ballasts are capable of running 2x24 watt. so far I feel like the addition of the sublaster strips is working well, even if they aren't being run optimally.

jedimasterben

nope, I know we discussed this though and I may get one sometime. I have other ballasts I can wire in if I ever feel like I'm having an issue, those ballasts are capable of running 2x24 watt. so far I feel like the addition of the sublaster strips is working well, even if they aren't being run optimally.

How often are you willing to replace the bulbs? If they aren't being run at the proper wattage (among other things, such as how they start, temperature, etc), then they'll either outright fail early or will significantly change their spectral output in short order, especially if they're being run as low as what mine was doing.

How often are you willing to replace the bulbs? If they aren't being run at the proper wattage (among other things, such as how they start, temperature, etc), then they'll either outright fail early or will significantly change their spectral output in short order, especially if they're being run as low as what mine was doing.

I wouldn't care that much if they had to be replaced every 6-8 months.

I think I'll pick up a kil-a-watt in the next few weeks and see what it says, mostly out of curiosity. the donor fixture I'd get a ballast out of is broken anyway so it's really only my laziness stopping me.. you're gonna keep on me until I change the ballast on them aren't you? :lol:

I think I'd be more worried about it if the T5's were stand alone rather than supplement, I still run both LED channels.

jedimasterben

I wouldn't care that much if they had to be replaced every 6-8 months.

I think I'll pick up a kil-a-watt in the next few weeks and see what it says, mostly out of curiosity. the donor fixture I'd get a ballast out of is broken anyway so it's really only my laziness stopping me.. you're gonna keep on me until I change the ballast on them aren't you? :lol:

I think I'd be more worried about it if the T5's were stand alone rather than supplement, I still run both LED channels.

:lol:

No, it's more curiosity to figure out if mine is a fluke or if others are having the same experience.

• Like 1

:slap: that could be it.. actually on a computer screen the undedited ones look better, but on my phone the edited ones look better :huh: they both look worse than pics I take with my phone though..

like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/115806844@N04/16346807776/

Yep, that works. Monitor quality is a royal pain in the ass. Pictures that look too dark and oversaturated on my home computer look washed out on my tablet and work monitor.

Yep, that works. Monitor quality is a royal pain in the ass. Pictures that look too dark and oversaturated on my home computer look washed out on my tablet and work monitor.

I have that problem as well. I have 2 identical monitors on my work computer (one is probably a year older than the other) and I can't get the color to look the same on them, let alone between completely different devices.

I know nothing about monitors or electronics in general really, these are HP Compaq monitors, they seem pretty decent really, but I wish they were widescreen rather than squares. or just one big monitor.

jedimasterben

The Dell U2711 was the cream of the crop a few years ago (the 11 means it was a 2011 model). Has a Super-IPS screen that shows more colors than the Adobe sRGB space and I have it further calibrated via software. Only thing I don't like about it is that it uses over a 110w when on (which is more than my gaming computer does while idle or watching videos, etc) and it takes about 15 minutes to really stabilize the backlight and show true color.