Coral Vue Hydros

40B Tang Hangout

GHill762

Wish I'd have known. My son only had this 6 months - he's an adrenaline junkie but he said the only place he could really let loose on this was the racetrack. Traded it for a snowmobile (phew lol) I didn't know what it was until you just mentioned getting an R6....then I remembered the R6 logo on this thing.

r6.jpg

Your tank is looking AMAZING by the way. It's one of my inspiration tanks. I just love everything about it.

very pretty bike, love that deep red. I nearly bought an r6 last year, the insurance was ridiculous for me for full coverage, so I passed. I want to do some track days sometime.. not a lot of curvy roads around here, just a lot of flat farmground, so going fast is about the only way to have fun..

thanks for the compliments on the tank, it's doing okay :) my acro's are doing well, even the ones I brought back from nearly dead are getting more and more colorful. the new ones are encrusting on my rockwork already too.. maybe one of these days I'll borrow a real camera from someone and get some better shots..

aaaaaand I still haven't done a water change :unsure:

• Like 1

Yep, the race track was the only place he could get the bike to do what it was built for. He's had bikes since he was 6 years old (off road ones). I think he was put off a bit by everyone else on the road. He has a few close calls with people not even seeing he was there.

Glad your tank is doing so well. It can be a very rewarding hobby - at times lol.

• Like 1

Yep, the race track was the only place he could get the bike to do what it was built for. He's had bikes since he was 6 years old (off road ones). I think he was put off a bit by everyone else on the road. He has a few close calls with people not even seeing he was there.

Glad your tank is doing so well. It can be a very rewarding hobby - at times lol.

people are idiots, they'll pull out and cut you off and make you slam on the brakes then just wave like nothing happened or act like you did something wrong.. spring is the worst time for riders (people aren't used to looking for them), seems to get better as the riding season goes on..

TheTeenReefer

Question. What return kit do you have? Is it a 3/4 inch? Also what return pump do you have? Sorry if these questions have already been answered. BTW I just bought my glass 40 breeder tank. Soo excited!!!!!!

Your tank looks awesome so far.

thanks hype, that's a huge compliment coming from you :) I always love your tanks..

Question. What return kit do you have? Is it a 3/4 inch? Also what return pump do you have? Sorry if these questions have already been answered. BTW I just bought my glass 40 breeder tank. Soo excited!!!!!!

The return is a 3/4" I'm pretty sure.. I had a mag 7 and it was too much pump so I swapped it out with a mag 5 and I'm much happier with it. You should be excited! 40b's are awesome!
  • Like 1

Great looking tank, love the clam! Thanks for helping me out. Would you happen to have a pic of your sump now with everything in it? Curious how it's set up. I'm thinking of trying to clone your sump build.

Great looking tank, love the clam! Thanks for helping me out. Would you happen to have a pic of your sump now with everything in it? Curious how it's set up. I'm thinking of trying to clone your sump build.

Thanks for the compliments on the tank :)

water comes down the drain, goes through a filter sock in the first (farthest right) section - also where the skimmer is, then goes over the first baffle into the fuge section, then under the second baffle and over the last baffle into the return chamber. as you can see, I keep the fuge and return section at the same height - this keeps there from being a waterfall into the last chamber and keeps bubbles from entering the return pump. I hope that makes sense.. just let me know if you have any questions.. it's really not difficult. I'm a firm believer in KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid..

if you're not going to put macros in there you can skip the extra section. my last sump only had two sections. you would want a skimmer section, then a two or three wall bubble trap, then your return section..

here is what it looks like:

12779842095_67da59da69_c.jpg

Untitled by GHill762, on Flickr

12780286944_6e3b4e39c9_c.jpg

• Like 1

It has been pointed out to me on another forum (yes, they do exist) that my pictures look shadowy and dark around the ends and back of the tank, this is not the case at all - it is simply a product of the way I take pictures (or, rather, the way my phone takes pictures).. I think anyone who has taken phone pics under LED would already know this, but apparently not.

below are a few pictures to show that this tank is fully lit. the brightest spot is in the middle of the tank, this is the nature of LEDs, or any light source for that matter (look at the par/distribution charts for any LED fixture, they're highest par is in the center). My phone adjusts to the brightest part of the tank and dims everything else down as well, this makes the edges look very dark in the pictures. In person, the difference in brightness between the center and outter edges is hardly even noticeable, and the edges are MOST CERTAINLY not dark..

brace yourself for some very crappy washed out pictures.. lol..

here is a pic from last night from one end of the tank looking behind the rocks

12780712733_d1b31f6a28_c.jpg

here is an old pic shortly after getting the tank running

12779145093_7c3b8d41a2_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

updates?

not really.. I've had some growth and colors are doing well.. I haven't really done anything other than dose and feed and maybe clean the glass every now and then.. as the weather warms up I'm thinking less about fish and more about getting out on my motorcycle, in a couple months it'll all come back into balance..

March 29th I'm going to a frag swap so maybe I'll come home with some new goodies.. hopefully another clam and maybe some more acros..

not really.. I've had some growth and colors are doing well.. I haven't really done anything other than dose and feed and maybe clean the glass every now and then.. as the weather warms up I'm thinking less about fish and more about getting out on my motorcycle, in a couple months it'll all come back into balance..

March 29th I'm going to a frag swap so maybe I'll come home with some new goodies.. hopefully another clam and maybe some more acros..

LOL, another fair weather reefer :) I just downsized...what's the betting I re-start the 40B in the Fall ;) Have fun at the frag swap and be careful on the cycle (sorry - that's the mom in me lol)

• Like 1

well my blue and white maxima from PEA has decided to kick the bucket :(

I don't know why really, it had a little night time gaping going on after I got it but it's been doing better and better ever since.. it's been looking really healthy the last 2+ months, even looked fine yesterday.. woke up this morning to a shell that was really wide apart and clam shrunken down inside.. :tears:

• 1 month later...

we got back from a short 4 day fishing trip last night and we brought our dog home (he stayed at my sister's house while we were gone) and he seemed happy to be home but didn't want to go in the house or do anything.. he became lethargic and started breathing heavily, cocked his head back and was unresponsive.. 20 minutes later he passed away as I was holding his head up.. we think he had a heart attack or stroke.. house seems so empty and lonely without him, I can't believe he is gone.. :tears: it was really tough watching him go, and even tougher burying him and saying goodbye.. hell of a way to end a perfectly good fishing trip. Hug your dogs while you still have them..

we got back from a short 4 day fishing trip last night and we brought our dog home (he stayed at my sister's house while we were gone) and he seemed happy to be home but didn't want to go in the house or do anything.. he became lethargic and started breathing heavily, cocked his head back and was unresponsive.. 20 minutes later he passed away as I was holding his head up.. we think he had a heart attack or stroke.. house seems so empty and lonely without him, I can't believe he is gone.. :tears: it was really tough watching him go, and even tougher burying him and saying goodbye.. hell of a way to end a perfectly good fishing trip. Hug your dogs while you still have them..

Really sorry to hear that :( I would be a wreck if any of my dogs died. I can't even think about it.

You have my condolences.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Any updates to this tank?

+1 for updates. I just caught up and I wanna see moar! :D

well, there's good news and bad news.

I had a really busy summer with very little time for maintenance (actually thought about getting out of the hobby for a while), and I let my ro/di creep up in TDS (luckily it was well water, so no chemicals). Hermits killed all my snails except the dwarf ceriths, my dosing schedule somehow got way off course, far too low on nutrients, fuge bulb was over a year old, caron/phosguard weren't replaced in months, etc.

the damage: receding flesh on chalice, acros with STN, gross brown algae all over the place, very pale corals, the list goes on.

now in recovery mode: I have every stage on my ro/di replaced, got a snail pack from reefcleaners, removed optics on reefbreeders (corals seem much happier), readjusted my dosing schedule, and I'm feeding much heavier (and higher quality food). Corals are making a quick recovery and I'm seeing colors I haven't seen in a long time.

the future: adding t5's to my reefbreeders fixture, I want to see if I can squeeze more color out of my acans (they had more color when I bought them) and I also want to get light to parts of my sps that are receding from the directional light of the LEDs. sometime in the next few months I'm going to be moving the tank about 12 miles, the fiance and I bought a house and we're slowly painting and moving in (no real rush).

I'll post some updated pics once I feel the tank is at least close to the point it was before. shouldn't be long, things seem to look better every day. they were previously starving in poor quality water with high alk..

Well I'm glad its back on the right track, looking forward to some pictures! I have a reefbreeders photon 24 as well so it's interesting to see a tank that has been running one for awhile

the light is fine, though I'm happier (corals too) now that I removed the optics, and I'm really excited to be adding t5's. sharp lookin tank ya got there!

Your summer sounds like mine G. I pretty much forgot about it for a solid three months. The tank/inhabitants hate me for it. :closedeyes:

yeah, we had a lot of weddings and trips and things we had to go to.. and house shopping and ring shopping.. been really busy. I think most of it's decline is attributable to the ro/di and dosing getting off track, but not having any snails also let some kind of nasty brown crap grow all over the place. I hope your tank didn't get as bad as mine Pinner, you need updated pics of all those colorful lps :)

• Like 1